+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What happens if we can't get a rental

Hoping someone in the real estate industry can help me. We have been given a notice to leave (without grounds), we have until mid November to be out. So far we have been unsuccessful in getting a new place-rents have gone up a bit since we last moved almost 4 years ago, and competition is fierce for places in our price range. What happens if we can't get a place by the time we have to be out? Will we be homeless (no family or friends we could stay with)? Are we allowed to stay in the house until we do secure somewhere? It's causing me so much stress!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What happens if we can't get a rental

That sounds super stressful... we were in a similar situation a few years ago (when I was 37 weeks pregnant!) but did manage to (finally) get a place. I was on real estate dot com twice a day looking for new places and as soon as one would come up I would apply that same day site unseen. I think what finally helped was getting a reference letter from another real estate agent.

Good luck! My fingers are crossed you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    That sounds super stressful... we were in a similar situation a few years ago (when I was 37 weeks pregnant!) but did manage to (finally) get a place. I was on real estate dot com twice a day looking for new places and as soon as one would come up I would apply that same day site unseen. I think what finally helped was getting a reference letter from another real estate agent.

Good luck! My fingers are crossed you.
    Yep I'm constantly on there checking, have applied for so many places but a lot won't accept the application until you have viewed it which sucks. I've also posted on multiple facebook pages and groups and also gum tree. Our current real estate is a joke and are happy to mention the fact we've fallen behind in rent (always caught up again and haven't been behind in ages) but fail to mention the breaches we've placed against them for failing to do things and the fact a lot of our rent arrears were only 2 days late due to dh's pay going in late which we informed them of and they said those remedy to breaches were automatic and would be removed (we have that all in writing too). Obviously they havent. We have had nothing but issues with them in the last 12 months and I suspect they are not making it easy for us to find somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    that sucks and sounds super stressful. i don’t know what state you’re in (qld??) but is there a rental tribunal or the equivalent of vcat there?? thinking you could somehow apply to be allowed to stay on compassionate grounds?? surely they can’t just throw a family of 7 out with nowhere to go??

what about looking a bit further afield? not ideal but a roof over your head is better than none. hoping you find something soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know why the lease has not been extended? Eg are the owners wanting to move in themselves or sell the property?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know why the lease has not been extended? Eg are the owners wanting to move in themselves or sell the property?
    No, it stated without grounds. Which according to the rta, is nothing to do with us as tenants, it could be the owners want to move in or renovate or anything. If it was something relating to us (rent arrears, damage to property etc) they would have issued with grounds. I suspect they want to hike the rent up a lot-we currently pay $320 which we have for the majority of the time we have been here (was 350 when we moved in) and most houses like ours in this area are now over 400. Obviously they can't hike it up that much if we are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    that sucks and sounds super stressful. i don’t know what state you’re in (qld??) but is there a rental tribunal or the equivalent of vcat there?? thinking you could somehow apply to be allowed to stay on compassionate grounds?? surely they can’t just throw a family of 7 out with nowhere to go??

what about looking a bit further afield? not ideal but a roof over your head is better than none. hoping you find something soon xx
    Yep qld. We have extended our search area to surrounding areas, trouble is the girls go to school out here so we could be looking at up-to an hours drive each way for that which isn't really viable financially and changing schools is out if the question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    No, it stated without grounds. Which according to the rta, is nothing to do with us as tenants, it could be the owners want to move in or renovate or anything. If it was something relating to us (rent arrears, damage to property etc) they would have issued with grounds. I suspect they want to hike the rent up a lot-we currently pay $320 which we have for the majority of the time we have been here (was 350 when we moved in) and most houses like ours in this area are now over 400. Obviously they can't hike it up that much if we are here. Yep qld. We have extended our search area to surrounding areas, trouble is the girls go to school out here so we could be looking at up-to an hours drive each way for that which isn't really viable financially and changing schools is out if the question.
    In Queensland there is no defined maximum rent rise, the rent can be raised to ‘market value’ so long as it’s not during a fixed term lease (which you’re obviously not on) and the tenant is provided with 4 weeks notice. Would you be willing to pay more rent for you current place? Could this be something that you could discuss with the agent?

Thanks
    Reviews
    In Queensland there is no defined maximum rent rise, the rent can be raised to ‘market value’ so long as it’s not during a fixed term lease (which you’re obviously not on) and the tenant is provided with 4 weeks notice. Would you be willing to pay more rent for you current place? Could this be something that you could discuss with the agent?
    We would depending on how much. But it would be too late now that the notice to leave has been issues wouldn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Would you be willing to call your current real estate to discuss your concerns about them mentioning the past arrears? Ask them what sort of reference they'll be giving to other agents?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    We would depending on how much. But it would be too late now that the notice to leave has been issues wouldn't it?
    You could discuss it with the agent. From a landlords perspective, it’s a PITA to get new tenants as they have to pay for letting fees, advertising, and there is loss of rent for the time the house is vacant. They may wish for $400 per week rent but willing to accept eg $380 if it means not having to get new tenants.