+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My eldest started sleeping with a dummy at about 7mths old.
    As she was quite capable of putting her own dummy in at that age i got an ‘airwrap’ for the cot and chucked in a few glow in the dark avent dummies each night.lol she soon learnt to find one when she needed it

Thanks
    Reviews
    It’s developing into my wife spending an hour or two in the bedroom with her trying to get her to sleep. Seems to fill with beans and energy right when we are putting her to sleep... even the dummy isn’t doing the trick so much last couple of days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimefather View Post
    It’s developing into my wife spending an hour or two in the bedroom with her trying to get her to sleep. Seems to fill with beans and energy right when we are putting her to sleep... even the dummy isn’t doing the trick so much last couple of days
    What’s her routine like? Does she need to drop a nap? Go to bed earlier or later?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl (20-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimefather View Post
    As she becomes more aware of her surroundings, it generally will be harder to settle her to sleep.

I have found that when a baby has trouble sleeping, it's usually because of:
    Teething (the pain will not allow them to relax enough to drift off)
    New milestone they have almost mastered (it's as though their mind can't shut down)
    Hunger
    Not enough stimulation during the day
    Sleeping too much during the day
    Bedtime routine is too stimulating

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (11-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did sleep training at around 6months for DD, part of which was throwing out all her dummies so we couldn’t reach for them as a solution A rough few nights and she was fine. Doesn’t ask for one and doesn’t steal them from her friends when she sees theirs! Also not much of a thumb sucker (which was my worry).
    She’s never been great at self settling, and reverts back to needing cuddles to sleep every few weeks. We cuddle her. Yes, it takes away from our own time and yes it’s not ideal, but once she’s asleep she stays asleep for 10-12 hours. As PP have said, hard to complain about!
    For me:
    - The end justifies the means.
    - EVERY child is different. You know yours best.
    - Consistency is key - and if you’ve allowed the dummy don’t beat yourself up about it. Don’t change your mind every night because you feel bad.
    - When you think you know what’s going on, her needs will change, haha. DF still struggles with the goal posts changing every few months too.
    - When she needs more to settle, it’s usually one of the above as @MissTwiggley listed.
    - ... It’s usually teething.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So it turns out she was moving from 3 hour awake time to 4 hours of awake time in evening before ready for bed. She still needs the dummy when I put her down but she sleeps through the night so I don’t see a problem with it.

I do find I need to help her along more and more in terms of holding her and walking around with her to get her tired enough to sleep. Also need to pick her up and let her almost fall asleep in my arms. I say I need to do it but maybe that’s just my perception. No problem doing it. Just worried about “doing the wrong thing” and building bad habits

Thanks
    Reviews
    She’s a baby they don’t understand good and bad habits. If she needs cuddling cuddle her!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough (20-12-2018),SSecret Squirrel (20-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm good with cuddling babies to sleep because I breastfed mine to sleep at night. Some of them until well over 2 years old. However I wouldn't be walking around to get her to sleep. Movement of that type is much different to sitting holding and I personally see it as a bad habit.
    If it were me I would do my best to drop that.
    I've had 6 difficult sleepers. As others have said this is a teething age and all the routines get thrown out with a lot of babies. I've fed and held and sat with my kids hours probably nearly totalling a year! I feel that frustration.
    Trust me though as I sit here in my seven year olds room while he falls asleep, some habits stick around and don't believe babies don't know cause and effect from a young age.