+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What to do after 4th degree Tear?

Last baby I ended up with a 4th degree tear and have been advised to do a c-section? Has anyone gone natural after a 4th degree tear? Why? Why Not? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a 3c - so next one down . They recommended a cs that I’m having in less than 2 weeks.
    I’ve researched it a lot over the last 4.5 years and lots of info says there’s a higher chance of it happening again . If it does tear the same , then there’s a risk of the muscles never returning back to the same, so incontinence of one or both permanently.
    I just couldn’t live with myself if I’d chosen natural .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I had a 3c - so next one down . They recommended a cs that I’m having in less than 2 weeks.
    I’ve researched it a lot over the last 4.5 years and lots of info says there’s a higher chance of it happening again . If it does tear the same , then there’s a risk of the muscles never returning back to the same, so incontinence of one or both permanently.
    I just couldn’t live with myself if I’d chosen natural .
    Yea thats what I have been reading as well. They say “we can induce early” but my feeling is I would rather go c-section over induction. The horrible stories I have heard about being induced are just scary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Soques For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (22-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I’ve heard it comes on so much quicker and stronger

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

rufus82 (11-10-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve never heard of a 4th degree tear, Ive heard of 3rd. I had a 2nd degree tear with my 1st, 2nd and 3rd pregnancies were induced and no tears no grazes. I personally would rather being induced than spontaneous labour.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Emma1217 For This Useful Post:

Soques (24-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews

I’m not pregnant with my second yet but after the tearing from my first delivery, I’m definitely having a csection next time..and my ob agrees.

I didn’t know there’s an outer and inner anal sphincter. The outer sphincter, when torn, is just like a regular muscle and can heal easily. The inner sphincter isn’t the same which can lead to irreversible damage or very difficulty repair (that’s what I was told by my ob). I have Crohns Disease and there’s no way I’m risking incontinence when I suffer enough from bowel related issues.

I know giving birth is natural but I don’t like the unpredictability of a delivery. I did perineum exercises well before delivery, was induced and had an episiotomy and I still tore badly

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (24-09-2018),Mum-I-Am (25-09-2018),Soques (24-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 3A tear with my first, so definitely nowhere near as serious as yours but still somewhat similar. I had no issues with recovery or continence, everything healed perfect apart from a little bit of scar tissue. My second was a precipitate labour (1.5 hours) and only 15 mins pushing, he was 4.36kg and I only had a first degree tear! Was so happy!! They warned me that I should get induced at 38 weeks but I was with community midwives who encouraged me to go natural and it all worked out well (he was born on his due date). No one can predict it though and if I'd had a 4th degree tear or any type of issues afterwards I may not have risked it. But so glad it all worked out how it did for me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

Bluemeeple (25-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 3B tear, so not as bad. It healed terribly, all the external stitches tore apart, the internal stitches were badly done and it got severely infected. Was told I could never birth vaginally again. I refused to believe that(I’d already had one baby surely I could do it again).
    I changed my model of care with my second and had a home birth at 42 weeks, DS2 was bigger (over 10 pounds) and I didn’t even have a graze.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sevven For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (25-09-2018),Soques (26-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sevven View Post
    I had a 3B tear, so not as bad. It healed terribly, all the external stitches tore apart, the internal stitches were badly done and it got severely infected. Was told I could never birth vaginally again. I refused to believe that(I’d already had one baby surely I could do it again).
    I changed my model of care with my second and had a home birth at 42 weeks, DS2 was bigger (over 10 pounds) and I didn’t even have a graze.
    Do they do 3b in theatre with spinal like 3c and 4th? I guess they did. What shame with the healing , but awesome with next birth !
    Last edited by Kazza78; 25-09-2018 at 09:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevven View Post
    Oh I wish I could do a home birth... I’m a hypnobirthing momma to begin with but not possible here in Townsville