+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    That does a little bit. Thanks. I guess I have done it within a week of getting an invite so I feel like they are forgotten about.
    Thanks x I’ll try.
    I'm an early RSVPer too. Most times I do it within a few days of getting invite. It's only if I'm not sure if we can go I wait until closer.

How long is there between RSVP date and actual party? I have found that the bulk of people will RSVP a few days before and a few days after the date. Some will apologise for being late, some won't.

It's hard, but I wouldn't send reminders until 2 days after the RSVP date has passed. And then just send a note saying "just checking if XX can make XX's party on the XX as we haven't heard from you. If you can please let me know ASAP, that would be great!" or similar.

Can you hang around at drop off one morning and ask? I've done that at school too when I've known who they are, but not known their number. It gets easier as they get older. Now I just ask the kids to ask their friend to ask the parent to let me know! I also have some numbers to text and ask as some of their friends have remained consistent. It's painful and I get stressed every year over it, but I've never had no one turn up. Mostly it's 1-2 that can't make it (or RSVP yes and forget on the day!).

I possibly wouldn't find it as annoying if we didn't live rural as I have to order in things for the party bags if there's a special theme and then end up with spares! But I'm happier this year as while our town doesn't have a party shop, there's a k-mart now in our regional center an hour away, so can hopefully get things from there. Thought DS is 10 this year and has been asking for a sleepover party the last 2 years. I told him he could have one when he was 10 for 4-5 friends max, so if we do that, I'm not doing party bags and will on,y have to worry about DD's!! Woooohoooooo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That is quite possible and very true. I didn’t really think of that. I guess that’s the sucky part of a party at the start of the year.
    I feel your pain - DS is an early February baby, so his birthday falls within a few days of the new school year starting. If I want to host a party for school friends I have to send out the invites way in advance (late term 4), then chase up RSVP's close to the date. I'm not doing a party this year (too hard, not organised!) but will aim to do one next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I'd wait until the RSVP date has passed, if still no responses I would take your ds away for a night or 2 and do something you wouldn't normally be able to do. Anything you've already purchased could be stashed away for future birthdays?
    Thanks, this was my thinking as a way to reduce the chance of absolutely no one turning up. I think i cancel bookings for things a week in advance with no loss of money and we could use the money set aside to do something fun. I just hate the thought of him thinking no one wanted to come celebrate with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks, this was my thinking as a way to reduce the chance of absolutely no one turning up. I think i cancel bookings for things a week in advance with no loss of money and we could use the money set aside to do something fun. I just hate the thought of him thinking no one wanted to come celebrate with him.
    That's understandable. But I'm sure it would bother you more than it does him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I'm an early RSVPer too. Most times I do it within a few days of getting invite. It's only if I'm not sure if we can go I wait until closer.

How long is there between RSVP date and actual party? I have found that the bulk of people will RSVP a few days before and a few days after the date. Some will apologise for being late, some won't.

It's hard, but I wouldn't send reminders until 2 days after the RSVP date has passed. And then just send a note saying "just checking if XX can make XX's party on the XX as we haven't heard from you. If you can please let me know ASAP, that would be great!" or similar.

Can you hang around at drop off one morning and ask? I've done that at school too when I've known who they are, but not known their number. It gets easier as they get older. Now I just ask the kids to ask their friend to ask the parent to let me know! I also have some numbers to text and ask as some of their friends have remained consistent. It's painful and I get stressed every year over it, but I've never had no one turn up. Mostly it's 1-2 that can't make it (or RSVP yes and forget on the day!).

I possibly wouldn't find it as annoying if we didn't live rural as I have to order in things for the party bags if there's a special theme and then end up with spares! But I'm happier this year as while our town doesn't have a party shop, there's a k-mart now in our regional center an hour away, so can hopefully get things from there. Thought DS is 10 this year and has been asking for a sleepover party the last 2 years. I told him he could have one when he was 10 for 4-5 friends max, so if we do that, I'm not doing party bags and will on,y have to worry about DD's!! Woooohoooooo!
    I think that may be why im stressed out so badly? I am a planner so things are planned well in advance.

Theres a bit of time between rsvp date and party. So i have wiggle room. Ok, well id be relying on daycare to send it out to all parents in a group message for me as i have no contacts for anyone (yeah im not a social person..) but maybe i am best waiting until early next week to remind people - especially with school going back this week isnt it?

Hard to hang around at pick up or drop off as i rarely see these parents lol also i dont really know which kids are which haha

We live rural too so i have ordered alot online and early to allow for postage. So i will have heaps of stuff left here if i dont need them but id rather have heaps of spares and ds at least have a few friends then have no one turn up and hes left disappointed.
    That actually sounds like heaven! Im so extremely jealous. I wont be rushing to do another kids party anytime soon.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Californication (29-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I feel your pain - DS is an early February baby, so his birthday falls within a few days of the new school year starting. If I want to host a party for school friends I have to send out the invites way in advance (late term 4), then chase up RSVP's close to the date. I'm not doing a party this year (too hard, not organised!) but will aim to do one next year.
    Thats exactly what we are dealing with, wish i had planned it right at the end of feb now. I was a little paranoid id have to do that with invites but luckily daycare went back early enough - well so i thought!
    Good luck with the party next year, Im sure it will be awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    That's understandable. But I'm sure it would bother you more than it does him.
    I think you are probably right, its me who is so worried where as he will have forgotten prety quickly. Especially if we are doing something for him lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you are probably right, its me who is so worried where as he will have forgotten prety quickly. Especially if we are doing something for him lol
    Exactly! And if he does say anything, just tell him that you and daddy decided to make your birthday extra special this year by doing xyz instead, how exciting is that?! And make it really positive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m a early rsvp-er and I hate it when people don’t rsvp. How hard is it to sms and say yes or no??

I would actually sms everyone and ask for an answer. It just gives you a definite. And failing their response then, I wouldn’t keep a spot for them.

My 16th scarred me for life. I had a sweet 16th and only 2 people turned up.
    My mum had cooked so much and had organised a cake and all. I don’t actually think I’ve had a party since then, come to think of it. It still makes me a bit sad.

Good luck xx

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff (01-02-2019),Jurodice (10-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We’ve got 2 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess it’s something!
    Thanks for responses from everyone x
    I know I need to cater for more kids turning up but how many do I cater for? Do I allow for the whole amount of kids we invited or less or more
    I need to sort food now. Arvo tea time. Pies sausage rolls still a norm? Chicken nuggets?