+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Caravan parks please explain

A sponsored post popped up in my news feed for a big four caravan park. We have a few days in January that we’ll be going away so I thought why not let’s see what’s on offer.
    To say I was shocked is an understatement. The prices are crazy, for the same price we can stay at a luxury resort or luxury Appartments.
    The price seems to be high even non school holiday periods.

What’s the appeal? Is it just a case people assume luxury resorts/ apartments will cost more so do t even bother looking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it depends on the park. They can be cheap if you have a van (well, cheaper than an apartment) but their onsite accom is usually comparable to other places. We've stayed in parks before in their units and it's good in some ways as there's playgrounds etc near by, but it was only about $10 cheaper a night. That was in a tourist town. They get chapter in non touristy areas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Caravan parks please explain

I think it’s because they tout their for ‘families’ and as a rule, *most* Big 4’s have a jumping pillow, some kind of water park/features, outdoor movies, go karts, playgrounds and during school holidays they have holiday programs for the kids.

When we’ve stayed at Big 4’s in cabins, they’ve been exorbitant, however unlike luxury resorts etc, they can generally accommodate our family of 6, whereas resorts/hotels we either need two rooms or inter-connecting which works out expensive anyway.

When we’ve hired powered site, it’s been very reasonable and we still get the same park benefits as the cabins, but also get camp kitchens etc.

So in answer to your question, I think they charge like a wounded bull because they can, they know they attract families and fellow guests won’t get as upset with kids noise/shenanigans as opposed to luxury non-family perse resorts.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 05-12-2018 at 21:50.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Mashie  (06-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big 4's are crazy expensive, especially if you want to stay in a cabin etc and not on a site. However, we loved them when our kids were little as there was plenty of entertainment all day long, kids could be riding their bikes at 7am instead of trying to keep them hush in a fancy hotel with nothing but a tv to entertain them. Afternoon naps were easy to contend with...the nappers could nap, and the non nappers could do whatever their heart desired.
    A non Big 4 caravan park you can get quite cheaply, and still access all the amenities they have. We much prefer our caravan to hotel rooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are travelling full time on the road and avoid big 4s or discovery parks unless they have a sale for kids staying free. They charge for each kid and I mean they classify a kid as over 1 or 2 years old. They say they have splash parks, parks, jumping pillows etc. but if you look you can also find these things run free by local councils. It’s gone beyond being attractive to a young family wanting a camping get away. I can see the appeal of kids being occupied all day long but personally we find bush camping and the kids off exploring us sitting down and not running to and from all the splash parks much more relaxing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't yet have a tent big enough for the four of us and at Christmas we are going away to a camp site. its costing us $1400 for six nights which I did think was quite a lot but maybe its not? Its pretty basic accommodation.

My sister has a caravan that sleeps six and its costing them $450 for the same period of time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We travel a bit and we never stay in Big 4s or anything. We either go to local independent ones or free camp between places. I can kind of see the appeal of stuff for kids to do, but when we go away it’s because we want to see stuff, we aren’t going to hang around at the accommodation all day anyways. They do charge a lot and if you have a lot of kids, it’s really out of reach.
    Often, it’s cheaper to stay somewhere else and then find a leisure centre of something and for $20 you’ve got the same amount of entertainment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a caravan and rarely will stay at a big 4. They do have a lot to offer but the prices you could just stay in a hotel.

There are also some lovely free camp places around

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    We are travelling full time on the road
    I've wanted to do this but I was worried we couldn't avoid not staying at caravan parks and they're pretty pricey. Where do you usually stay overnight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    I've wanted to do this but I was worried we couldn't avoid not staying at caravan parks and they're pretty pricey. Where do you usually stay overnight?
    We have had family travel all over with a caravan and majority of the places they stay are free camps or small family owned places that dont cost much.
    Look on wikicamps ap its meant to be good

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

MissTwiggley  (06-12-2018)