+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default what care arrangements did you have for your first child when it was time for the bir

as the title suggests, i’m interested to hear what everyone’s arrangements were. i’m guessing most people will say parents/in laws? i’m especially keen to hear from those who didn’t/couldn’t use parents/in laws.

my parents have said they’ll come and care for ds when i go in with dh, but some recent conversations have me doubting slightly if they’re up to the task. i was discussing this topic with a friend today as she’s in the same boat and she’s said they’re meeting with a nanny to watch their ds while she goes in to have her second. i’ll be having a cs so i’ll need/want dh with me first couple of nights at least as i won’t be able to walk around and do a whole heap on my own.

thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do any of your ds's childcare teachers offer after hours care?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough  (13-01-2019),turquoisecoast  (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Do any of your ds's childcare teachers offer after hours care?
    i’d need to check. a lot of them are my age and have young families of their own so it could be tricky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll be using the parents and in-laws, but I think DP won't stay overnight in the hospital after the first night, unlike with DD, when DP was there the whole time.
    Other options for us wound be friends and aunties (we would need to fly them in from interstate though, so not cheap).
    Hopefully we'll get into a hotel day 2, and DD can be with us, but otherwise it'll be both sets of parents.
    I'm in the same boat with a scheduled cs, unless this one comes early (unlikely).

ETA- I had DD at the same place you'll be going into, the midwives will take care of everything if your DH is not around. On night 1, they took DD to the nursery for me so I could get some sleep and brought her back every few hours for a feed.
    Last edited by SJ565; 12-01-2019 at 18:42.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    I'll be using the in-laws, but I think DP won't stay ON in the hospital after the first night, unlike with DD. Hopefully we'll get into a hotel day 2, and DD can be with us, but otherwise it'll be both sets of parents.
    I'm in the same boat with a scheduled cs, unless this one comes early (unlikely).
    was going to ask if you’re intending for a vbac or elective cs. which hospital are you having bub at? i’m going frances perry this time. i’m also hoping to go to the hotel (grand hyatt) after a day or so.

my friend did mention to me ds can come to the hotel too but i’m not sure if that might get too much? plus i thought some bonding time for dh and i with the new bub might be nice? although maybe that’s unrealistic and we just have to go with whatever works.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default what care arrangements did you have for your first child when it was time for the bir

My dad minded dd1 who was 2years9months. Mum was coming with dh and I (as he was useless, didn’t really want to go but insisted that he felt he had to be there).

I was a little apprehensive as dad had never put her to bed before, let alone she has never been minded overnight (he stayed at ours to make it easier). At that age she understood though what was happening.

I felt more comfortable with him than the in laws who offered to mind our dog for a few days- one less thing to deal with.

In the end it was all for naught as the labour and birth was really quick and dh was back home in 3 hours (it was about 9pm and dad hadn’t even attempted to put her to bed yet)

Dh brought dd1 to visit in the morning, I really liked just being on my own with bubs to bond and rest. I was ready to go home almost straight away lol but wasn’t allowed to go home for 48 hours so I just made a point to enjoy not having to cook or clean or deal with the awful reality of juggling 2 young kids-and I like hospital food
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-01-2019 at 19:03.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a csection with my second so we knew when it would be. DS went to daycare and then DP picked him up in the afternoon. We don’t have family available to us so we didn’t really have any other options.

We had lined up some friends to help if something went wrong but we didn’t need them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was going to suggest daycare workers aswell. Because it’ll only be a 1 off situation but whether or not they would be willing to stay overnight is an entire different ball game. It also depends if your going for an am/pm c-sec. With Ds2 I had a midwife in with me all night on the first night only because I lost to much blood with his c-sec so dh wasn’t any use. DD thru stayed in with me because I went into serious shock with her and was vomiting non stop yeah that was fun with a c-sec not.

Any close friends/neighbour or dh siblings etc. A child from daycare at all he is really close with where he could have a sleep over.

I was lucky as my folks helped our both times for me

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    With our 2nd & 3rd DH didnt stay the night as the other kids needed something familiar to be happening at home. It wasnt really that big of a deal - he’d visit all day and just go home late arvo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not pregnant, but it is something I do think about a lot. The in-laws are the only family we have so at a push we’d call MIL to come and stay with DD.

When I had DD my sister came and stayed with us for 2 weeks. She arrived when DD was 3 days old and stayed with me in hospital that night so DH could have a good nights sleep before we all came home. It worked really well for all of us and she has said she will do the same for next baby (although mum reckons it should be her). If I have to have a repeat CS I’ll get my sister to fly up the day before hand. If I plan for a VBAC I’ll probably get her to come around my due date depending on what I discuss with my obstetrician re induction vs CS. If my sister is here before I have baby then great, but if not it will be MIL. I know DD will be fine with her there and my protective instincts have softened ever so slightly as DD has got older haha.

At least those are my current thoughts. I also have a friend who lives about 2min away who could be a good overnight back up person, but she’s also a full time shift worker so might not work anyway. But in a pinch she could come if I needed someone straight away and hang out until MIL turned up.