+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cost of going from one to two

Hi all,
    Just wanted to get an idea of the costs involved in going from having one child to two.... I know that’s a pretty open question though sorry lol.
    Bit of background - it took us 9 years TTC 4 of those assisted but no luck. We both took time off to have weight loss surgery and the fell pregnant naturally after having a big talk about how we didn’t want to go through IVF again and decided we were happy to live our lives childless so that was a MASSIVE surprise!!
    DS is now 18 months old and we thought we would be happy with one only but my clock has started ticking pretty loudly again and both DH and I keep throwing the idea around but haven’t had a proper conversation about a second baby.
    We moved to NZ when bub was 5 months old and I haven’t been able to get work in the 12 months we have been here so financially we are in a tough spot, all our bills are paid each week but there is not a lot of additional money after that.
    We still have everything a brand new baby would need and obviously if #2 were a boy he would be set clothing wise too. We are still paying for nappies (would hope to have DS toilet trained before a second baby came along) and only stopped buying formula a few months ago so to go back to buying formula wouldn’t be a hugh deal. I guess I’m just wanting to know if there is anything else that would be of major cost when adding another child to the family if that makes sense?
    Did other people’s bills increase for whatever reason? Is it harder with only one income or do people just seem to make it work?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the biggest cost is reduced income, however it sounds like you are already doing it tough income wise anyway.

Apart from that, I found the jump from one to two negligible - my second didn't cost me too much because breastfeeding worked out which meant I didn't need to comp with formula second time round and I forced myself to use the cloth nappies I already owned to avoid the expense of buying disposables. I did buy a few things I didn't have with my first that I wished I'd had first time round eg rocker, decent sling. Apart from that I didn't have too many more additional expenses. Babies are pretty cheap, kids get expensive when they get older though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep going 1 to 2 didn’t really hit hard except for the time off work. We had most things. Just nappies and formula added to each shop. Perhaps look for a side hussle you could do from home or a few evenings a week ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We didn't find a second baby impacted our finances much at all. A second child, however, costs a lot more; preschool/school fees, uniforms, extracurricular activities, birthday parties, eating out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    We didn't find a second baby impacted our finances much at all. A second child, however, costs a lot more; preschool/school fees, uniforms, extracurricular activities, birthday parties, eating out.
    This. Aside from the additional cost of formula and extra nappies, we didn't really notice a change financially with another baby. A child though... Definitely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No real difference here. I already had everything. It’s when they get older it starts costing more money. Obviously if you travel or go on holidays things would be more $$ and daycare would add into an additional expense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!
    The only upfront costs I can think of would be a bed for DS which we would probably be doing in 2019 anyway so I guess that comes under “children costing more” then the new baby, and a new car seat.
    DS has soooooo many clothes and a lot of the baby stuff is unisex anyway plus if we have a girl is anyone really going to care if she goes to bed in a blue wondersuit

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are really lucky here when it comes to daycare/preschool.... it’s between $50-$60 for a full day and after the age of 3 every child is entitled to 20 hours free which is amazing compared to the cost in Australia. But yea obviously the ongoing costs of raising two children is something we need to consider if I continue to struggle to find work.