+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Green olives in Jar.. listeria risk?

Hi ladies,

This is my first pregnancy and I am completely overwhelmed with what I can and can’t eat.
    I ate a whole jar of green olives the other day, I was craving them!! They aren’t on the no list in the general guidelines yet when I googled it (just to double check) I read that green olives in jars have been linked to listeria before - I don’t think it was in Australia.

I hope my baby is ok.. feel like I can’t get this food thing right

Anyone else had green olives in jar and baby turned out fine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamptonsmum View Post
    Hi ladies,

This is my first pregnancy and I am completely overwhelmed with what I can and can’t eat.
    I ate a whole jar of green olives the other day, I was craving them!! They aren’t on the no list in the general guidelines yet when I googled it (just to double check) I read that green olives in jars have been linked to listeria before - I don’t think it was in Australia.

I hope my baby is ok.. feel like I can’t get this food thing right

Anyone else had green olives in jar and baby turned out fine?
    Yes i have :-) i also didnt know i was preggers for 10 weeks and was eating lots of christmas ham and a wheel of blue cheese a week. Baby is just fine. Do follow the guidelines but know that the odds are minimal that you would cause harm. It helped me to make a list of foods i like, regularly eat anyway and are safe. Also made a list of no no's. Stuck thrm on the fridge to help me remember. You'll get better at remembering as you go along xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    olives from the jar are fine. ditto for pickles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cravings where green olives stuffed with anchovies and I ate jars and jars of them and have a healthy 2.5yr old that loves picked foods 😂😂😂😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It can definitely be overwhelming knowing what’s okay and what’s not and lysteria is definitely a real risk in certain foods.

If it helps reassure you, I ate olives (from a jar) and pickles throughout all my pregnancies, and like a previous poster said, you do get the hang of the do’s and don’ts as you progress along. x

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy, such an exciting time having your first!

Thanks
    Reviews
    They're pasteurised, you'll be fine. Congrats

Thanks
    Reviews
    the olives from the deli i probably would avoid OP. i believe anything in a jar would be pasteurized etc whereas things sitting uncovered etc have the potential to develop bacteria which can be harmful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

JR03 (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pasteurization kills listeria, however listeria can regrow even in cool temperatures. Just because it’s been pasteurized does not make it safe. Straight out of a sealed jar is probably ok, anything that has been opened I would avoid.

While listeria is rare, it’s outcomes are usually devastating.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

JR03 (12-01-2019),MissTwiggley (12-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    Pasteurization kills listeria, however listeria can regrow even in cool temperatures. Just because it’s been pasteurized does not make it safe. Straight out of a sealed jar is probably ok, anything that has been opened I would avoid.

While listeria is rare, it’s outcomes are usually devastating.
    i’ve wondered about how long is something from the jar safe. tbh being pregnant, i probably would eat it just opened then maybe 1-2 days after unless i was heating it/cooking with it, in which case beyond a few days should be fine as the heat kills listeria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I found the whole list of things to avoid overwhelming, incredibly restrictive and by second pregnancy when I just threw the list in the bin, very OTT. I think it creates unnecessary stress and panic instead of enjoying pregnancy.

My rule was no soft cheeses and limiting alcohol

Green olives are yum