+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Did anyone else not get the teacher a gift?

Quote Originally Posted by pollya View Post
    I have to say as a teacher, I keep every card, letter and drawing I get from kids. I keep them in a box and whenever I have a terrible week at work, I get them out to remind myself how much of a difference I can make if I persevere with a child even when they are at their most unlovable.
    I am a highschool teacher and so occasionally we get sworn at, have to deal with personal attacks (you know everyone in this class thinks your stupid) or even displays of physical aggression as kids deal with complex emotions or try to cover for learning deficits.
    I get it’s my job, and yes I get paid but I don’t get paid to give up my lunch break to coach a kid with reading outside of class so they don’t get embarrassed in class. Nor do I get paid when someone’s kid comes to talk to me about having sex for the first time, concerns about a friend’s mental health or to ask what to do if their boss at a part time job keeps brushing against their breasts (all real conversations I’ve had and was able to alert the parents and encourage an open dialogue between a teen and their parents). I don’t think a gift is needed, but a card saying thank you, especially if the teacher has been a support person in your kids’ life makes such a huge difference.

By the way, I love Christmas decorations as gifts from kids and I think of the kid and wonder what they’re up to everytime
    I put it on the tree
    I’ve been teaching for 21 years. I don’t remember every student I’ve taught but enjoy looking back in school photos of my classes. Currently I’m teaching kindergarten (first year of school in NSW) I have been teaching the early years of primary school for quite a few years now and believe me, you get given hundreds of drawings/cards/letters every week. It’s just not possible to keep everything they make you lol! Doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate it, I just don’t want that much stuff in my house. I don’t even keep every drawing that my own kids do.

One student this year gave me a scented candle in a glass jar with a personalised message and it’s really nice.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 23-12-2018 at 03:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I’ve been teaching for 21 years. I don’t remember every student I’ve taught but enjoy looking back in school photos of my classes. Currently I’m teaching kindergarten (first year of school in NSW) I have been teaching the early years of primary school for quite a few years now and believe me, you get given hundreds of drawings/cards/letters every week. It’s just not possible to keep everything they make you lol! Doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate it, I just don’t want that much stuff in my house. I don’t even keep every drawing that my own kids do.

One student this year gave me a scented candle in a glass jar with a personalised message and it’s really nice.
    I suppose that’s the difference between primary and secondary- less drawings and notes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel3072 View Post
    NOPE I stopped doing it a couple of years ago. Teachers get PAID to do their job. Do you get your local GP a Christmas gift, do you get the Pharmacist a Christmas gift, do you get the barista at Maccas a Christmas gift? My bet is no.
    Wow! No, I don’t. They may have a helpful impact on our lives, but we don’t see our GP or Pharmacist every week. Teachers however, have my kids for 6 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 39 weeks of the year! One could argue during the school week, they see more of them than I do! Yes, they get paid, but they also work a lot of hours, buy their own classroom resources and give our kids skills they will need to get into Uni, or get a job later in life. Personally I think the value a good teacher can put into a child is more than they currently get paid. And if I can make their day by giving them a gift and card showing our appreciation for all they’ve taught my children through the year, I’m happy to do it.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (23-12-2018),Foxy  (23-12-2018),hakuna matata  (23-12-2018),Jurodice  (23-12-2018),JustJaq  (23-12-2018),Lincolns mummy  (23-12-2018),LoveMyWay  (23-12-2018),Yogis Mumma  (23-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I actually bought my GP a bottle of wine as he has been so great to us this year. I’ve never been to the GP so many times before but life with a toddler keeps me on my toes! He’s squeezed us in when there’s been no free appointments, signed paperwork without me having to use an appointment slot, bulk billed us all when the practice he works at does private billing and he doesn’t mind if a couple of family members see him during the one appointment slot. This is way above and beyond what I’ve experienced with previous drs. We can be so quick to complain in our society that I like to try to show appreciation when I can because I know it can make a huge difference to someone’s day.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (23-12-2018),Purple Poppy  (23-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    I actually bought my GP a bottle of wine as he has been so great to us this year. I’ve never been to the GP so many times before but life with a toddler keeps me on my toes! He’s squeezed us in when there’s been no free appointments, signed paperwork without me having to use an appointment slot, bulk billed us all when the practice he works at does private billing and he doesn’t mind if a couple of family members see him during the one appointment slot. This is way above and beyond what I’ve experienced with previous drs. We can be so quick to complain in our society that I like to try to show appreciation when I can because I know it can make a huge difference to someone’s day.
    I think that bottle of wine for him was absolutely warranted. Its definitely hard to find a good dr these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got each of DD teachers and aid a gift. I think the work incredibly hard for such a small wage (daycare) they deserve something nice. I think as she gets older we won’t.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It seems to be a recent thing! Never did it when I was at school but now I'm odd for not doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I make a gift for each of my kid’s teachers every year. We have been blessed to have teachers that have gone above and beyond for us.
    When my husband had a stroke at the start of 2018 one of the teachers came to our home with care packages for my husband, me and the kids. And my oldest son’s teacher has been so supportive through his huge transition this year. I feel they all deserved the gifts I made.
    Perhaps, if they weren’t so wonderful I would feel differently.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JJZK For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (06-01-2019)