+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    Our weekly grocery budget is roughly $160. Sometimes I’m way under, other times I go over. It all works out. I definitely try stock up on half price specials that we actually use frequently.
    ummmm i need to see your shopping list!? are you still buying nappies for A?

i just don’t get where i’m going wrong. short of eating baked beans on toast for dinner every night? we hardly eat extravagant meals or buy expensive cuts of meat. i’m actually at a loss on how to be more economical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’m lucky because we are both very good at budgeting. We also want to buy land at the end of the year so furiously saving for that. We have got groceries down to $250 ish for a 4 week block. We have done meal plans for every week and just rotate them on a weekly basis. Nappies and formula is on top of that but we use Aldi for both so the cost isn’t a lot.
    Meal plans and not caring if you eat the same meal for a couple of days is what works well for us.

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    ummmm i need to see your shopping list!? are you still buying nappies for A?

i just don’t get where i’m going wrong. short of eating baked beans on toast for dinner every night? we hardly eat extravagant meals or buy expensive cuts of meat. i’m actually at a loss on how to be more economical.
    Only for night time sleep. So 1 nappy a day.
    I shop at our local fruit shop which is super cheap. We eat a lot of chicken breast, probably every second night is something with chicken breast. They are $5.99kg at our butcher so cute the cost of meat. And we eat a heap of salad.
    I don’t have to buy eggs as we have chickens. I don’t buy herbs as we have a vegie and herb garden.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    Only for night time sleep. So 1 nappy a day.
    I shop at our local fruit shop which is super cheap. We eat a lot of chicken breast, probably every second night is something with chicken breast. They are $5.99kg at our butcher so cute the cost of meat. And we eat a heap of salad.
    I don’t have to buy eggs as we have chickens. I don’t buy herbs as we have a vegie and herb garden.
    ahhhh ok. that explains a bit. does the $160 include wine?

ds is still not TT so nappies, when he’s at home, are usually 3-4 for day plus a night one.

ok so you shop around for meat. maybe i need to do the same. we tend to just hit coles our of convenience but perhaps that’s not the best idea. dh has chicken boobs for lunch with salad every day. so yeah, if we could find cheaper chicken, that would help.

i do need to investigate cheaper fruit and veg too.

we have a bit of a herb garden which helps. eggs we don’t use heaps of so although they’re not cheap at coles, i’m happy enough to just spend the $7 or $8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do you ladies have such low grocery bills?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Loh4 View Post
    How do you ladies have such low grocery bills?!
    yeah i’m beginning to think i’m doing something very wrong!! i’m going to try shopping around a bit to try and get lower prices, but where do you draw the line? like you can’t hit every single shop in your area as the time and petrol costs would outweigh any cost savings.

i think my plan going forward will be to do a grocery list on the coles online app then print it off, as it includes quantities and costs by volume for fresh produce. i’ll then hit the butcher, aldi and another green grocer in my local shopping center, buying what i can where it’s cheaper then leaving coles til last to fill in the gaps. i can’t practically work out any other way to do it. if there is, i’m all ears!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    3 adults here and we spend $120-150 a week on f&v, meat and staples . We buy bulk items like loo paper and paper towel on special and get butter , washing liquid and washing powder from Aldi cheap every month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    my favorite stategy: leave df at home. It seriously saves us so much money.
    I'm the OCD planner type.
    I have a reasonable idea of what is left at home, I'll look through catalogues at good specials for meals, meal plan, write the shopping list from that, then go over other sales I may have missed.
    I can go in with the list, (approx cost of each item next to it So I can work out how I'm tracking on the fly) I generally get enough for the week, then go.... I can get only what's on the list when I need to be disciplined.

Df however 🤦‍♀️ i joke he's my "biggest, most infuriating child", and that he instantly chooses the most expensive, least value items - that we don't even need or use - as standard to just bug me.

He still doesn't get unit pricing. We were looking at something the other day, he instantly grabbed the "value family pack" because it contained more. I was like "see how much per 100g" he proceeds to tell me there's 250g and 400g so the 400g was better value because you get more I couldn't get him to understand that the 400g was like 30c per 100g more expensive 🤣 it was such a painful conversation, and I don't even think we needed that item, it was 1 he just decided we needed.

I'm also sure he insists on things like cereals that ONLY he eats, and oddly the ones that are NOT on sale, just to make me cry... he does it every time.
    Or falls for "every day price" tags as specials. I'm sure he's a retail owners dream falling for every single marketing/sales trick In the book.

He got hard sold a vaccum, because he fell for the "here lift this upright vaccum *entirely up off the floor*. It's so heavy isn't it!? Could you carry that around to vacuum your house???" (No, No one would CARRY It they'd push it, it wouldn't be that heavy pushing)... vs the..."hey, see how light this is to use" *pull-along behind you style, only given the handle to hold*
    This would drive me MENTAL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to feed a family of 7 adults, 2 dogs for around $200/week.
    We are a lot of mince, sausages and chicken. 1 mean per week was a GYO (get ya own), another was a roast, and another was not counted as w would cook up all left over fresh stock from out shop on a Sunday as we weren't open Monday, so that was Sunday dinner.
    I used to do bulk at aldi, then fill In gaps with woolies/iga.
    Most cleaning and staples came from Aldi... toilet paper, paper towel, sugar, milk, bread, pasta, rice, sauces, flours, coffee, eggs, bacon, fruit, veg (unless cheaper elsewhere)
    Meats would vary, mostly aldi...
    I cooked from scratch most times.... so spag bol, lasagna, pasta bake, rissoles, hamburgers, quiche, soups, shepherds pie, casseroles. Often id use chicken pieces over fillers because 2kg drumsticks was the cosy of 1kg fillets. I'd steam then crumb them, plain bake, marinated, apricot chicken, casserole, seasoned etc with wedges, veg, salad, rice/fried rice etc. Sausages would be in bread, casserole, or with veg on the side etc. Cold meat was usually 1kg knobs in the plastic. Not great health wise but limited, you do what you can.

Now... We have 3 adults 1 dog and 2 kids (nappies only at night)... once a week we have an extra 3 adults... and I struggle some weeks to keep under 300. I saying that though, we eat steak, lamb, pork and chicken. We rarely have sausages or mince

Thanks
    Reviews
    We’re a family of 3 and our shop is always under $200, average weekly spend would be $160. I meal plan all dinners and only buy what I need that week (I’m not a ‘stock up the pantry’ type).
    @turquoisecoast I’m wondering if you guys might be spending too much on the bulk buys when things are on special (?) I know it saves in the long run, but if you’re simply looking at lowering the weekly cost it might help to only buy what you need for that week & leave it at that. By all means buy extra paper towels when they’re on special, but I think some other things are not so important to stockpile.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (04-02-2019)