+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hoping to study nursing

Nursing has always grabbed my attention and would be a interesting job and I have always wanted to do, (I have worked previously as a phlebotomist and have known quite a few that have gone on to nursing) but have always worked up until now, I’m a SAHM of 3 children (6,2,6mths) and have no work to go back to. I’m deciding whether to complete nursing through GoTafe in Benalla, has anyone studied nursing there? Have they completed the CSPA test? How did you cope with the workload and children (if you have children) and the work placement.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Emma. I'm studying nursing now. I'm at Uni almost about to finish my RN degree. I have 3 children too but not as young as yours (11, 8 and 4). I've learnt so much and love what I've done so far in placements but the study is hard work. So hard. Do u have support? Partner or family etc. I couldn't have done it without my DH. I've done it full time and that's pretty much all I've done for 3 years. Everything else has been pushed to the side. With a really young family it might be a good idea to look into part time study if u can? Happy to answer any questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm currently 1st year nursing degree through cquni. I have 5 kids who are 11, 8, 6, 4, 2 and I'm pregnant with my 6th. I do most of my study at night when kids are in bed and during the day when they are sleeping or occupied playing or watching TV. The placement side for us (it may vary depending on the Uni) is broken up into multiple 3-4 week blocks over the duration of the course. I am doing part time, 2 units per study period. I couldn't cope with any more than that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

L.j (18-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I'm currently 1st year nursing degree through cquni. I have 5 kids who are 11, 8, 6, 4, 2 and I'm pregnant with my 6th. I do most of my study at night when kids are in bed and during the day when they are sleeping or occupied playing or watching TV. The placement side for us (it may vary depending on the Uni) is broken up into multiple 3-4 week blocks over the duration of the course. I am doing part time, 2 units per study period. I couldn't cope with any more than that.
    Wow you have your hands full but I bet you love every minute of it. How are you finding the content? Do you do your course online?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by L.j View Post
    Hi Emma. I'm studying nursing now. I'm at Uni almost about to finish my RN degree. I have 3 children too but not as young as yours (11, 8 and 4). I've learnt so much and love what I've done so far in placements but the study is hard work. So hard. Do u have support? Partner or family etc. I couldn't have done it without my DH. I've done it full time and that's pretty much all I've done for 3 years. Everything else has been pushed to the side. With a really young family it might be a good idea to look into part time study if u can? Happy to answer any questions
    Sorry the notification only just came through for your response,
    This course diploma in nursing is 2 years full time, 3 days a week 9am -3pm. No option for part time (not for the campus I would like to study) that would only add 6 mths to the course. 6 yr old is in school, 2 and 6 mth old are in daycare on fri, they will run this course mon, tues and thurs which gives me fri to study, I could potentially put them in daycare the days I’m at Tafe. I have a couple of friends her and a partner here but no family close by. DP could potentially be working day and nights so that throws a spammer in the work cause I wouldn’t want them in daycare 5 days plus it’s expensive.
    I have to resit the CSPA test- well numeracy part because I missed out by 1 point to get 3,3,3. So disappointed with myself. I am horrible at writing essays and I guess that’s my fear of failing but putting so much effort into studying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma1217 View Post
    Wow you have your hands full but I bet you love every minute of it. How are you finding the content? Do you do your course online?
    Definitely loving it. I didn't originally want to do nursing, I wanted to do Midwifery but after talking to a few nurses and midwives, they all agreed it's better to have both rather than just midwifery. I'm so glad I did, because I'm actually loving nursing and finding it really interesting. Yep, all done online. A few subjects have a 3 day residential school on campus but as I have a campus local to me it's easy done. The lecturers and even Uni in general are so supportive and genuinely want to see us succeed and do our best. Nothing is ever too much hassle for them. I am going through a bit of a **** time this term and my grades have dropped a lot, the lecturers were so understanding and gave me the option to withdraw without academic or financial penalty and redo the units next term (term 3 which is an optional study period), which means my course won't be delayed time wise as I can still do my normal units term 1 next year (taking term 2 off to have baby). They linked me in with some awesome Uni services to help me out including counselling. The counsellor has asked if she could put my name forward to receive a generous Uni bookshop voucher to cover the costs of my uniforms and and textbooks etc for term 1 next year, so that it's one less thing I need to worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you have done your homework already And good luck with your test.

