+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Uncertain results

Hi there,

I'm currently 26 weeks pregnant with my third child (9th pregnancy, have had lots of early miscarriages).

Early on there were concerns that the sac wasn't keeping up with baby, and the sac was measuring over a week behind. I was given a high chance of miscarrying again. I made it to 12 weeks and had my NT scan. I was told everything was fine and low risk, with downs syndrome being 1:932. It was only last week when I saw an obstetrician for the first time through the hospital that I was told my PAPP-A levels were borderline low (0.440 MoM), and that I'd be monitored for downs syndrome. Nuchal measurement was perfect and nasal bone was present.

My 20 week ultrasound looked fine, actually was exactly the same as with my other 2 children. Head and abdomen in the 80th percentile and legs in the 33rd percentile. I didn't worry at this point as both my kids were big with short legs. However I had a growth scan at 25+2 as my GP was as confused as I was about the mention of downs syndrome, that showed head and abdomen to be 50th percentile, which is fine, even if not normal for my pregnancies, but femur and humerus as 8th percentile. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the obstetrician about what happens next.

So after this very long post (sorry), I was wondering if any of you ladies had any experience with significantly low measurements of femur or humerus and what your outcomes were? I can't take my anxiety medication while pregnant and am really concerned as to what's going on, what comes next, and what the outcome may be.

Thank you for reading my super long freak out!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can’t help you sorry, but couldn’t read and run.

I hope everything works out for you both xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

Garden  (21-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    how distressing and anxiety triggering. no real advice about measurements and t21 risk but did you have nipt? that’s 99.99% accurate. if i were you i’d get that then see where the results take me. if that’s high risk, get amnio.

obviously the difficulty is being so far along and if you would’ve wanted to terminate, is that even still possible at this point.

are you seeing an ob or going through the public system? i’d be demanding some answers and more definitive testing/investigation. measurements are just soft markers and papp a on it’s own means nothing. mine was the same as yours with my ds and there’s no t21.

big hugs, you must be going through hell. but i’d be demanding someone take control of the situation and start getting some more conclusive testing done x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Garden  (21-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had this situation, Garden, but the measurements were a little worse. Happy for you to PM me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Garden  (21-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I had a similar experience. At 13weeks my baby was measuring fine however fluid and sack were measuring 15 days behind and my papp a was also low.

I have been having regular growth scans and baby seems to be well. I'm now 35weeks.

It can be really hard to get accurate measurements. For reference.. at 24w1d my baby's femur length was 6%. Head was 34% and abdo was 49%.

My latest scan was 34w2d. Femur was still 6%, head was 33% and abdo was 27%.

For me it was just extra scans and monitoring. No interventions etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Garden  (21-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I've called the hospital and have moved my obstetrician appointment up to tomorrow. I've had bad experiences with this hospital not listening in a previous pregnancy and birth, so I'll be pushing tomorrow for all screening and testing to be done.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    It is so hard isn’t it?

Just remember that the measurements do vary so much because a lot depends on angles and movement of bubba - so they can be out by a lot (as the head measurement was).

:hugs