+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Airbnb

Hi....

We have decided to go away at Christmas again this year and I have found some nice apartments on airbnb.

I've never used this before...is it safe?

Anything I should know before booking? They seem to have a block of bungalows that they rent out.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I haven't booked one before personally, thought I've browsed online for accommodation on their website a few times before.

I've heard mostly good feedback from the majority of people who have used it.

I would only book a property if it had good reviews from guests who've stayed there previously.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Molros (04-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi I have used Airbnb before, including right now in the USA. I have been happy, and try to have realistic expectations. You need to have a back up plan at all times, especially if it is for a longer stay- 1 week plus. Eg: with my current booking,, the host emailed me 2 mths ago and said he no longer had the lease on the property due to a few airbnb guests that made too noise. I rebooked another apartment and got a refund. It's obviously different from a hotel room. You could be renting a house or apartment in an area surrounded by home owners.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Molros (04-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve booked through them many times, both within Aust and overseas with varying results. Majority of bookings have been fabulous, spot on according to descriptions/photos/guest reviews.
    However as pp mentioned, you may need backup funds in case you need to rebook at the last minute due to cancellation and prices have risen.
    Check the cancellation policy before booking and look at the owner history to reassure yourself.
    Overall I would definitely book with them without qualms.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Belindalee For This Useful Post:

Molros (04-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

We’re in Perth and it’s down south. This year we booked a few mths out and had a chalet at a campsite. Which was fine we just have a bit more choice booking earlier as obviously Christmas gets booked up.

It looks like it’s around/linked to a resort so I think it’ll be okay.

I guess worse case it gets cancelled we get a refund and if we can’t find anywhere stay home?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    And the ratings are good 👍🏻

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Molros View Post
    Thanks everyone!

We’re in Perth and it’s down south. This year we booked a few mths out and had a chalet at a campsite. Which was fine we just have a bit more choice booking earlier as obviously Christmas gets booked up.

I guess worse case it gets cancelled we get a refund and if we can’t find anywhere stay home?!
    Yes if its Xmas new year or hols get in writing the full quote and that there will be no price rise, and get confirmation you have paid in full. It sounds like it could be a private owner renting their bungalow in the hols?? Look at the booking calendar for this year to see if it is rented all the time and heavily booked. Not that it really matters but sometimes I like to look a bit deeper to see what the arrangement is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Molros View Post
    Thanks everyone!

In my experience refunds can be difficult. The company I work for used to use AirBNB a lot and everything is fine until something goes wrong - that's when the fun starts. AirBNB are based overseas and refunds need to be processed through one of their head offices - usually Dublin / San Francisco and they don't seem to communicate well with the owners. For example the property owner may think the refund has been processed, when infact it hasn't.

Don't let that put you off though - we were processing hundreds of bookings per year and most were fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have used it and no issues. Pay close attention to reviews though, choose somewhere with a decent amount of positive reviews, I wouldn’t risk a new listing with a small number of reviews.