+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default St George public hospital

So I am pregnant with #4 quite unexpectedly... so unexpectedly I cancelled my obstetric private health insurance and will need to go public this time.

I'm not trying to be a snob but really am nervous about what to expect as my other 3 were private. I'm zoned for sutherland hospital but had pre eclampsia for my previous 3 so know I will be birthing at st George.

Has anyone birthed there and have any advice? Especially if you had a c-section as I had 2 emergency and 1 elective so will absolutely be having another one. I'm terrified I'm going to end up with an inexperienced intern or something else.

All the stuff I read online tells of dirty maternity wards and 6 to a room with no privacy and too much noise from visitors...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default St George public hospital

I loved st George. I went through the STOMP midwife clinic and it was great. I wanted minimal intervention but unfortunately Bub didn’t comply. I didn’t have a caesarean but had to have a epi and all the stuff before that. Their care was exceptional. The birthing suites were quite new and modern (but this was a few years back).
    The ward was fine for me albeit a bit noisy, certainly not dirty but they are rooms of 4. I guess if you had private health insurance you could see if you could get a private room (not sure if it’s possible though).

I had my 2nd at the private hospital and I liked the public hospital care better. The midwifes were great.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Meld85 (23-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had 2 vbacs at st George and have no complaints. Hospital is nice and clean, very good midwife care leading up to birth, 2 mums to a ward after.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

Meld85 (23-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    I loved st George. I went through the STOMP midwife clinic and it was great. I wanted minimal intervention but unfortunately Bub didn’t comply. I didn’t have a caesarean but had to have a epi and all the stuff before that. Their care was exceptional. The birthing suites were quite new and modern (but this was a few years back).
    The ward was fine for me albeit a bit noisy, certainly not dirty but they are rooms of 4. I guess if you had private health insurance you could see if you could get a private room (not sure if it’s possible though).

I had my 2nd at the private hospital and I liked the public hospital care better. The midwifes were great.

Good luck with your pregnancy.
    Thanks for the insight - I'm relieved the rooms aren't dirty as several woman said they were... although 4 to a room sounds like hell and I'm stressed because with a c-section I will be in for a few nights... also my husband will be far away so probably won't visit much... unfortunately I dropped my private health for pregnancy as we were 100% done...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I had 2 vbacs at st George and have no complaints. Hospital is nice and clean, very good midwife care leading up to birth, 2 mums to a ward after.
    Thanks so much... you mean 2 mums to a room right?? That sounds way more tolerable...
    Sadly as high risk I won't be able to go through the midwives...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I gave birth to my 3 at st George public. Cannot fault them at all. Last baby was my first c-section (emergency) and from memory I was in a room with only one other. Can’t remember how many were in my room with my other 2 but I left on the early discharge program after each of my babies so really after giving birth then being moved was only one night in the ward (2 on ward fur c-section but she was born at midday)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Meld85 (23-09-2018),PrayandHope (25-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ThAnks so much ladies for the stories... just a quick question... at your ob visits... do they do a quick ultrasound to check position and water level etc??