+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default baby wont take as much formula as milk - having formula 1 of 4 daily feeds

Hi

Trying to ween the baby off breastmilk onto formula.
    8 months old
    has been drinking breastmilk from a bottle for several months
    now and again have supplemented with formula and she will usually take formula, all be it not as much as she would if breastmilk
    now trying to feed her formula for first meal of the day, shorty after she wakes up.
    problem is she wont take the whole 180 immediately and often much less, this morning she has just taken about 40.

i see our options as
    - keep tiring her out and giving her formula over next hour (she will take more but how much i don't know, also hard to fit in if solids are to be given in 1 hour)
    - top up with breastmilk to get to 180 (this doesn't help us ween her off milk & i wonder if she is clever enough to know she will get milk if she refuses the formula

ideas on how best to proceed to get her to take the formula for one meal a day?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Babies know the difference in taste and my son went for 6 hours with no feed before he took the bottle of formula. I had no choice. I was hospitalised unexpectedly at the time. He was 7 months old.

My youngest interchanges between formula and breastmilk quite easily.

I would mix both the formula and breastmilk in one bottle and gradually reduce the amount of breastmilk that you place in there.

What do you mean tire her out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She may never take more than she would normally breastmilk as formula sits heavier in their gut and she will be fuller faster and on less.
    Is she sleeping well during the day? If so, give the bottle within 15mins of her waking. If she only takes 40, give her a brief play and try again. How long does it take her to drink the 40? If it’s taking a while, she may be getting tired which will make her not want to drink.

How many feeds during the day would she be having? Any night feeds? How much does she weigh?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    Babies know the difference in taste and my son went for 6 hours with no feed before he took the bottle of formula. I had no choice. I was hospitalised unexpectedly at the time. He was 7 months old.

My youngest interchanges between formula and breastmilk quite easily.

I would mix both the formula and breastmilk in one bottle and gradually reduce the amount of breastmilk that you place in there.

What do you mean tire her out?
    Put her on stomach / play to make her expel energy and get hungrier!

Will start mixing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbleBubble View Post
    She may never take more than she would normally breastmilk as formula sits heavier in their gut and she will be fuller faster and on less.
    Is she sleeping well during the day? If so, give the bottle within 15mins of her waking. If she only takes 40, give her a brief play and try again. How long does it take her to drink the 40? If it’s taking a while, she may be getting tired which will make her not want to drink.

How many feeds during the day would she be having? Any night feeds? How much does she weigh?
    Drinks 40 is 30 seconds to a minute
    4 feeds during day
    Sleeps all night, doesn’t wake
    Not sure of weight but bigger than most babies I see who are several months older than her

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’d give her longer to try and feed. At least 20minutes. If you have to offer breaks to get her used it, give it a go.

The reason I ask of her weight as you can calculate how much she needs. It’s only a guide though and tends to be on the upper end and generally, liquids and nutrients from solids such as cheese, yoghurt etc would be included in the amount. The usual formula for a bub her age would be her weight in kg x 100 / 4 (bottles per day). That will give you an amount per feed. As i said though, it’s a guide and will likely be more than 180. Personally, with a big bub similar age, i think 180 plus solids is plenty per feed.

I think it’s just a matter of transition for her and giving her a bit of time for feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, MCHN line is excellent for this sort of advice. If you haven’t already, I’d give them a ring

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have begun mixing regularly, 3/4 milk 1/4 formula. Seems to work. Will probably up the formula content over time.