+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default was Your childcare helpful re toilet training

I am Sending a 2.5 yr old child for 5 long days a week 50 hours to childcare . During the week after Childvare isn’t time as she eats and goes to sleep within an hour of returning home each night .
    how much should the childcare be doing re toilet training .
    We’ve taken her on and off to the toilet for months
    She shows all the signs of readiness for months
    They told me weeks ago they d go thru a progression but it started and stopped fast with no communication

Weekends if we are out and about so we still put some nappies if she isn’t fully trained . We don’t get huge long days to train like they do for 5 long days st childcare . how much should they be doing to try her in underwear even thick ones or pull ups and take her every hour to really start to progress this if she’s with them 5 long days , she’s 2.5 yrs and showing so much readiness for months ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    can you take a day off work and do over a long weekend to establish the start of t.t. and then get daycare to continue?
    each time with 3 children i limited my activity over the weekend of t.t. to start it off myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    It should not be childcares responsibility to toilet train your child. Yes they play a role but it is your responsibility. Maybe your child isn't showing readiness signs at childcare or is shy etc around toileting there. They cannot force your child and shouldn't if it will cause your child upset. Why don't you talk to them and ask them how it is going? They will probably also ask you how it is going at home.

Even though my kids had long days, I'd still get them to sit on the toilet before bath time and when they got up in the morning as well as much as possible on the weekends.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Californication  (12-12-2018),Mum-I-Am  (12-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My childcare was very supportive of following what I was doing. I didn’t expect them to initiate it or take the lead.

While it might seem a long day to be in daycare, the staff have a lot of things to deal with and cleaning up multiple accidents a day might be difficult for them.

Have you spoken to them and been clear about what you expect?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In terms of child care, you're the one who ultimately decides if she's ready or not (and you decide if you want her in undies or a nappy) they must actively support you in your decision to toilet train. This includes taking her to the toilet regularly and keeping her in undies (if you choose). But, there really needs to be two-way communication and consistency. Both the child care and you need to be using the same strategies, otherwise it's just confusing for the child. Do they keep a log of toileting times? If they don't, I'd ask that they log it in a communication book so you can see how often she's being taken to the loo and if she's actually 'going'.
    Great advice mentioned above, start it on the weekend and when Monday rolls around send her in undies (pack lots of spare clothes). Let them know that nappies are for rest time only and she needs to be taken to the toilet 20mins after meals/ drinks, and straight after rest time when the sleep nappy comes off.
    Also, just a thought.. maybe you could establish it over the Christmas break and start fresh when she returns

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mist are not ready till 3.

My child only went to day care 2 days a week and they taught her they used a sticker chart and i did same at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Mine was very helpful. She was in 5 days a week like yours and they understood that I needed a bit of help. We had a great relationship with them which helped, her daycare was like her second home really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine were great. DS was in full time and they initiated the transition and really supported whatever decision we made. At one point, we had him in nappies at home and undies at day care just because I wasn’t ready for it all. They supported us 100%. I only hope DD’s day care will be just as supportive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Discuss making a ‘plan’ with daycare.
    Have her in undies at the start of each day.
    They take her to the toilet as per a schedule plus when she asks but if she wets 2 times then she is in a pull up for the rest of the day.
    I think 2 accidents then a nappy is pretty fair on both the child and the carers.

Try for a week then reassess.

If a child is ready to toilet train then it should establish rather quickly. If not leave it a month or 2 then try again.

Different kids are ready at different times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would talk to the educators in the room and ask if your child is showing any signs with regards to toilet training, or any interest in it. I would ask about what they do, and ask them for any tips.
    although your child is there 5 days of their week, toilet training is not the centres responsibility to initiate, or to do. They are there to work with you, work in conjunction with you, not do things for you. Sometimes parents get lucky and it h happens that "childcare toilet trained" their child, but it's often not the case, and is more luck than anything that it clicked easily for the child. Likely because the educators noticed the child was both ready and interested.

As an educator, and a mum, I wouldn't recommend forcing toilet training onto a child based purely on age alone. (I'm not saying this is what you are doing or trying to do. It's purely a generalised statement)

I am also personally against the having to take a child to the toilet hourly (however, I fully support regular reminders), because although they are learning to empty their bladder/bowel often, they still need to develop the feelings and muscles required to identify the urge, and go, and also to hold on briefly until they can get there. If they are being dragged to the toilet hourly, they don't have a chance to develop and practice these things. Not to mention the strain it causes on educators.

I find taking a relaxed approach, ***when the child is both ready and interested*** works best with the least amount of stress for all involved.

My boys have both been very easy, but both very different!

My eldest announced to me at 2.5yrs old that he didn't want anymore nappies, just jocks. And that was that! The next day we put on jocks, and never looked back. He did have the occasional accident, but it was very few really! I kept some mini mms handy for if he needed encouragement.

My youngest, was able to take himself to the toilet or potty for both wee and poo unprompted from 22 months!!! BUT...only if he wasn't wearing anything on his lower half! If he had a nappy or jocks on, he'd just go in them. It's been a long time, but he had his first full day in jocks last Tuesday (so, 9 days). He will be 4 in April. He's had ONE accident in that time, he was outside helping me wash the car, got sidetracked and wet. It happens.

Good luck.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 13-12-2018 at 19:48.