+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How much pocket money?

How much pocket money do your kids get? What do they have to do for it?

My girls are 7 and 4. Thinking about $10 a week each. I want them to learn how to manage money. I would make them do $4 to spend, $4 to save, and $2 to charity. They would have to buy their own toys, I would still buy clothes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Ds1 gets $8 he is 11
    Ds2 gets $2 he is 2

I don’t have set chores but feeding the dog is their job. Ds1 will get washing out the machine, set table empty dishwasher. He helps a lot with his little brother and sister when dh isn’t home so to me he is earning his keep with that

Ds2 is a gem being only 2 he does what ever I ask him to. Pick your toys up is the main one. He helps me clean the bathroom puts his nappy in the bin

I also direct debit their only each week. If ds1 wants somethings it’s taken out of his account
    Last edited by babybeeno1; 18-09-2018 at 20:14.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough  (18-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Wise Enough View Post
    How much pocket money do your kids get? What do they have to do for it?

My girls are 7 and 4. Thinking about $10 a week each. I want them to learn how to manage money. I would make them do $4 to spend, $4 to save, and $2 to charity. They would have to buy their own toys, I would still buy clothes.
    My 7yo gets $2/ week for bringing the bins in. (It was his idea for this chore)

He gets $1 for emptying the clean dishwasher.

It's up to him how much he gets each week....

Things like helping set the table, picking up toys, tidying his room, walking the dog etc are just things that get done because he's part of the family and we all contribute.
    Well, that's my reasoning. Sometimes he doesn't do them because I do, but once again, it's because we are all family. He sometime's helps with other things, it all works out.

This is all for him. I already put money into his bank each week, we buy all of his clothes, but I do encourage him to save for bigger things.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

My kids get however old they are. So 10 year old gets $10 but has more responsibilities etc. They don’t have to do anything for their pocket money but if I have to do one of their chores (obviously older child has more chores) then I take 50c from their pocket money.

ETA - my kids’ chores are:

All make their bed, take washing to room (8 and 10 year old out their clothes away) take rubbish bags out to the bin, take recycling to bin, put plastic/glass bottles in crate for return and earn, set and clear dining table, put their dishes in dishwasher, wipe dining table.

My eldest also unpacks the dishwasher.

My son takes bins out on bin night and sometimes vacuums and makes lawns.

My youngest sometimes feeds the dog.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-09-2018 at 20:10.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Ds1 gets $8 he is 11
    Ds2 gets $2 he is 2

I don’t have set chores but feeding the doctor is their job. Ds1 will get washing out the machine, set table empty dishwasher. He helps a lot with his little brother and sister when dh isn’t home so to me he is earning his keep with that

Ds2 is a gem being only 2 he does what ever I ask him to. Pick your toys up is the main one. He helps me clean the bathroom puts his nappy in the bin

I also direct debit their only each week. If ds1 wants somethings it’s taken out of his account
    It's nice they feed the doctor 😂😂

There is no monetary value for doing chores in our house. You do chores purely because you are part of the family. We had a family member give our kids $5 whenever they saw them, so that was their 'pocket money.' They could do whatever they wanted with that money. When they were old enough to properly understand monetary value we implemented a completely different system, but It's potentially identifying so I don't want to share here.
    Last edited by Full House; 18-09-2018 at 20:17.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough  (19-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Full `House just fixed it for you. Typing 1 handed with a baby that doesn’t sleep in the other

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My kids get however old they are. So 10 year old gets $10 but has more responsibilities etc. They don’t have to do anything for their pocket money but if I have to do one of their chores (obviously older child has more chores) then I take 50c from their pocket money.

ETA - my kids’ chores are:

All make their bed, take washing to room (8 and 10 year old out their clothes away) take rubbish bags out to the bin, take recycling to bin, put plastic/glass bottles in crate for return and earn, set and clear dining table, put their dishes in dishwasher, wipe dining table.

My eldest also unpacks the dishwasher.

My son takes bins out on bin night and sometimes vacuums and makes lawns.

My youngest sometimes feeds the dog.
    this is pretty much what we do to. at 12 she gets a maximum of $12 per week - but if I have to do her chores, rather than yelling and nagging until she does them, I just take money off.

She is required to use her own money for things like buying food at the canteen or small trashy crap that I refuse to buy If she chooses to put her money in her bank account, I match it $ for $.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I didn't realise I was being so cheap! 9yo DS gets $2, 6yo DD $1 per week

DS has more jobs - he lets the chickens out in the morning and locks them up at night, does the rubbish, helps when we take the rubbish to the tip and feeds the dog most of the time.

DD feeds the dog sometimes and does rubbish.

Both empty the dishwasher on alternating nights, but that's only been the last few months as used to be DS's job too. Both are responsible for keeping their rooms clean......or more like tidying it up when I get sick of the mess. They both do other things to help out as well - put clothes in the washing machine, tidy up if we have people coming over etc.

Maybe I need to up their prices. Having said that, we pay for everything for them - their pocket money is saved up and they can either bank it or buy something special.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My eldest is 6 next week. Both her and the 3 year old get $1 a week.

I’m harsh too. If she doesn’t put her washing away by dinner time, she loses her pocket money for that week. It’s also occasionally used as a threat when she’s really out of line. The one thing she actually cares about losing.

DD (6h is expected to:
    -pack away school things after school
    -keep her things/room tidy
    -help with cooking at times
    -do little jobs we ask her to
    -put away her own washing

DS doesn’t do anything for his pocket money right now. He doesn’t spend it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS7 gets $7 and DD5 gets $5 and it goes up each year.
    They set the table, put their clothes away and little random jobs as need be.