+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    400ml of milk at bed time is a bit full on. Is she toilet trained? I would assume a 5 year old would be well and truly out of nappies, but if she's drinking that much milk at bed time, is she in a night nappy or having to get up frequently to wee?

Whilst I'm all for letting kids do things in there own time in general, I think there are definitely some things that you need to help a child move on from so that they can grow and mature. Is she going to school next year?

At 5 I would assume she is old enough to understand when you explain things to her, so I would simply tell her she is too old for a bottle at bed, and she can have a cup of milk before bed but needs to brush her teeth after. It is definitely a dental issue. Have a chat with her about it, but your wife has to get on board.

Oh - Sorry I just realised I completely forgot about the sleep thing! And that's because I don't really see it as an issue! The milk YES, the sleep, not so much. Plenty of 5 year olds aren't keen to be on their own at night, and I think that's ok really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    ok now i’m frightened. ds cleans his then has the bottle. argh.
    Has he had a visit to the dentist yet? I forget how old he is now!
    I was shocked. I felt like a terrible mum.
    Dentist said it was also worse because DS is a mouth breather. So rather than saliva constantly swirling around, his mouth was dry because when he’s asleep his mouth is open and air is drying his mouth out.
    Who knew?!?!?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-LIKE A BOSS For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (04-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the reply and the additional information.

Our little one was at the Dentist recently and as far as the Wife reports no issues around poor teeth...cavities etc. were found. So not an issue at the moment...but might be an issue going forward. What the dentist did find is a slight overbite. I dont know if the use of a bottle at this age could be as a result of that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMrsRaven For This Useful Post:

Mod-LIKE A BOSS  (04-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My oldest had a milk bottle to go to sleep until she was 5. We tried many times unsuccessfully to get her off it. Eventually, I told her Santa needed her bottles for the baby reindeer (it was coming up to Xmas). She was so excited to "help" Santa. We even did up a parcel to post them. When they "arrived" at the north pole, Santa sent a letter to her thanking her and telling her how proud he was of her. No bottles from then on and no dramas. Her teeth however had suffered a lot and required extensive work. Even now, she has issues due to it and she is 11.

Seeing as though it's coming up to Xmas, you could maybe try a similar approach?

As for the sleeping, personally I wouldn't worry about that yet. Focus on one thing at a time. Either get rid of the bottle and once that's sorted, work on the sleeping or work on the sleeping and then get rid of the bottle. My girls still come into our room most nights, they are 11, 8, 6 and our 4 year old co-sleeps with us. I still slept in my parents bed or on the floor beside them until I was in my teens. After our first was born, I swore the kids would never sleep in our room, however when my husband started working away (had 3 kids at the time and youngesr was a baby) I allowed them to come in with me because a) it gave us all comfort and b) it meant we all got sleep. Now we have 5 kids and another on the way and honestly if it means I get a half decent sleep, I don't care who or where we sleep!
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 04-12-2018 at 13:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-LIKE A BOSS View Post
    Has he had a visit to the dentist yet? I forget how old he is now!
    I was shocked. I felt like a terrible mum.
    Dentist said it was also worse because DS is a mouth breather. So rather than saliva constantly swirling around, his mouth was dry because when he’s asleep his mouth is open and air is drying his mouth out.
    Who knew?!?!?
    christ on a bike. nah we’ve not taken him yet. maybe i should try and get him an appointment when we are interstate over the break?? i’m not sure if ds sleeps mouth open or closed, i’ve gone in there and he’s had his mouth open a bit but i’m not sure he’s like that the whole night. he’s 3 at the end of feb. i’ll start getting him to do teeth cleaning after the bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like your 5 year old finds comfort in milk. My child loved milk to 4 and then didnt want it anymore.

Try offering hot chocolate and a chat before bed time and reading each night and replace ritual with story time or play time ie puppets barbies etc.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butterfly Baby For This Useful Post:

JR03  (04-12-2018),Mum-I-Am  (04-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok now i’m frightened. ds cleans his then has the bottle. argh.
    DD is not quite 2.5 & has a bottle before bed too, I took her for her first dentist visit about 8 months ago & the dentist told me if she wants milk before bed & has already brushed (she usually has it while laying in bed so already has) to give her some water after to “rinse” any milk off her teeth to prevent cavities.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMooMumma For This Useful Post:

Mod-LIKE A BOSS  (05-12-2018),turquoisecoast  (05-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMooMumma View Post
    DD is not quite 2.5 & has a bottle before bed too, I took her for her first dentist visit about 8 months ago & the dentist told me if she wants milk before bed & has already brushed (she usually has it while laying in bed so already has) to give her some water after to “rinse” any milk off her teeth to prevent cavities.
    i got militant last night and he had the milk after his bath but i made him clean his teeth after the milk. he wasn’t that keen but too bad. it’s just a new routine to adjust to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i got militant last night and he had the milk after his bath but i made him clean his teeth after the milk. he wasn’t that keen but too bad. it’s just a new routine to adjust to.
    They adapt pretty quick. DD still brushes then has hers in bed but has her water after, the dentist was very happy with her teeth so we were happy with that. I think for DD is a comfort thing as she has her milk while she gets her bedtime story

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMooMumma For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (05-12-2018)