ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Formula supply woes - are bubhubbers having problems?

I've just a video on the news of the massive queues at a city Woolies for baby formula.

Are any bubhubbers having problem getting formula or are stocks ok where you are?

Do you think formula should be prescription only?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd is bf but we use the also for top ups. In certain suburbs in Adelaide there are problems but not where I am. I think it can also down democratic of the nationality buying the formula. I know one particular suburb which is a min drive north from me has issues.

This video someone at the surely must be tipping them off as that the tins are in boxes still it they would of come directly off a full pallet that had come in the daily delivery

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seems to be plenty of formula around me. The supermarkets around me have recently changed the limit from 2 to 4 tins in fact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    @babybeeno1 - yes, they must know the delivery and restock time as they said an employee said it happens every week at the same time. Apparently Woolies had a policy of 2 tins per purchase then upped it to 8 tins and have now decided to put it back down to 2 tins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw they changed it back. The boxes are packs of 6. We use to sell it at work but got rid of it prob 5/6 years ago I think because it would come in and be gone within a few hours so head office cut it from our range

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We never had supply issues with formula, I think because when I was putting DS on formula, the shelves were fairly empty except for a few brands so I didn’t have many to choose from, and it just so happened that the one he took to was one that wasn’t in high demand from overseas lol.

I think the answer is some kind of national database; if you want formula, you have to show your drivers license or some other form of unique ID, it’s entered into the database and if you’ve exceeded your limit that week / month, you need to see a GP for a prescription for more.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (23-10-2018),Mum-I-Am  (23-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Formula supply woes - are bubhubbers having problems?

I have seen this to a lesser extend at at Woolworths near me. Our local coles has also featured on the news for the same issue.

We live near a uni and there is a high population of Asian students so they all seem to be buying it.

Very occasionally coles is out of the formula we use so I always buy a new one well before it’s needed. It’s such a pain now having to take the tins to the service desk after buying them to have the anti theft lid removed.

ETA: I think making formula prescription only would ad to the perceived shame of not breast feeding. It may also make it unattainable for some people if they can’t get bulk billed gp appointments. I think JR03 has a good idea, if you are buying more than x tins a month you would need to prove the need. The issue with this in my eyes would be the inconvenience for those of us doing the right thing.
    Last edited by Mum-I-Am; 23-10-2018 at 11:41.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

LoveMyWay  (23-10-2018),Mod-Wise Enough  (24-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it's an issue here, but we have a very low Chinese population.

Making it prescription only may even have some benefits other than the supply and demand issue.
    If they make it that MCHNs can also write the scripts, this will curb the issue of cost and availability with GP appointments. This would also mean babies are getting more check ups, and may even increase breastfeeding rates as experienced MCHNs could offer support and advice to mothers wanting a formula script because of lack of breastfeeding knowledge.
    They would have to be strict on ensuring no one is denied a script for formula though, or I could imagine some extremely pro-breastfeeding healthcare providers pushing breastfeeding too much.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

JR03  (23-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes! My 3 year old daughter has a disease which means she relies on an allergy formula for her nutrition. I wish we could get it on prescription like other allergy formulas! It’s sooooo hard and stressful when we can’t find the formula anywhere. I usually order online a few weeks ahead & try to keep some stocked at home, but it often goes on backorder because it’s not available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's been 3yrs since Ive needed to purchase formula. I didn't have issues, but saw some pretty disgusting behavior. It frustrates me, because as much as I tried to breastfeed, I saw an ibclc... I suffered low supply as a result of other medical issues and HAD to use formula. I'm also still breastfeeding him at 3.5yo and 10wks pregnant so it's not like I didn't try, I just literally do not make enough.

Our woolies now keeps the shelves almost bare, and you've gotta ask.

Now... We in a small town with a large port that imports/exports overseas. As such we get alot of "boat people" (workers from the international ships) In town.

This one day, I saw a group of four Men, each holding the limit of formula.... one pointed to a checkout, and another scalded him in their language and ushered them to a different cashier.
    I didn't think much of it.... until 35 mins later I see FIVE men, pushing a trolley filled with formula tins up the street!!!!

What they were doing was buying the limit, giving it to their friend who had a trolley outside the store, then returning and using a different cashier so that they were "unaware" that they had already purchased Some.

I raised the concern with a friend of dfs who works there, he said they know it happens but can't do anything
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 23-10-2018 at 16:57.