+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby now needs dummy to self settle

Right

I’m the guy who taught his daughter to self settle at 3 months through something like cry it out. I got a lot of attention here for that

Anyway from that day she was a dream. 7.5 months old and usually sleeps through the night without waking. Also just put her down wide awake and she puts herself to sleep once we get timing right. Have always had strict routine and something of a strict schedule.

Recently thought she started crying when we put her down. Seems only putting dummy in her mouth and holding her there (she seems to be wriggling and dancing a lot when trying to sleep) will work. Do it at night and she still sleeps through night

Any ideas what’s up and how best to approach it?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to firsttimefather For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (09-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your child is sleeping. And the problem is ... ?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1 (09-12-2018),Mum-I-Am (09-12-2018),SJ565 (09-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Babies and kids are constantly growing and changing and therefore their needs change too. She’s at that separation anxiety age, she probably needs a bit more comfort and reassurance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Your child is sleeping. And the problem is ... ?
    Haha, yes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She's sleeping through after you spend a few minutes holding the dummy in for her. You've come on here to complain about what exactly?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1 (09-12-2018),BettyV (20-12-2018),Mum-I-Am (09-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What’s the problem?

If you don’t want to use a dummy, you might have to cuddle or feed to sleep and if you don’t want to do that then who knows.

Babies change their sleep needs regularly. You’ve just got to go with it. Overthinking everything will just drive you bonkers.

My kid is 18 months and has only been sleeping through for a couple months and not every night. I wouldn’t be too worried that you need to hold a dummy for a few minutes.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

BettyV (20-12-2018),MissTwiggley (09-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to see everybody still so welcoming here!

Actually the dummy works most of the time but have found I’ve had to rock her to sleep too, which isn’t physically easy and for my wife it’s physically not possible

There is no “problem”. She has had a clear change in behaviour so wondering if other people have similar experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimefather View Post
    Good to see everybody still so welcoming here!

Actually the dummy works most of the time but have found I’ve had to rock her to sleep too, which isn’t physically easy and for my wife it’s physically not possible

There is no “problem”. She has had a clear change in behaviour so wondering if other people have similar experience.
    Yep completely normal have you looked at wonder weeks and also the sleep regressions. Why can’t you rock her to sleep?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

firsttimefather (09-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews

I have twins and couldn’t rock or feed to sleep due to logistics. I would have loved the chance to be honest. However my son went through what your baby is. We put exactly 10 cots in his dummy every night so he could find one easily when needed. Cleaning up in the morning was always a pain. We also introduced a ‘dummy bunny’ at 8 months (waited until allowed as per SIDS guidelines). We only allow them in bed. My kids are so excited at nap and sleep time that they get to see their bunnies. They grab them, pop the dummy in their mouth and fall asleep cuddling them for all sleeps. Don’t hear a peep for 12 hours (son) and 13-14 (daughter) overnight since encouraging the bunnies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don’t get why people respond with such attitude when people are here for genuine support!

All I can say is my bub had a major sleep regression from about 6-8months...it took us that long to realise it wasn’t a phase. He ended up getting a dummy on a chain, that helped dramatically. At the 8month-ish mark, he started moving around a lot, freaked me out as I couldn’t believe he’d go to sleep but it was him finding his comfy spot and exploring his space.

I’m in WA and we have free parenting support through Ngala, they helped us majorly through this time.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl (20-12-2018),Hasselhoff (10-12-2018),Mashie (10-12-2018)