+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pet insurance recommendations

We've put this off for so long! Had a wake up call over the last few days having to spend $1500 on vet bills which could have easily been $6000 but our fur baby had a less severe injury than expected still not great.. but almost feels like we dodged a bullet and need to get this sorted ASAP now.

So here's hoping some of you have pet insurance and could point me in the direction of reputable ones that are worth the cost per month!

We have looked at guide dogs australia pet insurance as it seems to be the only one that offers $3200 for cruciate which is a high possibility for us given he's a Labrador, but does cost more than most of the others.

Any tips or advice on things we should make sure the policy includes will be a massive help. MY DP and I just get so lost in all of it and have put it in the too hard/too lazy basket for too long.

Thanks xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a Labrador who’s turning 2 soon. He’s insured under Pet Plan Classic 2, from memory, and that costs is about $90 per month.

Pet Plan is the only insurer that provides 3rd Party Liability eg dog attacks, human attack, damage to property etc. it’s not the cheapest but I’ve seen it work well for us. We feel covered, and can go to the vet when he needs without feeling the pinch.

Our excess is $150 per year, and everything else is pretty much paid out to the dollar. Our Labrador was seeing the vet often when he’s younger but he’s much stronger now.

He had kennel cough, was attacked, allergy testing, his allergy meds ($100 a month), and his allergy desensitisation vaccination about $600 every 3 months, plus the earlier vet tests etc. Castrations and annual vaccinations are not covered though.

Do look into getting insurance for you dog. We insured him since we got him at 12 weeks before any existing conditions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have petplan. My dogs 2x cruciate ligament surgeries were covered in full other than the excess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

Have you had you have any issues with payments of claims? Fairly speedy?
    @bezzy
    Did they ask for medical history when you signed up or did you sign pup up straight away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    All of my dogs have been signed up since 8 weeks old but my mum has signed up some of her rescue dogs and you'll definitely require a full veterinary history, and any existing conditions won't be covered (that would be the same across the board).

We've had pet plan for about 11 years, previously they took awhile to process claims but it's been greatly with a turnaround time usually around a week or two. They've never knocked back any claim in all that time (and there have been a lot...)