+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toilet Training

So a recent thread piqued my interest on toilet training - more so from the aspect of what to expect, to be prepared etc for when the time comes. I had no intention of going down that path just yet. However DD is starting to show interest in the process. The last few nights she’s asked to sit on the toilet before or after her shower. I’m not sure anything has happened, but she says wee then giggles when she’s sitting on it (and throws in a cuddle too while I’m holding on ). Usually she’ll do a wee when she’s in the shower so she is starting to become more aware of what is happening. Twice today while I was on the loo she had been trying to see what I was doing. It feels slightly wrong having someone standing in between your legs peering between to see what’s happening, but it was either that or she was trying to lift my leg so she could get a side view

I guess my question is, will it do any harm to continue to sit her on the toilet at shower time? Or am I best to wait until she’s really showing signs? I’m not quite ready for actual toilet training yet, least of all because we recently bought 2months supply of nappies while amazon had them cheap . I was contemplating getting one of those over the toilet seats tomorrow just to have upstairs for the shower visits. I do want her to be comfortable with sitting on the toilet and thought this would be a way to do it. I’m not expecting miracles to happen as she certainly doesn’t verbalise when she’s doing a wee or poo and she doesn’t always have an obvious poo behaviour. DD is 19m.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If she is wanting to sit on it, even if she doesn't do anything, encourage that! If she doesn't want to, let it go and just ask her next time.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (14-01-2019),MLadyEm (13-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    If she is wanting to sit on it, even if she doesn't do anything, encourage that! If she doesn't want to, let it go and just ask her next time.
    I think she likes the novelty of the process. Sit on the toilet, get off the toilet, close the lid, flush the toilet, wash hands She LOVES to wash her hands, so maybe this is all a ploy to wash her hands more often

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eh, does it matter? It's a) teaching her how to use the toilet (and hygiene) and b) making it a fun, positive experience. Roll with it I say! She will either keep showing signs and progress and toilet training lose interest and stop until she's more ready

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is how Ds2 started up. Doing a wee before he had his shower. Keep encouraging her. You’ll really know when she is ready. If she starts asking or taking you with her or even “holding” herself (Ds2 does this) then scramble to that toilet fast. We started with pull ups and now have moved to jocks. Still has to have pull ups at daycare as an incase atm til he is there. Might still exist and will for ages

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (14-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, that's how DS started, sort of. We bought a potty when he was a bit older and talked to him about it before his bath. He then used to sit on it (and do nothing) every night before bath. We went from there!

Yep, i reckon go with the intetest. No harm either way ☺

Ps i laughed when i read "It feels slightly wrong having someone standing in between your legs peering between to see what’s happening" given what you do for a living Maybe she's trying to be like mumma?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

JR03 (18-01-2019),MLadyEm (14-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS decided at about 16 months he wanted to use the toilet but he didn’t have the bladder control at that age to be nappy free out of the house so for quite a while he wore nappies but used the toilet before bathtime, swimming, going out and bedtime. It worked great because his dry nappy would last longer when we were out and overnight.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (14-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go for it. My girls were day trained by 20 months (dd1) and 22months (dd2) they did it on their own out of curiosity.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (14-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going through the exact same thing @MLadyEm so this is really helpful. DD likes to sit on the toilet, take her nappy off constantly and she loves watching me wee and dishing out the toilet paper.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (14-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post

Ps i laughed when i read "It feels slightly wrong having someone standing in between your legs peering between to see what’s happening" given what you do for a living Maybe she's trying to be like mumma?
    I’d never thought of it like that I’d like to think I don’t stare quite so intently at other people’s nether regions though

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (14-01-2019)