+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any tricks to settling a newborn baby

I'm just at a loss how to settle a very unsettled baby. I have tried everything I can think of. This baby is fully formula feed my other 2 were breastfed and I can't believe how much I relied on my milk for everything!!

So I'm all over the 4th trimester thing he is in a wrap with me all day but still unsettled we have just moved him to another formula because maybe that's the issue. Tried infants friend but it doesn't look like he has wind, talking to the doctor today he thinks maybe silent reflux, but after coming home and "googling" I really don't think that's it. His exhausted the poor little thing he is so overtired. His hardly sleeping at all because his so upset. I've booked a midwife home visit who can hopefully work out what I'm doing wrong, but that's not until Monday and I can't see him this unsettled all weekend.

So hit me with all your baby settling techniques

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He’s not overdressed/underdressed?

Too much stimulation? Not enough stimulation?

Have you looked at the wonder weeks? Could he be going through a developmental leap?

Can you just jump in the bath with him and enjoy some quiet time together. I know he’s not BF but he might just enjoy some skin to skin time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I’m sure you aren’t doing anything wrong.

I agree, bath or cuddle in the shower always calmed DD down, still does.

A walk outside, depending on how hot it is where you are.

Some calming music and a little baby massage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any tricks to settling a newborn baby

White noise on phone or soft piano based music
    Fresh air
    If it’s been over and hour , Start ‘routine’ again with nappy change/ swaddle , even if dry.
    I believe sleep promotes sleep. So maybe a car drive or pram walk just to make them sleep, so at least it’s stopped the no sleep in it’s tracks even a little bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd try and get him to do 15min of skin to skin with him mum every day before night time sleep much calmer.

I've been trying the bore them to sleep method because I was worried about DD being over stimulated. It seems to work
    Last edited by CharlieDE; 02-11-2018 at 12:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2nd was dairy intolerant so really unsettled until the diary started leaving his system. Biggest sign in stingy poop even with formula. Maybe try a dairy free formula I can’t for the life of me remember what it was though sorry. Chemist warehouse where the only ones that actually stocked it around $25 a tin

Has your dd going do you think ds needs more time with her ? It can be strange how babies know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Best thing I ever did was look up DUNSTANS BABY LANGUAGE on you tube. There are distinct cries in the first 12 or so weeks. This woman was on Oprah, and it really works. I cant believe it never took off, other than because there is so much money to be made in the "baby sleep" industry just like in the weight loss industry.

According to Dunstan, the five universal words (or sound reflexes) used by infants are:[3]
    • Neh (I'm hungry) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Neh" to communicate its hunger. The sound is produced when the sucking reflex is triggered, and the tongue is pushed up on the roof of the mouth.
    • Owh (I'm sleepy) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Owh" to communicate that they are tired. The sound is produced much like an audible yawn.
    • Heh (I'm experiencing discomfort) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Heh" to communicate stress, discomfort, or perhaps that it needs a fresh diaper. The sound is produced by a response to a skin reflex, such as feeling sweat or itchiness in the bum.
    • Eairh (I have lower gas) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Eairh" to communicate they have flatulence or an upset stomach. The sound is produced when trapped air from a belch is unable to release and travels to the stomach where the muscles of the intestines tighten to force the air bubble out. Often, this sound will indicate that a bowel movement is in progress, and the infant will bend its knees, bringing the legs toward the torso. This leg movement assists in the ongoing process.
    • Eh (I need to be burped) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Eh" to communicate that it needs to be burped. The sound is produced when a large bubble of trapped air is caught in the chest, and the reflex is trying to release this out of the mouth

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (14-11-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to just lay him on my chest right at my heart he always used to go to sleep quickly when I did that even when he was over tired.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

Bloom Bloom (14-11-2018)