+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fever and teething (?)

Hi! My little one is teething at the moment (a bl#£dy molar!) she had 39.4 today in the morning and evening, it did went down easily with Neurofen and Panadol.
    Just wondering is the fever because she is teething or could be something else!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I’ve found with Ds2 that his temp does elevate when he is cutting teeth. He has 2 2 year old molars to go and we are done. It’s been hell on earth for him. He also get the acid wee and poo causing the worst nappy rash you’ll ever see

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Maz40  (29-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz40 View Post
    Hi! My little one is teething at the moment (a bl#£dy molar!) she had 39.4 today in the morning and evening, it did went down easily with Neurofen and Panadol.
    Just wondering is the fever because she is teething or could be something else!?
    I know they say teething can’t cause fever or diarrhoea but I often found they came along with a new tooth 🤷🏼‍♀️

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Maz40  (29-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There’s no connection. Teething doesn’t cause fevers. It’s a longstanding and widely-held myth.

There’s good reason for it. The way our brains work is to try to find a cause for things; a reason. If a child is irritable, we’ll often check the temperature, and we may well notice that they’re teething. So we attribute the symptoms to teething. If we already believe that teething causes fevers, then confirmation bias means we’re even more likely to notice the co-occurrence.

There was some interesting research done a little while back in a childcare centre. Parents and staff reported child’s mood etc., and whether they thought they were teething. A dentist also examined the children. There was no correlation between what the parents/carers thought, and whether the child was actually teething.

During the period when most children get most of their teeth (roughly 6-24 months), they also have an average of 1 virus causing elevated temperature per month. When both events are frequent (teething and temperature), it’s very easy to assume they’re related.

Long story short...if she has a fever, it’s not because of teething. It’s most likely a virus.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Maz40  (29-11-2018),PomPoms  (29-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    THNAKS!
    I thought so too, but because is basically her first time with this kid temperature (+39) and her molar is clearly coming I was scratching my head and wondering if could be really possible.
    Well... I guess Panadol + neurofen, plenty of time water and rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to chime in, my son is 12 months old and also cutting his molars. He had a fever of 39.3, it turned out to be an ear infection and tonsillitis so if it continues I would get her checked out. My GP said to me in the past although medically there is nothing to substantiate fevers and teething, however, she believes they can get a low grade fever, but anything in excess of 38 would not be teething related in her opinion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Monty73 For This Useful Post:

Maz40  (29-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty73 View Post
    I just wanted to chime in, my son is 12 months old and also cutting his molars. He had a fever of 39.3, it turned out to be an ear infection and tonsillitis so if it continues I would get her checked out. My GP said to me in the past although medically there is nothing to substantiate fevers and teething, however, she believes they can get a low grade fever, but anything in excess of 38 would not be teething related in her opinion.
    Thanks @Monty73! I am keeping an eye on my DD if she still have fever tonight and tomorrow morning I’ll check with the dr. she seems better this arvo 🤞🏻