ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Felt attacked on Facebook by an elderly lady

I sometimes post(share posts) things that are a little controversial on FB. Mostly my friends don't get into arguments. They sometimes just ignore my posts.

I posted something the other day and my friend's mum attacked my post publicly on Facebook. She obviously didn't agree with my post and that's ok but she kind of lost it in the comments and started calving me up. It wasn't anything too serious but she pretty much went into a rage.

I ended up deleting the post.

I have not met her but she seems to be the sweetest lady I have known on FB. She has a beautiful, gentle face and always wears a flower in her hair. I really like her posts and always giving her a "like" or "love" to her posts.I think she is about 79 years of age.

But lately, I notice she can be critical even on my really lovely posts. I love to draw and drew a boy and girl cuddling one another and commented that hugging is good for you.
    She commented on my post, "that sounds complicated"
    I replied, "Well all,relationships can be complicated".

Sometimes she will respond with "lovely".

So I had wondered if it could be signs of early dementia as I saw my mum go through this too. I contacted a friend who knew her personally as I was concerned.

She told me that it's NOT dementia but her personality. She can be sweet as apple pie and then turn on you suddenly and just rip into you. She said, "She just says it as it is and will tell you to your face if you are wrong or she doesn't like something".

I decided to send her a personal message of apology and told her I had deleted the post. I told her "let's agree to disagree" She told me that she found my post "very personally offensive" but thanked me for the apology.

I don't know if I should continue to let her see my posts now at the risk of getting attacked.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For me, I'd remove or block her. Or limit your posts so she's excluded... even just for a month or so?
    Life is too short to be worried about people acting out on Facebook.

I've unfollowed people that if I were to delete them it would become awkward, but they were constantly negative, poor me, my life is horrible, nothing ever happens.... it was mentally exhausting and draining to see all day, and seeing the depressive posts sooo often was affecting me.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 09-11-2018 at 23:03.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

peace4me  (09-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you’re going to post things that are controversial - your words, not mine - you have to expect that sometimes people will disagree and feel strongly enough to voice that.

Yes, it’s your page and you can say what you want, but people don’t have to agree with you. If you don’t like that, then delete her or put her on restricted.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (10-11-2018),Jurodice  (10-11-2018),JustJaq  (11-11-2018),Mod-Degrassi  (10-11-2018),peace4me  (10-11-2018),SJ565  (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, She isn't a troll. She's my friend's mum and apparently this is her personality.I put her on a restricted list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree that if you post controversial stuff then you have to expect people to comment.

I nearly created ww3 in my family when I called my Aunty out for being racist.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

peace4me  (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Guess it goes to show, just because someone appears to be a "sweet little old lady" doesnt mean they are. Old people can be horrible as well!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

peace4me  (11-11-2018)