+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I’m so very very sorry. Heaven has a new angel. Fly high sweet girl xx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to granny1 For This Useful Post:

Furmumma (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Furmumma View Post
    A heartbreaking update, I said goodbye to my sweet girl this morning. I feel like my heart has shattered into a million pieces even though I know I did what was best for her. The vet checked her over and said that whilst she could have gone on she will only continue to deteriorate and it was probably kinder to let her go now before she gets worse. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done but it was so peaceful. She was sedated and she laid down with her head resting on my arm and went to sleep. She’s now at peace and not in any pain.

Thank you again for all your responses and taking the time to share your experiences. I know it’s not any easy thing to do xx
    Big hugs! I’m sorry for your loss

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Furmumma (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are not at this point yet with our older dog but I am unsure how much time he has left. It's really tough. I don't want him to suffer but it's also hard to know if it's too early to make that call too. It's tough. I'd take any recommendation the vet offers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pvroom For This Useful Post:

Furmumma (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by granny1 View Post
    I am so sorry to read this .
    We have a 15 yr old lab x golden retriever who suffers from arthritis. We don’t think he will make it to Christmas this year . For now he is ok and doesn’t seem to be in pain but he is certainly sleeping more during the day and not as active as he was 4 weeks ago. I’ve got an appt on Monday at the vet for a check up but I don’t think he will be with us much longer .. he has changed so much in just 4 weeks. It’s breaking my heart.
    This is the same as us but our boy is 11. He lies around all day and struggles to get up. We've tried pain meds but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference and it's so expensive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you know when it’s time to let them go?

Big hugs, I’m so sorry. We went through the same torment with our cat (he was only 10) and finally had to make the decision. I hate that we had to do it but the vet assured me it was only going to get worse and it wasn’t fair. They gave us some forget me not seeds to plant in his memory and a beautiful poem. We miss him so much, I still miss walking in the door and he’s sitting there waiting for us (he thought he was a dog )

IMG_5469.jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Furmumma (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m so very very sorry. Heaven has a new angel. Fly high sweet girl xx
    Granny I just saw that you replied to me about your Lab. I look at things like ‘what would they do if they could do anything’ - stuff like being able to jump in the car to go for a ride, chasing a ball, being able to toilet independently. It’s very hard without knowing your dog what sort of things but I ask questions about normal everyday things that they can’t do anymore that they show signs that they still want to do, or that they try and fail.

Hope that helps a bit.

Furmumma I’m glad this morning was peaceful, over time it will become easier but never feel bad about grieving for a family member even if it ‘is just an animal’, we all know that they are never just an animal, they are part of our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thinking of you @Furmumma and sending more hugs your way. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Big hugs.. we recently had to have our 12 year old staffy put to sleep as well. About a month before she started breathing funny, 2 weeks later decided to take her to the vet and an X-ray showed her lungs were white. They suspected either pneumonia or cancer. We took her home on antibiotics but she didn’t improve, another X-ray showed it had gotten worse. Dp had resigned to the fact he may not be coming home with her that day, but once there started asking about possible treatments they had gone over in the previous appointment like lung rinse to get a sample of what it was, asked about different antibiotics etc.. at this point the vet said (as kindly as possible) look, the best course of action is to basically put her on palliative care.. take her home, love her for a few days, then make an appointment to come back and have her put to sleep. He decided he wouldn’t be able to go through with taking her home knowing she would be going in a few days and decided to do it right then. By this point she was very much struggling to breathe. So her last breath was a bittersweet one. Very hard day.

Basically if the vet says it’s time and it’s the best thing you can do for them, then you know it’s time. They don’t make that decision lightly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This afternoon we had to put our 16 yr old boy to sleep. He was getting worse over the weekend so we made the decision today. At 5.15pm he took his last doggy breath. We will miss him every single day.

Fly high our darling Harvey .. way that tail and chase pussy cats to your hearts content. We love you

Thanks
    Reviews
    This afternoon we had to put our 16 yr old boy to sleep. He was getting worse over the weekend so we made the decision today. At 5.15pm he took his last doggy breath. We will miss him every single day.

Fly high our darling Harvey .. way that tail and chase pussy cats to your hearts content. We love you
    Oh @granny1 I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard to say goodbye. Big hugs xxx