+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3 month old - suddenly can't be bothered breastfeeding for long

Hi all, I have a 3.5 month old and for the last 1.5 weeks he's suddenly too busy to breastfeed. I've had good supply up until now and bubs has put on good weight gain. He's always been great breastfeeding although sometimes he would kick and thrash - maybe my letdown is too slow or he doesn't get enough per let down? But he'd always stay on and get a full feed. Usually between 1.5-2 boobs which is aboit 4-6 letdowns.

The last 1.5 weeks he's just over it. Does1-2 letdowns from one boob and is off exploring. Even after a 5.5 hr sleep! I know he can't be full. As a result we are feeding every hr so I can get his calories in so he doesn't make up for it by being up all night long. And cos he's never full he is catnapping all day long. He also refuses to self settle now at all.

The thing is, after he pulls off he is fine. Happy, fine, no crying. But I know he's not full as he wakes hungry after a 40min nap. Any tips on what I can do? It's exhausting. Does it get better?

He also doesn't like the bottle but will tolerate it if there is breastmilk in there. He won't take any formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 3 month old - suddenly can't be bothered breastfeeding for long

It could just be that your supply is settling in and he is feeding more efficiently. You say you’re feeding every hour. Is that because he’s demanding it or you’re putting him on the boob? I would just let him demand feeds and see what he’s actually doing.

The catnapping is normal too for some babies. My DD was an excellent catnapper. Eventually she consolidated to 2 decent naps during the day and now does one solid 3hr nap each day (is 18m old now)
    Last edited by MLadyEm; 29-11-2018 at 15:36.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

JR03 (29-11-2018),KJane13 (29-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    It could just be that your supply is settling in and he is feeding more efficiently. You say you’re feeding every hour. Is that because he’s demanding it or you’re putting him on the boob? I would just let him demand feeds and see what he’s actually doing.

The catnapping is normal too for some babies. My DD was an excellent catnapper. Eventually she consolidated to 2 decent naps during the day and now does 2 solid 3hr nap each day (is 18m old now)
    This and as the weather heats up more frequent feeds are normal. Add to this growth spurts its fairly normal too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (29-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post

The catnapping is normal too for some babies. My DD was an excellent catnapper. Eventually she consolidated to 2 decent naps during the day and now does one solid 3hr nap each day (is 18m old now)
    Thanks @MLadyEm. Im feeding every hour, putting him on there somehow thinking this will solve the catnap. It has not! He used to nap ok, ESP his first nap of the day. Now it's all 40min naps and he doesn't even go down calmly. Soon as it's bedtime he screams. I'm putting it down to mental leap as he's suddenly wanting to play more and just so 'awake'. When we breastfed before 3 months old he'd snuggle in and fall asleep at the boob. Now he feeds for 3-5 min and he's off! It's almost like the boob is boring for him and he only feeds just what he needs to not be hungry whereas before he'd feed heaps cos he'd be chilled on the boob. maybe he didn't need it?

Ok I'm going to let him demand it and try to get back on our schedule. Before this we had a nice schedule of feeding 3-4 hrly. Now wth his 5min feeds I got so worried he wasn't getting enough we feed every hr! But if he's content and smiling afterwards I should just relax. Perhaps the bad sleeps are not milk related and suddenly he's regressed. He is never calm when I put him down now. He used to just chill out and fall asleep himself!

When did your little one go down to 2 naps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    This and as the weather heats up more frequent feeds are normal. Add to this growth spurts its fairly normal too.
    I'm actually the one putting him on frequently as I've been worried he's just been too busy to feed properly. So I keep popping him on. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with what @MLadyEm said.

Another possibility, as they get older the world is far more exciting than just sitting there feeding. For months I had to feed both of mine in a quite dark room. I have memories of bolting into the room DS slept in the moment he woke from a nap - if he wasn’t on the boob ASAP he would be too awake to feed properly. I did the same with DD - though she was a snack feeder regardless for a while. Have you tried feeding in a dark, quite room, either just before nap or just after?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HappyDaysAllRound For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (29-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the suggestions. The room is quiet but not very dark as the feeding chair is near the window so I can't draw the curtains. He feeds best when fall asleep so the feed before bedtime and in the early morning is the biggest feeds. When he wakes from a catnap he's wide awake so that doesn't seem to help.

Today I've tested out whether he isn't hungry and just feeding faster. So I don't feed until at least 2.5-3 hr between feeds. He's grizzly, after a catnap I don't feed him he seems grizzly and can't be calmed until he has a feed but he's not hungry so doesn't want much at all. Instead I just dragged it out and tried to feed every 2.5-3 hrs. Hopefully he's not up all night! The mhn thinks that him being grizzly is more did he's tired from catnapping all day rather than hunger but giving him a feed calms him down which is why it seems like he's hungry but she thinks it's not it's just for comfort.