+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    it doesn’t sound like she’s really ready imo. ds did this and it was hell. we waited til he was ready and boom, zero accidents and it’s like he’d been in undies for years. ds was 3y4m.

we took the potty a few times in the car on longer road trips just in case, but we never really needed it. i think he used it once but that was at our request.

2.5 is still young and really, there’s no rush.
    Our experience was similar. DD showed zero interest, so we hadn’t even started talking to her about it yet. Then one day, a couple of months ago, daycare called me and said she had put herself on the potty. That was it - no nappies, no accidents since.

I don’t know if it’s just *my* awkward child, but any time I’ve ever tried to help her reach a developmental goal it’s just turned out to be a massive disaster. She does things when she’s good and ready

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

MissMooMumma (18-09-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
    Thanks ladies, I was thinking the same thing but as soon as she wakes up she asks to wear undies and doesn’t want to wear a nappy so I’m not really sure what else to do. Over the last few months she would say every now and then that she would like to use the potty ect. I kinda wish she wasn’t ready, I’ve also got a 7 week old so toilet training with a newborn is hectic! I am following her lead, and I’m happy to take a break if she wants to but she keeps asking to wear undies so I’m assuming she wants to keep going. This morning she’s sat on the potty without a tantrum so maybe making progress. The tantrums were only ever for the first wee after taking her nappy off, after the first one she was excited. We’ve had the potty in our living room and this morning she’s asked if we could move it to the bathroom so maybe she wants some privacy 🤷🏼‍♀️
    That’s rough with a newborn!
    I agree you can’t say no and if she won’t go back into a nappy or pull ups you can’t really force that.

When my youngest was training she was happy to sit on puppy pads in her undies lol
    I had a big packet from a cheapie shop I had been using for my Guinea pigs. It saved my bed and couch more than once!
    My daughter was not into sitting on potty in living areas either. She wanted to be near the actual toilet.

Hopefully it will click for her soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So the time has come. We are thinking of starting toilet training this weekend. DD is showing loads of signs that she’s ready and the other day one of her daycare educators said she’d been asking to sit on the toilet constantly through the day.

What sort of rewards charts did everyone use? I want to give DD some incentive and she’s been asking for some Moana stickers so that’s easy (and cheap ). I was thinking 1 sticker for a wee, 2 stickers for a poo. I’ve already told her first poo in the toilet means a little box of smarties.

So basically, give me your toilet training rewards chart ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Toilet Training

can i gently suggest, if she’s showing signs of readiness then why not just try her without rewards etc. she may not need it. my logic is, if you reward at first instance and it doesn’t work, you leave yourself with nowhere to go. i’d just try cold turkey undies, have a potty in the main area where she’s playing, and see how you go. if she’s forgetting to go, remind her every 20-30 mins.

ultimately, once they’re really truly ready, they don’t need reward charts etc. think about it, she’s asking to go at daycare and (i assume) there’s no reward charts there? i would run with this and see how it goes.

just my 2c

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Fair point. I guess my idea with a rewards chart is that we sit on the toilet so often with no success that she might just need a bit more encouragement to actually use it. Like DD will start to do her poo squat so I’ll ask her if she’s doing a poo. She’ll say yes so I suggest we try sitting on the toilet to do her poo. She’s all excited, runs to the toilet and sits there for a couple of minutes to no avail. Guaranteed 5 min after sitting on the toilet she poos in her nappy. Obviously if she’s in undies then it will feel totally different to a nappy as she’ll be wet etc straight away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Fair point. I guess my idea with a rewards chart is that we sit on the toilet so often with no success that she might just need a bit more encouragement to actually use it. Like DD will start to do her poo squat so I’ll ask her if she’s doing a poo. She’ll say yes so I suggest we try sitting on the toilet to do her poo. She’s all excited, runs to the toilet and sits there for a couple of minutes to no avail. Guaranteed 5 min after sitting on the toilet she poos in her nappy. Obviously if she’s in undies then it will feel totally different to a nappy as she’ll be wet etc straight away
    to me, that says she’s not quite ready. she’s just turned 2 hasn’t she? that’s still quite young don’t forget.

by all means, offer it and try but if she’s not getting it, i would leave it for another month and try again. i know boys can be slower than girls but it took ds until he was 3 years and 4 months. i’m sure everyone remembers my impatience and anxiety over his “lateness” to tt but in hindsight, waiting til he was truly ready was great as he literally trained in a weekend and has had no accidents since.

i reckon offer and see how she goes, but to me (and this is only my humble opinion), if she’s not pooping when put on the loo, and waiting to go in her nappy, she’s probably not quite there yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 2y4m. I’ve been doing a lot of reading about it and DD is ticking almost all of the boxes that they talk about for TT readiness. The only thing she struggles with us pulling up her pants/pull ups. The pull ups because they’re bulky at the back and the pants because they catch under the bum of the pull ups.

After her nap today she wanted to sit on the toilet, which she did. Did her first wee. Was very excited to get a sticker. Proceeded to give it back to me about 10min later So maybe a stamp for her hand and a sticker for the chart if I end up doing one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just jumping in to be helpful (I think ) - he's a link to the Bub Hub Ultimate Toilet Training Guide and there are some printable reward/sticker charts that you can print off too. https://www.bubhub.com.au/how-to-toilet-train.php

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-bubhub For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We used this one from Kmart. It has a book to read, 2 reward charts & stickers. U could used your own stickers if you wanted too. Goodluck

On another note, It has been a little over 2 weeks since we started toilet training & DD has taken to it like a pro. We have had hardly any accidents, tells us or takes herself when she needs to go, even when out at the shops etc. she’s so proud of herself & will tell anyone who will listen how she’s a big girl now & wears undies 🤣 I’m so proud of my girl IMG_7434.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMooMumma For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    oooh yes forgot that kmart has those books. we got the boy one for ds. it had the reward chart and stickers etc. he was gung ho keen for the first few goes then lost interest i also got a toilet book for him which featured a sound button that has a flush noise, he loved that one.