+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Family holiday budget

How much do you set aside in your budget for holidays including flights, Accomodation, petrol, food, attractions and anything else

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (21-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You had already started a thread like this a few weeks back. Maybe bump it up for yourself or look at the advice in it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (21-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks the thread I started a couple of week ago ago was asking how often do you holiday both in australia and overseas. This question is specifically relating to the budget side of things

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerBaker View Post
    Thanks the thread I started a couple of week ago ago was asking how often do you holiday both in australia and overseas. This question is specifically relating to the budget side of things
    You did ask about the budget?

Quote Originally Posted by RangerBaker View Post
    How often do you take a family holiday overseas vs how often do you holiday in Australia. What type of budget do you set aside for this

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (25-09-2018),Mum-I-Am  (25-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To summarise what @babybeeno1 said in your other thread, there are so many variables.

I could answer that it costs nothing in petrol, because I'm loading the kids in to my electric car and going to the caravan park 500m down the road. Or it could cost several thousand in petrol because we drive an army tank and we're travelling from Tasmania to The Cape.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    To summarise what @babybeeno1 said in your other thread, there are so many variables.

I could answer that it costs nothing in petrol, because I'm loading the kids in to my electric car and going to the caravan park 500m down the road. Or it could cost several thousand in petrol because we drive an army tank and we're travelling from Tasmania to The Cape.
    You have an army tank?

It is also dependant on what sort of holiday you like. Camping or a luxury villa in France with a butler? Do you fly economy for first? How far you are going? How long? How many people?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I answered your previous thread which did ask a bit about budget and I posted it in there as well.

Honestly, I don’t budget for travel. I guess we are fortunate that if we want to go on a holiday, we do. Plus my husband is from overseas so we travel to see his family. My only tip would be to pay for as much as possible before you go away.

We are going away in December/January and I’ve already paid for accommodation which was so cheap for new year period ($700 in a 3 bedroom apartment in Hervey Bay) I also already paid for a day trip to Fraser Island and another day trip to Lady Elliot Island which was about $2.5k for both for our family if 5. I’ve booked accommodation for the drive up already. I can’t remember how much it was. We don’t have to factor in fuel as my car is a lease car. I prefer to stay in self service places where you can cook your own stuff as I find it is cheaper but we still would probably eat out once a day when on holidays.

Budgeting for a holiday depends on what you’re after. We’ve stayed in the Hilton on family holidays and we’ve camped in a tent. It depends on what your holiday is. Where do you plan on going?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (25-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Between $20 and $30 k per year. This would be for one big holiday and 2-3 little weekends away / camping trips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nil. Single Parent, lowish income. I just can't afford it.

ETA - I would suggest you either:

a) work out what you can afford based on your income and set money aside out of every pay and choose a holiday based on how much you can save in a year OR
    b) work out where you want to go, estimate how much it will cost and then save up for it

It all comes down to your income and where you want to go.
    It's very difficult for randoms on the internet to give you advice on this because we all have different incomes and expenses.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 25-09-2018 at 17:42.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-09-2018),Mum-I-Am  (25-09-2018)