+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Serial catnapper...just leave in the cot?

I have a 6 month serial catnapper. He has 5x45 min naps a day which has been the case since maybe 2 months. I’m lucky in that he will generally self settle if I get his awake time right (generally 1hr40ish). I’d love for him to have less and longer naps but I’ve been resettling (*trying*) for 6 weeks and he’s resettled maybe 4 times?! I have only ever bothered with one nap a day though. I’ve pretty much given up on the thought of getting longer naps but..

I’m considering just leaving him in the cot for an hour after he’s finished napping and only attending to him if he is crying to see if maybe he’ll decide to go back to sleep. I thought I’d give it a go for a week and he’ll just have less awake time outside of his dark room Previously I’ve left him if he was happy but for no more than 20min and he hasn’t resettled but maybe if I’m consistent and leave him longer it will? Has anyone tried this and had it work?

Thanks
    Reviews

It’s been a while since I’ve had a 6 month old so can’t really remember the awake time but 1hr 40min awake doesn’t seem near long enough. I’m sure we would have been 2.5/3ish hours by then. Bubs might be tired enough to cat nap but not tired enough to sleep. Try stretching awake time out and see what happens.
    I followed the clock more than a tired sign.... a yawn meant nothing for my DD.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine (13-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful137 View Post
    I have a 6 month serial catnapper. He has 5x45 min naps a day which has been the case since maybe 2 months. I’m lucky in that he will generally self settle if I get his awake time right (generally 1hr40ish). I’d love for him to have less and longer naps but I’ve been resettling (*trying*) for 6 weeks and he’s resettled maybe 4 times?! I have only ever bothered with one nap a day though. I’ve pretty much given up on the thought of getting longer naps but..

I’m considering just leaving him in the cot for an hour after he’s finished napping and only attending to him if he is crying to see if maybe he’ll decide to go back to sleep. I thought I’d give it a go for a week and he’ll just have less awake time outside of his dark room Previously I’ve left him if he was happy but for no more than 20min and he hasn’t resettled but maybe if I’m consistent and leave him longer it will? Has anyone tried this and had it work?
    Not a popular opinion here but I did it with dd1 at 6 months who was a chronic catnapper (and general bad sleeper) with success

I followed the sleep easy solution and their advice was to leave them (as entering made it less likely they would resettle). If she became distressed -not a whinge or little cry- i would quickly enter to say no it’s still sleep time night night. My rule was 90 minutes in the cot. There were some tears but overall improved very quickly and within a few days went from 40 minutes -ON THE DOT- to sleeping 90 minutes plus, made a huge difference to have a proper routine and improved her mood immensely. Naps can take up to a week to settle but if you remain CONSISTENT you’ll get there.

Good luck!

Eta: a catnap in the arvo is normal at that age
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 13-12-2018 at 21:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would also increase awake time to 2-3 hours as you will find as they sleep longer they can handle longer awake times and vice versa. The shorter awake times and catnapping become a vicious cycle.

Eta: just wanted to clarify for anyone reading along now or in the future catnapping is totally normal and not much can be done to change it before 5-6 months of age- but by that age they have the biological ability to resettle after a sleep cycle and consolidate their naps.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 13-12-2018 at 21:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Not a popular opinion here but I did it with dd1 at 6 months who was a chronic catnapper (and general bad sleeper) with success

I followed the sleep easy solution and their advice was to leave them (as entering made it less likely they would resettle). If she became distressed -not a whinge or little cry- i would quickly enter to say no it’s still sleep time night night. My rule was 90 minutes in the cot. There were some tears but overall improved very quickly and within a few days went from 40 minutes -ON THE DOT- to sleeping 90 minutes plus, made a huge difference to have a proper routine and improved her mood immensely. Naps can take up to a week to settle but if you remain CONSISTENT you’ll get there.

Good luck!

Eta: a catnap in the arvo is normal at that age
    Thank you! I will give it a go then. Great to hear you had success!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I have increased awake time previously to 2-2.5hrs but it unfortunately it didn’t improve the catnaps and instead made them worse (30 instead of 45min) and had a terrible impact on night sleep (up every hour because he was overtired). Im hoping once I can get him napping longer I can keep him up longer and stop the short awake time/catnapping cycle!