+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st egg retrieval - 10 eggs 1 embryo :(

i had my first egg retrieval surgery yesterday and they collected 10 eggs. I was feeling hopeful until they called me this morning to say that 9 of the 10 were mature eggs but only 1 fertilised 🙁 I asked why. They said the sperm looked fine and there was clear evidence of the sperm binding to the eggs but that the lining of my eggs must be too thick for the sperm to have entered the other ones. Has this happened to anyone else? What can be done to change this? They are going to freeze mine as my progesterone is too high for a fresh transfer plus I overstimulated but I’m so scared it will die off before they even get the chance to freeze it. My next cycle of IVF they said will be an ICSI cycle. As today is the day after my retrieval does that make today day 2 or do they count it as day 1? Also how long can the egg survive as they mentioned to me they will check it again tomorrow to see if any sperm managed to get into the other eggs. I thought the egg only lasted 24 hours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Aquastar, I'm so sorry about your fertilisation rate. I know how devastating as it is as I had identical results my first IVF cycle. Remember it does only take one. My little lonely embryo made it to day 5 but unfortunately ended in a chemical pregnancy. I know it's daunting to think about doing another cycle but we did ICSI after that first cycle and 80-100% fertilisation rate then. Good luck! I will keep my fingers crossed for you xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Unicorn. Did they say the reason why none of the other eggs fertilised? At least I know now it’s something to do with my eggs but I don’t know if ICSI is going to cure that 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquastar View Post
    Thanks Unicorn. Did they say the reason why none of the other eggs fertilised? At least I know now it’s something to do with my eggs but I don’t know if ICSI is going to cure that
    Hi @Aquastar, no they couldn't tell us why. They just said it was one of those things. ICSI most definitely overcame that issue for us though and I'm sure it will for you too. I don't know why they don't just do ICSI every time. They do in a lot of places overseas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A friend of mine had a similar experience and she was told that's why she wasn't getting pregnant naturally, her eggs had a "shell" that was too difficult for sperm to penetrate.

Their clinic did split IVF and ICSI on their first cycle so they could tell what the issue was. She fell pregnant on that cycle and the embryo split so they ended up with identical twins!

I've been in the situation where I had 2 embryos in the freezer and both of them failed to thaw It was awful, but I was allowed to go straight into a new stim cycle when my period started. I have been pregnant from both fresh and frozen transfers, but there is evidence that FETs have a slightly higher success rate.

Think of egg collection day as Day 0, the next day is Day 1. Some eggs will fertilise by the time they check them on Day 2, but if it hasn't happened by then they are out of the game.

Our first cycle was pretty crappy, only ending up with one viable embryo which was lagging a bit and was a day 3 transfer. She's now nearly 5 years old and happily playing with her dollhouse at this moment - proof that it really only takes 1!

Good luck x