It can definitely be done. I guess it depends how you manage study too and what kind of marks you expect. I'm a high achiever and sometime I wish I wasn't as it adds to the stress of study. I find myself doing a lot more study at home than I thought I would as for me there's a lot of assignments. I've only had 2 essays (thankfully - I hate them too) but loads of academic writing assignments. Good luck. If you really want to do it go for it. I've loved it and the only regret I have is the added stress it's placed DH and I in but we both know it will be worth it in the end. I actually find out on Monday if I have secured a New Graduate RN position for next year (it's super competitive where I live so fingers crossed)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Definitely loving it. I didn't originally want to do nursing, I wanted to do Midwifery but after talking to a few nurses and midwives, they all agreed it's better to have both rather than just midwifery. I'm so glad I did, because I'm actually loving nursing and finding it really interesting. Yep, all done online. A few subjects have a 3 day residential school on campus but as I have a campus local to me it's easy done. The lecturers and even Uni in general are so supportive and genuinely want to see us succeed and do our best. Nothing is ever too much hassle for them. I am going through a bit of a **** time this term and my grades have dropped a lot, the lecturers were so understanding and gave me the option to withdraw without academic or financial penalty and redo the units next term (term 3 which is an optional study period), which means my course won't be delayed time wise as I can still do my normal units term 1 next year (taking term 2 off to have baby). They linked me in with some awesome Uni services to help me out including counselling. The counsellor has asked if she could put my name forward to receive a generous Uni bookshop voucher to cover the costs of my uniforms and and textbooks etc for term 1 next year, so that it's one less thing I need to worry about.
    That’s absolutely amazing. It’s great you’re still going to continue. It must be somewhat stressful at times. I don’t have the commitment of studying online, house is being renovated so I would be oh that can be done or I’ll do this.... where if I go to Tafe it’ll sink in better and have classmates around me instead of somewhat alone.
    Will you go onto midwifery ? That’s what I want to do, but I live in the middle of nowhere and I can’t find anyone except for in melb that do that course but I thought I’d start and the beginning and build up from there.
    The books are expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by L.j View Post
    Sounds like you have done your homework already And good luck with your test.

It can definitely be done. I guess it depends how you manage study too and what kind of marks you expect. I'm a high achiever and sometime I wish I wasn't as it adds to the stress of study. I find myself doing a lot more study at home than I thought I would as for me there's a lot of assignments. I've only had 2 essays (thankfully - I hate them too) but loads of academic writing assignments. Good luck. If you really want to do it go for it. I've loved it and the only regret I have is the added stress it's placed DH and I in but we both know it will be worth it in the end. I actually find out on Monday if I have secured a New Graduate RN position for next year (it's super competitive where I live so fingers crossed)
    What is the difference between academic writing and essays? I try to be a high achiever, as I’ve previously studied a bachelor and received HD, D. But if I don’t put as much effort in then I’ll get C, so it all reflects on my marks. Good luck for Monday, I hope you get the position that you want and stand out above all others. enjoy next year Thank you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Emma1217 For This Useful Post:

L.j (19-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma1217 View Post
    That’s absolutely amazing. It’s great you’re still going to continue. It must be somewhat stressful at times. I don’t have the commitment of studying online, house is being renovated so I would be oh that can be done or I’ll do this.... where if I go to Tafe it’ll sink in better and have classmates around me instead of somewhat alone.
    Will you go onto midwifery ? That’s what I want to do, but I live in the middle of nowhere and I can’t find anyone except for in melb that do that course but I thought I’d start and the beginning and build up from there.
    The books are expensive.
    It definitely takes dedication. In saying that, when I did STEPS (bridging program) I was on campus and actually found it harder than doing it online at home. I was always stressed trying to get kids to school, run the household (hubby worked away when I first started) and do everything plus go to lectures on campus. I found online took a lot of the pressure off and the online lectures and tutorials seemed to be easier to absorb. Personal preference I guess.

Yes I will be going on to do midwifery, cqu offers it as a post-grad course for RNs as an online based course. I've already had a job offer at the local birth centre, which is my dream job so it's definitely helping my motivation!

I don't know about other unis, but we have heaps of facebook and Uni website based groups that you can score textbooks and resources secondhand for cheap, there are also scholarships that help with the costs of books etc. And websites like booktopia offer afterpay and some also have zippay so you can pay them off. And you don't need to buy every book at once either. It's recommended to us we wait until 2 weeks before the term starts to by the books we need for that term as the editions often change. The Uni library should also have copies you can source either in hard copy or as electronic resources too.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 19-10-2018 at 07:42.