+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Might be low thyroid function too - that produces that debilitating tiredness. Blood test can check for that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I totally recommend you just let the judgements and comments of other fly like water off a duck's back.
    There really is no "normal". Most mums will function to a certain level, some will function below, some will function above in what they can do day to day.
    I have an auto immune disorder, currently in remission but I've had long periods of time spent entirely at home, just managing the house/kids because that's all I *could* manage.
    It's just reality for some of us, and frankly if people judge you on that, they are showing their own issues/frustration - it's not about you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Qawsed  (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve been having issues with my energy levels for some time now. My GP had no solutions (after a number of visits) other than to take iron supplements so I eventually met with a naturopath. I nearly cried in my first appoint from relief in finally feeling understood & learning the reasons for my issues. I’m a work in progress at this point but would absolutely recommend you see a (reputable) naturopath.

Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

Qawsed  (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd cut back to doing the bare minimum and ignore anyone trying to get you to do extra fundraising and all of that rubbish. There are plenty of parents with nothing better to do than be in the latest parents meeting at the school. Just be there for yourself, look after yourself and your kids, there is plenty of time for the 'volunteering' in the years to come if you choose to do it. If you dont, that is fair enough, you dont have to, some people love it, some dont.

One day at a time.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (28-11-2018),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-11-2018),Qawsed  (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes F the other mums! They clearly have no understanding of what you are going through in terms of exhaustion/overwhelm. It sounds like you have a good awareness of your limits, don't let anyone guilt you into pushing past them xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

Qawsed  (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If your Doctor feels that the fatigue is part of your condition, then you may not need to look further - but if it seems worse lately then some bloods to check iron, thyroid and the usual suspects would be worthwhile.

Ignore the mums, some people live for helping out at school and don't get that not everyone wants/can prioritise it. I work full time, so at least I rarely hear from those mums (at my kids' school, I see them in action at the school I teach at) so it's easy to ignore for me.

It's hard when you have an invisible disability, especially one that includes fatigue. Someone close to me has MS and, while they have visible disabilities as well which make life tough, its the invisible ones that she struggles with as she doesn't want to have to explain that yes, she could push herself and do something extra, but she'll potentially need to sleep for 24 hours afterwards. She needs to be really careful not to take on too much and will thankfully get more support with cleaning etc when her new NDIS funding is finalised. Thry have identified this as a need more due to her fatigue than her lower body not functioning well.

Are you able to access funding or support for help with household things? That way you will have more energy for parenting rather than wasting it on the other stuff.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Qawsed  (01-12-2018),SSecret Squirrel  (28-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your replies. My week got away on me.

Yes, I'm in the process of applying for NDIS. It's quite a long process (mostly just making sure we're prepared) but my Dr and Psychologist say I should be able to get (or fight for) a good amount of support in terms of both help with everyday stressors and ongoing professional support to better manage my condition, with the goal of better workforce participation. It's a chicken and egg situation: need money to cope (i.e. pay for help around house etc.), but need to cope to earn money. Hoping NDIS might help break that cycle.

But it's the real people (opp professionals) in life that I find really hard. It's so true that invisible disabilities can be really difficult for people to understand. That I might feel and look fine in a moment, but I'm constantly budgeting for the ways my body and brain will retaliate.

Yeah I need to ignore other parents. I think it's normal to wish there was a way they could understand? But I guess at least I have a few people close to me who do.