+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Arvo tea? I'd do a fruit platter, chips, sandwiches, jelly cups, popcorn, cheese and crackers....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    Arvo tea? I'd do a fruit platter, chips, sandwiches, jelly cups, popcorn, cheese and crackers....
    Thanks! I was thinking I might be over thinking food and should stick to snacks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default WWYD? Birthday party

Do whatever is easiest. For just a couple of kids, I’d definitely keep it simple. I always do party pies and sausage rolls, chips/twisties/cheezles/popcorn. I’ve given up on things like dip and veg sticks as they don’t get eaten. Do a bit of fruit and cake and you’re done! Fairy bread is always a winner and is easy as. Piklets too if you can be bothered.

Have the others not rsvp’d or said no? You may still get a couple more if it’s the former.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Do whatever is easiest. For just a couple of kids, I’d definitely keep it simple. I always do party pies and sausage rolls, chips/twisties/cheezles/popcorn. I’ve given up on things like dip and veg sticks as they don’t get eaten. Do a bit of fruit and cake and you’re done! Fairy bread is always a winner and is easy as. Piklets too if you can be bothered.

Have the others not rsvp’d or said no? You may still get a couple more if it’s the former.
    That’s sort of what I was thinking! The staples of party food as such. Least amount of effort as possible basically lol.
    Not responded yet. Fingers crossed more come in. Do I cater for having all yes responses if I don’t hear from them? I don’t want to be short on party bags and food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    That’s sort of what I was thinking! The staples of party food as such. Least amount of effort as possible basically lol.
    Not responded yet. Fingers crossed more come in. Do I cater for having all yes responses if I don’t hear from them? I don’t want to be short on party bags and food!
    I wouldn’t if it’s the majority. You could be left with a lot of food! You can always have extra but not heat up or put out the chips. That way if more show, you have stuff, but it’s not opened and wasted.

I always tend to over cater, but have cut down over the years. I’ve found that usually for 10-12 kids 2 bags of chips/cheezles/popcorn etc is enough. I usually get 2 of the large mixed boxes of party pies and sausage rolls and that’s more than enough. I don’t go overboard on fruit anymore either as once it’s cut, some of it has a limited shelf life. Stick to things like watermelon, grapes, strawbs that won’t brown or go mushy when cut so if it’s not eaten, you can put it away for later.

Most of all, have fun! The first couple of years, I spent way too much time in the kitchen as I did too much, catered for the adults who then didn’t eat so we had SO much left and was stressed about it all. Now I go by the KISS (keep it simple stupid ) rule and it’s much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn’t if it’s the majority. You could be left with a lot of food! You can always have extra but not heat up or put out the chips. That way if more show, you have stuff, but it’s not opened and wasted.

I always tend to over cater, but have cut down over the years. I’ve found that usually for 10-12 kids 2 bags of chips/cheezles/popcorn etc is enough. I usually get 2 of the large mixed boxes of party pies and sausage rolls and that’s more than enough. I don’t go overboard on fruit anymore either as once it’s cut, some of it has a limited shelf life. Stick to things like watermelon, grapes, strawbs that won’t brown or go mushy when cut so if it’s not eaten, you can put it away for later.

Most of all, have fun! The first couple of years, I spent way too much time in the kitchen as I did too much, catered for the adults who then didn’t eat so we had SO much left and was stressed about it all. Now I go by the KISS (keep it simple stupid ) rule and it’s much easier.
    Thank you!

I think that’s a good idea. I’ll have some extra snack stuff aside in case more kids turn up.

Thank you for that! I don’t want to over do it with food and waste heaps. Without a doubt I would have got way too much!

I’ve honestly decided to have a tea and coffee option for parents but they can help themselves to kids food lol I wasn’t going to offer extra for parents because I figured it would be wasted.

I love that! KISS I am going to follow that!
    I’ll do enough party bags to cover all the kids just in case and if they don’t go well I’ll figure something out lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Californication (02-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Thank you!

I think that’s a good idea. I’ll have some extra snack stuff aside in case more kids turn up.

Thank you for that! I don’t want to over do it with food and waste heaps. Without a doubt I would have got way too much!

I’ve honestly decided to have a tea and coffee option for parents but they can help themselves to kids food lol I wasn’t going to offer extra for parents because I figured it would be wasted.

I love that! KISS I am going to follow that!
    I’ll do enough party bags to cover all the kids just in case and if they don’t go well I’ll figure something out lol
    I love KISS too. I heard it probably 20 years ago and have been using it ever since

Party bags - have you got a Kmart or red dot close by? Our Red Dot selsl packs of 5 paper bags for $2-3. If you've already got the capes and masks, I'd just do those and a Freddo and/or small smarties. Then if you don't get more, you have got stuff, but haven't spent too much. And any spare cape and mask sets would probably sell as a bundle on buy and sell or eBay too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love KISS too. I heard it probably 20 years ago and have been using it ever since

Party bags - have you got a Kmart or red dot close by? Our Red Dot selsl packs of 5 paper bags for $2-3. If you've already got the capes and masks, I'd just do those and a Freddo and/or small smarties. Then if you don't get more, you have got stuff, but haven't spent too much. And any spare cape and mask sets would probably sell as a bundle on buy and sell or eBay too.
    I missed this! Sorry. I’m slack!
    It’s definitely something to live by!

We have a Kmart. Got most of the stuff from there and spotlight (they had good sales lol)
    I got df to get smarties from staff sales at work cheap and got some small packets of malteasers on sale and got lollipops.
    We now have about 10 kids coming
    So for food -
    Party pies
    Sausage rolls
    Some fruit
    Chips
    Lollies
    Fairy bread
    Was thinking I could make some simple vanilla cupcakes. Was thinking jelly? Normal kids like jelly right lol ds hates it lol

What else would I make? It’s in the afternoon so don’t want to overload kids with food but also want a decent selection. I am so over thinking it but need a good list so I can get exactly what I need lol was thinking of a small cheese and crackers platter for parents, what should I have on this?

I hate making food for other people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum used to do jelly oranges for our parties.

Cut oranges in half
    Juice oranges
    Scoop our remaining flesh and pith
    Pour jelly into orange halves
    Put in fridge to set
    Cut into halves (or thirds)

Enjoy freshly squeezed juice and don’t share with anyone else

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think cupcakes would be nice.

Chocolate crackles?
    I always used to make a white chocolate and ricebubble slice with a marshmallow topping. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

Cheerios / cocktail franks / whatever you call them.