+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default kindy for 3yr 9mnth old to send or not.. help !

Im nervous about my daughter starting kindy (SA) as she is born just 2 weeks before the cut off for starting ... and whilst she knows her abc and is cluey i feel she is way too immature especially compared to kids who will be almost 5 .. e.g my daughter is very emotional, she still gets tired from a short day out, cant really wipe her bum on her own etc ! Im thinking she would be better suited to the next year where she will be among the older ones ... plus i think back to mine and my husbands schooling ... we were both 17 turning 18 in year 12 .. yet if my daughter starts at this early time she will be 16 turning 17 in year 12 amongst 18 year olds etc. Is this bad thinking to put her in with the next year ? I just dont want my daughter to struggle due to not being ready as i have seen this happen with my niece previously from starting at the young age. Please help kindy orientations are starting and i just feel shes not at that level yet ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you feel she is not ready too go with your gut feeling some kindy’s offer occasional care so she can still go several times a week for a couple of hours every child is different so do what you feel is her best interest good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd started this year in Sa at age 3yrs 10mths. She goes 15 hrs a week. From what I’ve seen all year, is that there are the oldest ones that can also be just as shy/not ready as the youngest and some of the youngest being the most ready. I was very worried too , as well as a handful of us. Some organised to only take them for 3 hr days initially- even longer than the slow start first couple of weeks (reduced hours) that my dd’s kindy had.
    You might be surprised at how quickly they adapt . By term 3, most have their favourite friends etc. and she may adapt really well to her bottom wiping when left alone .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and in SA, it’s not actually very popular to keep them back like it is interstate. In fact of the 44 kids at her kindy, none of them have been held back a year . There are several April borns

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a teacher - currently in a preschool and previously in the first year of school. I would personally wait a year, in both my personal and professional opinion. I have a March baby, and I’ll be waiting until he is 4 (amost 5) to start preschool. In 15 years of teaching school & preschool, I have never ever ever seen a child who was disadvantaged by waiting an extra year to start. On the othet hand, I have seen many many children who were disasvantaged by sending them early. Go with your gut and let her be little for a bit longer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Happymumlgm (24-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are concerned I would hold her back but you could also send her for a month and see how she transitions and if your not happy pull her out until next year.

Ds1 was a mid year intake back in 2011 and started school 12 months later and did 18 months of reception which did him the world of good

Ds2 will be 4.5 when he starts kindy and he’ll be over ready to go since there are no mid year intakes anymore
    @Kazza78 I’m km SA near seacliff and I saw our kindy last week. I asked if ds2 could start at 3 yrs 7 months and the answer was no one under the age 4 is allowed. How did you get your dd I’m at her age ?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    If you are concerned I would hold her back but you could also send her for a month and see how she transitions and if your not happy pull her out until next year.

Ds1 was a mid year intake back in 2011 and started school 12 months later and did 18 months of reception which did him the world of good

Ds2 will be 4.5 when he starts kindy and he’ll be over ready to go since there are no mid year intakes anymore
    @Kazza78 I’m km SA near seacliff and I saw our kindy last week. I asked if ds2 could start at 3 yrs 7 months and the answer was no one under the age 4 is allowed. How did you get your dd I’m at her age ?
    If they are turning 4 before 30 April, they start in first term. Only one intake a year now in sa for last 4 years or so

He must be born after 30 April to only be 3yrs 7 mths in January

So the youngest they can be is 3yrs9mths
    Last edited by Kazza78; 24-10-2018 at 13:42.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1 (24-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews

There is no right or wrong way to approach this, only what you think your daughter can cope with.

In SA, a child must be in primary school (ie reception) by their sixth birthday. So you are entitled to hold her back until she is a bit more mentally mature and physically ready to attend Kindy. Some kids are just not ready to attend Kindy by 4, and there is no point in doing so based on age alone.
    Last edited by Happymumlgm; 24-10-2018 at 14:33.