+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fiji, Thailand or Bali

Hi. We are a family of six. Kids are ages 8,10,12,13. We are looking at going to one of these three places for a week next year for my husband 40th. We are planning on going in March so left it a bit late to save so trying to find out the costs on travelling to these places.
    Any advice on these places? And price estimate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We loved Fiji. Our DD was a baby when we went but there were plenty of kids the same age as yours and they were having a ball.

No help with budget, the place we stayed at was wonderful but on the expensive side.

Maybe check of luxury escapes for some good deals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have a look at hoot holidays. They have deals for all those places. Try for an all inclusive - food and drink. We did this for fiji naviti. It was extremely good value. Didn't spend a cent. Kids could eat and drink as little or as much as they wanted. I refuse to pay resort prices for food so this suited us. I think it was about $6500 for 9 days incl 2 rooms and flights for 5 of us. The resort was a bit tired but overall it was a great holiday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you on the east coast or west coast? That would obviously factor into the flight costs quite a bit. I saw that Jetstar had a half price sale the other day, not sure if it’s still going but there were some awesome deals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have been to Fiji and Thailand a few times prior to having kids (haven't been to Bali). Having been to both, I much prefer Thailand over Fiji, but understand the appeal for families, as Fiji often has 'all inclusive' deals where flights, meals and kids clubs are thrown in.

Thailand does have these kind of deals, but not as much as Fiji does I believe.

I think if you want a relaxing, lay on the beach kind of family holiday, then Fiji or Bali.

No idea about budgets, as I only went as a couple, but 'Holidays with kids' might be able to give you a rough idea.

Eta: keep in mind that once your kids are over 12, they're usually considered an adult in terms of costing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you’re on the west coast Bali is cheapest. Only 3 hours flying time. With the number of people travelling I would suggest a villa.
    Sanur is a fabulous area with great authentic food options and a nice beach. Seminyak/Legian get more expensive to eat and drink.
    I recently went with some girlfriends and a 4 bedroom/4 bathroom villa with own pool was about $400 per night ($100 per person per night as we split it). I consider this to be mid-range so you could get quite a nice villa for a bit less.
    Make sure you check on a map the location before booking because if the price looks too good to be true it probably is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having been to all 3. Fiji is the most relaxing and still quite a bit to do but with the dollar being at .66 compared to nearly .80 when I went last year it would put me off going back until it improves as it is quite expensive there.

You would need 2 rooms adjoining so that is also something to consider.

My folks just got back from Thailand again 3 months ago and where really impressed with how it was back in 2006 on their last trip there. They Want to go back next year and take us all with them and pay that’s even better.

Once kids get to the age of 12 I think it is they are classed as an adult on flights aswell so take that into consideration

Based on 4 adults fares 2 kids plus 2 rooms with flights and accommodation you’d spend just over $9k then add spending money if take a min of $3k for 6 people to do extra shopping tours food that isn’t included in the price (breakfast is always a buffet)

Passports if you don’t have them budget another $1k to each get one plus photos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fiji! If you take the time to head out to the Mamanuca Islands or the Yasawa Islands that is - that’s where you will get the postcard beauty of that tropical water!

I personally found Thailand (Phuket) to be dirty and well there wasn’t much to do after the markets. Yes it was very cheap but not very nice. We did go to Phi Phi and that was nice but if we went back we would look for a small island somewhere out there so we could have that nice beachy holiday. I’ve been to Fiji a number of times and it’s just gorgeous!