+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    $250 a month

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't budget we just go. That said I arrange it all myself...so one month we'll pay for flights...then accommodation....then car hire if needed. We don't ever use a travel agent.

However, we usually have one big long snow holiday (12 days)....maybe a 4 day holiday to a beach in the summer.

This year DP and I are going to Europe for a conference and a small holiday (which I have arranged and booked myself and saved well over $2000 by doing it this way).

So it's hard for me to comment on what budget....the places we stay may be very different to where you stay.

Here's my tips for getting the best price....
    1. Decide where you want to go
    2. Work out cheaper times to go ....not school holidays usually
    3. Book early...sometimes you get discounts for early bird
    4. Look at transport...sign up for mates rates email with Virgin and the Jet Star ones.
    5. Ring the accommodation and see if they offer cheaper rates booking over the phone or internet.

Best advice is plan ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a holiday account and 10% of our earnings goes in to that account each month. Budgeting per holiday depends on what we want to do and where we want to go/stay etc. But we save each month so we can have a holiday. We don't go overseas or do anything too fancy, but we have fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    We just had a 5 week holiday in the Northern Territory. We drove and took our camper trailer. All up it was about $6000 for everything (camping fees, food, fuel, activities and souvenirs).

As others have said it depends where you want to go and what you want to do.

We do lots of mini trips and then a bigger one most years. It depends on how much money we have and what we feel like doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don’t really have a budget as such.
    Travel is a priority for us so we just make it work. I diy and seek the best deals.
    I average $150 a night for accomodation, will pay slightly more if we get breakfast included.
    We visit local supermarkets and snack a lot.
    Flights we aim for under $500 pp return (saving qantas points for Europe)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I decide how much I want to spend on a holiday, how much time between now and then and divide up the weeks and that’s how much money we try to put aside.

Anything I can pay for beforehand is. Majority of trip, usually all is presaved so that even though most things go on our credit card during holidays, once we are home, cash gets transferred to pay off the card.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are travelling full time and have been since August this year. We average about 1000/week for family of 5 which includes paying for our house- insurance & rates (which our neighbours and family care for), fuel, caravan & car maintenance, accomodation, food etc. it’s a bit different from a holiday. But like others said it depends the type of holiday you want to do. Obviously an overseas trip or hotel stay will be far more expensive than camping at free camps/national parks. And it depends what attractions you’d like to see also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to Thailand this year for 14days with a family of 4 and cost us $5000 for everything including shopping and lots of fun things like parks and shows. The year before we did fiji and it cost roughly the same but we didn't do half as much and it was only 8 days. Generally overseas i budget 5k but for aus holidays 3k would be plenty including flights for us. I always get deals from scoopon on lux escapes which helps a lot with cost