+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strawberry stem poisonous?

Oh dear, another panic thread from me! Sorry ladies!

I just ate a whole heap of strawberries and accidentally felt like I also ingested a bit of the green part (stem or leaf?) Of course Mr google says they are poisonous and should not be consumed especially if pregnant!!

Can anyone ease my mind on this? My obstetrician office doesn’t open until Tues. Maybe I should see a local GP or am I just being silly?

This food thing is really getting to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamptonsmum View Post
    Oh dear, another panic thread from me! Sorry ladies!

I just ate a whole heap of strawberries and accidentally felt like I also ingested a bit of the green part (stem or leaf?) Of course Mr google says they are poisonous and should not be consumed especially if pregnant!!

Can anyone ease my mind on this? My obstetrician office doesn’t open until Tues. Maybe I should see a local GP or am I just being silly?

This food thing is really getting to me
    I doubt they would sell them with the green part attached if it was poisonous.

Even if they were I don’t think there’s much your GP could do anyway? I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At a guess I would say it is dose related. Eg apple seeds contain cyanide but you would need to eat a bucket load to have any affect. Water will kill you in sufficient quantities and the list goes on.

Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (13-01-2019),BornToBe (15-01-2019),Californication (13-01-2019),Calstar (14-01-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (13-01-2019),Rachel3072 (14-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    At a guess I would say it is dose related. Eg apple seeds contain cyanide but you would need to eat a bucket load to have any affect. Water will kill you in sufficient quantities and the list goes on.

Exactly this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post

Totally agree with this! I know it's so very hard not to stress though because my first pregnancy I literally googled every single thing I ate and drank lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much ladies!! 🤗 It’s so hard, hopefully I’ll learn to relax more.. and get this food thing right! Loving being 9 weeks pregnant and feeling very blessed ♥️

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Hamptonsmum your post freaked me out too, not for myself but yesterday i gave my daughter a few strawberries without thinking and forgot to cut the green tops off and by the time id noticed, she'd eaten a few!!! Good news is, 24 hours later, she is not dead. So i reckon you'll be right. Bloody google. Id never heard strawberry leaves were poisonous. Now im intrigued and gonna google it myself. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    P.s. everything i just googled said the tops and leaves are really good for you and there's recipes for infusing them in teas and soups??? Bloody google.

Thanks
    Reviews