+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Just on this, anybody who says BF past babyhood is more for the mothers benefit needs their head checked. DD has started nipping me again and over the last 6 weeks I’ve had a run of milk blebs/blisters +/- some kind of infection (self diagnosed ) that has caused me so much pain I’ve just about hit the roof when DD has attached. Just the other day I noticed that I had blood in my singlet from where DD had effectively sucked open a milk blister and a small chunk of nipple tissue had come away. Which part of this was for my benefit I wonder
    Absolutely!

I fell pregnant whilst extended breastfeeding and oh my lordy, it was NOT for my benefit. I felt nauseated and everything was super-sensitive, there was no benefiting me whatsoever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    Absolutely!

I fell pregnant whilst extended breastfeeding and oh my lordy, it was NOT for my benefit. I felt nauseated and everything was super-sensitive, there was no benefiting me whatsoever.
    I know right. It's more a sacrifice than anything else. Mil's biatchy comments are having the opposite effect on me, makes me want to keep going. Why do people even care??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    I know right. It's more a sacrifice than anything else. Mil's biatchy comments are having the opposite effect on me, makes me want to keep going. Why do people even care??
    It’s hard when it’s your MIl, it’s easier to ignore the nay sayers when they’re friends/acquaintances/strangers, but at the end of the day your MIL should be applauding you. As you said, why do people even care what you’re doing with your own child. There are children in the world being neglected and abused by their parents people should focus their energies on those types of issues.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (28-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I BF both of mine until they were 2.5ish. DS was weaned due to HG in pregnancy. DD was weaned because it just happened - she did not ask for it and it just stopped (we were gradually dropping feeds anyway).

I don't agree that extended BF is for the mother's benefit. There were so so many times I dreaded feeding and wanted my body back for me. But both my children needed it at the time. It got them through sickness, teething and provided them what they needed. I am not sure how walking/talking suddenly means BF is also not required. My DD walked at 10 months and said a word or two. Is that too old for BF?
    I did not feel weird about it. It did not look weird. I was just normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I breastfed my first little guy till he was a month shy of 3. No way in heck was it for my benefit. Breastfeeding a toddler is like wrestling with an acrobatic monkey that thinks your nipples are as are extendable as inspector gadget's arms. At times it's really not pleasant. But he seemed to be comforted by breastfeeding so I continued. He's the cuddliest little pie and even after being weaned still likes to place his head on my chest to sleep.

I am breastfeeding second little guy at 8 months old and am expecting again. It's kind of annoying with the sensitivity, and my milk has turned white and decreased a lot as a result of the pregnancy, but I'm not hoping to stop anytime soon as it brings him a lot of comfort. He'll have a bottle to fill his tummy and then a comfort feed straight after. Maybe once the newest munchkin arrives, I'll still be feeding and then can tandem feed if the supply is okay.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (29-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What benefit exactly do mothers get from extended breastfeeding? Spell it out for me, because I just do not get it! (Although apparently breastfeeding does reduce cancer rates, so there is one biggie).

Personally I think the benefits for the child though, are obvious - extended immunity boosting and protection from disease. I have breastfed my first two for two years and am now tandem feeding my 26 month old and newborn. I actually really don't *like* feeding my 26 month old right now, she's down to one before bed, but I'd hate to cut her off when it means so much to her, emotionally and physically, through the time of becoming a big sister at such a young age.

It also comforts me to know, on the days when she refuses to eat a decent meal, she is getting high quality breastmilk.

Go for it OP for as long as you feel comfortable. In my circle nobody bats an eye at 3, 4 or older kids still having boobie. It's normal, it's natural, and honestly it's our wider culture that has the mental problem, not mothers who nourish their young children.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (01-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just weaned my youngest, he's 3y8m. I've copped all kinds of unsupportive and judgemental comments from my partner, my mum, the gp, random strangers....I've heard everything
    - he's too big
    - he doesn't need it
    - it's no longer nutritionally beneficial
    - he's too attached to you
    - no one else can settle him
    - you'll never fall pregnant untill you wean
    - he's gong to need you to breastfeed him at school!

List goes on...

We've debunked every single comment thrown at me. (Including falling pregnant )

However, I admit until I breastfed him, I didn't understand it and was uncomfortable around it once a child was old enough to verbally speak and ask for a feed.
    I was led to believe it was disgusting at that point, thanks to my mum's personal judgements.
    I'd never have said anything, just looked away if I felt uncomfortable.

But it all stemmed from being at my Sils aunts house. The aunt was demand feeding her 5yo, who just walked up whilst at the Xmas dinner table, lifted her shirt without a word, and latched on. She just continued her conversation, a few mins later the child just walked off, again, without a word. All I heard on the way back from mum was how disgusting it was (I was early teens I think)

But having done it myself now, I'd likely give a knowing smile and nod to any mum I saw breastfeeding her toddler.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 29-12-2018 at 10:07.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (01-01-2019),BornToBe  (29-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    My ds is a little over 2.5 and I'm still breastfeeding him. I never planned on going this long but he's just that kind of kid so I'm going with the flow. A few days ago I heard mil tell someone it was "unhealthy" (cue eye roll). It really upset me but definitely won't be a factor when I choose to stop. I was just wondering, what's the general public's view on this? I want honest responses. My friends have a giggle but I know they honestly don't care. It's only at home and he can go without for days when he's staying with grandparents. How old is too old?
    Feed for as long as the child wants. Don't worry about others. That's what I did.