ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Kids rash shirts/swimwear

Where do you buy your kids swimwear? In particular, rash shirts?

I want DS (7) to have some decent quality swimwear. He's back into swimming lessons next week and we'll be spending a fair bit of time in the water this summer.

If you have young boys, what do you dress them in on the bottom half (boardies/swim shorts/speedos)? I think board shorts look 'cooler', but practicality-wise maybe the swim shorts might be better for swimming lessons (?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are in the country, so not a lot of options here unless I'm in our regional centre. I usually get mine at Target as the surf shop prices are ridiculous. The last 2 times I've gotten DS a piping hot one and its lasted until he grew out of it. DD's last ones I got from Best and Less as couldn't find her size anywhere else and they are lasting OK too. Big W ones are rubbish though and get thin pretty quickly.

DS wears boardies and swims fine in them. I always get him ones that fit well though, not ones that are too big or too long.

What I have noticed though, is if we go to the beach, their rashies suddenly are thin and have bare patches. I think the salt must react with the chlorine as they can be fine before we go and wrecked after! So I now have a beach set and a pool set. It's happened to us twice - once with a new set . Not sure why - we'd not had a problem until last year, so I'm wondering if the pool chemicals have changed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (09-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I buy surf brand swimwear. Any time the kids have had cheaper swimmers, they haven't lasted well. I'm not sure if it's because we swim at the beach a lot though.

I either buy from the sale rack out of season, or from Surfstitch as they usually have good sales on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a factory outlet at Ashmore here on the Gold Coast that has Billabong, Quicksilver and a few others. I usually get our stuff there since most of it is just last years primo stock.

For bottoms he wears speedos, I tried giving him boardies too but he just took them off.

At swimming lessons he doesn't wear a rashy at all, just his speedos because it's an indoor pool.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really like the target stuff for my kids. We don’t go to the beach a lot, maybe 1-2 times per summer, but they get used in chlorine frequently and always last all summer. DDs were a bit big last summer and will be fine for this summer too.

We’ve bought Speedo’s stuff in the past and whilst it’s good quality, I find the sizing to be really off. When she was wearing a size 5 in everything else, her size 7 Speedo one piece was so small you could see her nipples

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i took ds to a surf store. nowhere else had anything that we liked or the quality was missing. it cost far more than i was hoping to spend but i got the rashie in a size up so hopefully it lasts him 2 years.1D877005-F39A-46F3-8164-EFED48D80EBD.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Anothe one here who buys surf brands. Expensive but I just buy one pair a year and they get worn maybe 80-100 times before going in the bin so I don’t mind the expense.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    When ds1 was little his used to wear a French style tight speedo material short if you understand that. Now at 11 he wears boardies. I just get them from Kmart/target and never had issues and yes they are cheaper but he can have a couple pairs. Rash vest wise I bought a target one 2.5 yrs ago and it’s still going. We have a pool and live near the beach so it’s used a lot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to get rashies for my kids from the Cancer Council shop or Speedos brand. Cancer Council ones last for years - they are expensive but worth spending the extra money. Speedo brand can be small for size and mostly last really well - I think we have bought one that didn't make the distance but the rest were great.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve found surf brands to last just as poorly as cheap brands. I’ve given up on spending more money in the hopes of them lasting, and just go for Target or Cotton On now.

Although I did have a rashie from Kmart which was awful...lost about half its colour after a single wear (of about an hour)!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post: