ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cost of giving birth

Hi there,

Did anyone have any surprise costs when it came to giving birth?

Did you see this article?

http://www.abc.net.au/life/the-cost-...e-for/10350778

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hopingforababy2019 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (11-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No surprises for me, as I chose to have my babies in public hospitals, and the last three were with a midwifery caseload program (one midwife the whole way from pregnancy, birth to post natal care). I had 3 different hospitals (due to interstate moves) and found some scans were bulk billed and others like the nuchal had a cost, but really, small outlays in the grand scheme of things. Very grateful to have not owed any money after birthing my babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No surprises here either. Dating scans bulk billed (although no longer are here), and 20 week scan through public hospital. All prenatal, birth and postnatal care through public hospital or midwife through birth centres including in home visits. The only thing I would have paid for if we did it was 12 week scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No surprises here either! The scans were claimable from Medicare so were minimal. I had my 3 boys in a private hospital and apart from the excess which was only $200 each pregnancy I had no out of pocket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Cost of giving birth

I can’t really see how people giving birth in a public hospital will have any sort of bill shock.

All my babies were born in the same public hospital. Some pregnancies I did shared care with my GP and some I did the midwife program. The expense that I had with 2 of my pregnancies was the nuchal scan and 20 week scan. It wasn’t a huge amount from memory. My last pregnancy I remember having my 20 week scan at the public hospital for free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’m in a regional area and we do have a great hospital here so my experience of shared care with my gp was different than the lady in the article. The GP that you can see here actually do shifts at the hospital too and are trained in obstetrics, so unless I had complications I didn’t need to be referred to an actual obstetrician so was only out of pocket about $40 a visit but that was monthly, fortnightly and then weekly so prob 12 all up. Because I was over a certain bmi they wouldn’t accept me into the midwife care program but this also books out quickly too. I had ultrasounds done at the public hospital and out of pocket was around $100 each time x4. There was no cost around the actual birth as a public patient. We also get charged for the bloods associated with the NT test, I think that was around another $100.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a few costs associated with my last birth but that’s because of a few little specific things. I birthed publicly but had seen a private OB beforehand. She was on the cheaper side (sometimes even just bulk billed us) and pay as you go so we weren’t out much for her. I had scans every month, which then went to every fortnight and then every week but it’s because it was twins and there were growth worries. After about the 6th scan, they started bulk billing us which was nice.
    Our biggest costs were petrol, due to the distance and accommodation in town as I had to be near the hospital from 34 weeks. So that was quite a few grand but not a “normal” expense. Some of it was subsidised so weren’t out the entire amount.
    Apart from that, everything was covered. My epidural, induction, c section and my tubal. No cost. I was flown from one hospital to another and no cost there either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We ended up with quite a few bills after our hospital admission (private). I had a long stay of two weeks and we ended up with quite a few bills from paediatricians, I think some X-ray and pathology and so on. (Despite full top private health insurance). I think maybe around $2k worth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Public here for both babies. $0 cost. One natural, one cs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    #1 - public system, private ob. No phi. $400ish initial consult, $100 each visit.
    12wk nt scan/bloods- $100ish
    20wk scan - $200ish.
    Public hospital, transferred via ambulance/flying Dr to another public hospital, eventually a csect in that one. $0.

Bub 2 - public. Public women's clinic at hospital with ob.
    12wk my scan/bloods $130ish Elective csect $0

Bub #3 - public.
    So far $0, but I'm only 8 weeks. I've had bloods and 1 scan so far.