+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you eat?

Ds2 is 10wks, exclusively bf and I am so hungry ALL THE TIME. I find myself eating just about anything and everything and feel like the weight I lost is starting to creep back on.
    I generally start the day with a bowl of Porridge and a coffee, lunch this week has been 2 poached eggs on toast with salad and dinner is varied but reasonably healthy. Snacks are where I've been falling apart and reaching for sugar.
    So please help a sleep deprived, time poor mumma out with your fave nutritious, easy to prepare/prepare in bulk snacks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry you are so tired and hungry. Sounds like you are eating healthy meals. Not easy when you are so busy--well done. In between meals, I find a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack that is really healthy and nutritious can usually stop me reaching for the sugar. I like something quick and easy like 3 or 4 thin rice cakes spread with some sort of protein, bc protein helps me feel full for longer. So, depending what you like, a couple of slices of ham or turkey, or some cheese/cottage cheese /ricotta and a slice of tomato, or even some almond butter or pure peanut butter, or even a couple of slices of avocado. They're all pretty quick and easy to grab, but are quite sustaining. Or even a handful of either almonds or pepitas, as they are super nutritious) and stave off the sugar craving for me). Hope that helps. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I made protein balls - a great, healthy, filling snack. I had a box next to where I breastfed and always had a container of nuts in there so even during the night I could take the edge off with a light snack.

I also had raisin toast in the freezer, I found it a quick, satisfying snack.

Have a heap of fruit cut up now that the seasons are changing.

I also drank a lot of smoothies and had the fruit cut up and in ziplock bags so i could empty the bag, add yoghurt and milk and a smoothie was made really quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd is not quite 8 weeks.

I have containers of fruit in the fridge ready to go when I’m hungry

I bake once/twice a week and eat whatever it if an snacks, fruit muffins, zucchini slice, veggie sausage rolls,

Latina pasta I’ve seperated and put in ziplock bags to freeze with a separate one for sauce in the bag

Eat the left overs from the night before

Trail mix

I’ve also got a few frozen meals on hand for desperation

Smoothies

I have a sweet tooth also so it’s hard sometimes to stay away but when I’m shopping I’ll skip that aisle altogether which helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Date/coconut balls are great, you can buy them at Woolies now.
    Yoghurt, cheese, fruit, rice crackers with butter, nuts/seeds/dried fruit, peanut butter, carrot/vegie sticks with hummus or quality dip. Almond meal cookies/biscuits if are able to cook a batch or have someone do it for you are a great high protein snack. Protein will fill you up and help your milk supply, sugars and excess carbs will put that weight back on.
    Looking at your meals I would suggest you need more for breakfast and lunch. Maybe more of an eggs on toast for breakfast and then a salad bowl with cold meat/cheese for lunch? Up the protein a bit. Porridge probably won't cut it until lunch time I reckon - it wouldn't for me, anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of great ideas already for snacks. However it doesn’t seem to me that you are eating enough for your meals. Breastfeeding is hard work on your body and you need a lot more calories than usual.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (01-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    These muffins are very healthy and filling especially if you use wholemeal flour:
    http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/1954...y-muffins.aspx They also freeze well.

Also, I don't think that poached eggs for lunch are all that filling and could be a reason you are wanting to snack. Something legume based may keep you fuller for longer eg baked beans or a soup with barley / split peas / lentils in it.

I love this:
    http://instantpoteats.com/turkish-sp...nt-pot-recipe/
    It freezes well. I also have homemade baked beans in the freezer. Either the soup or baked beans could be a filling snack or meal in themselves.

I like making porridge with semolina for afternoon tea if I'm really hungry. It is very filling and stops cravings for sweet stuff. I'm not sure how healthy it is and it does taste like glue (well what imagine glue would taste like).

(disclaimer I'm not breastfeeding anymore)