Threaded View

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’m tearing up as I read this thread. This was something I agonised over with my beloved Lab. It’s almost 2 years and I still doubt that I made the right decision.

The last few days he had lost his appetite, and he always loved his food. And with his arthritis he could barely walk. He was still wagging his tail, but I also knew from previous experience that he would put it on for me, to be alright. Several years before he had hurt his leg and I didn’t think it was as bad as it was - if I manipulated it he wouldn’t whimper or anything, but he was limping. As soon as the vet touched it he whimpered - he was masking his pain. So I knew I couldn’t take his tail still wagging as a sign.

When we took him to the vet I expected him to come home with us, but at the same time I was expecting to not bring him home. I agonised over the decision at the vet - I was being selfish more than anything. But I looked at my “puppy” and knew that it wasn’t fair on him.

And now I’m bawling my eyes out writing about it!!! It’s been 2 years next week and I still miss him like crazy. The hormones for IVF aren’t helping right now either.
    @granny1 your lab sounds like mine, not showing how much pain he is in. My only advice is to watch him and how he reacts. If he’s going to show pain he will show it there. Look in his eyes as well - labs are so expressive in their eyes. That was how I knew, when I looked in his eyes at the vet.

And now I’m going to go hug my stuffed Lab that I bought in remembrance and cry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pcos30 For This Useful Post:

Furmumma (09-11-2018)