ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Distance education learning at home but when you live in a city.

Hi

So really thinking of swapping my son out from public school to distance education.

There has been multiple issues and causing my sons anxiety to be quite severe.

We have another meeting at my sons public school next week and all they want is for him to go back but no real strategies to get him there.

So have been looking at distance education as i don't feel i could completely home school him at least this way i would hopefully get some help.

So how did you start and what did you say to your base school if you live in a city or the suburbs?

My son is in a support class at the moment but has been very unhelpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think distance ed. is a great compromise between school and home ed, if your child is not coping well in a school environment. From my understanding you register as an educator and have all the required materials provided to you, along with a timetable to complete the work, and you have teachers to coordinate with. The only downside being you still have to complete the standard curriculum and don't have the freedom associated with home ed. to tailor a program to your child's needs (but of course you could progress onto that in time if desired).

As far as telling the school, I think you need to be registered with distance ed first and then you can forward your registration and just stop going. Some schools take it better than others as of course a loss of a student is a loss of funding so just keep in mind you are completely within your rights with this decision. I wouldn't worry personally about their reaction, just keep it businesslike.

Once you move onto distance ed there are lots of great, active facebook groups to keep up the social side of things. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Mumtosupermario  (14-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I assume being in a support class that there is a diagnosis of some kind? We looked into School of the Air for our kids as we are having huge huge issues with our school. Our son with autism was able to go across on medical/disability grounds, but he would be restricted from going to the “classroom days” and excursions as they see it as if he can go to them, then he can go to school. The social isolation would have been horrible for him so we didn’t do it.

Our other children weren’t permitted to enrol as they have no disability and we lived too close to the government school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my son has autism adhd and a rare medical condition including being blind in one eye and intellectual disability (delayed by 3 years).

I done some research all day and even for the start up costs (computer printer scanner ipad desk that we have no where to put said items as we live in a tiny unit.

So with no space and we couldn't afford everything we need decided its not the best route to take so will see what other avenues we can go into.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you able to homeschool him without formally doing distance education?

I'm going to homeschool my boys and I live in a big city. I don't have to register until the age of 6 though. From what I've heard it's fairly simple and you don't need a computer, printer etc. You just need a curriculum/workbooks to follow which many homeschoolers can probably help you out with.

What state are you in? Some states are far more lenient than others.

If your son is already in school, all you need to do is inform the school admin that he will be commencing home education. Once you have the certificate you can formally withdraw him from school. That way you won't be called out for truancy. That's what I know from a friend who also homeschools her son.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (15-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You would indeed have a lot more freedom if you chose to register for home schooling instead. My kids don't have an Ipad (by choice) formal desk (it's the dining table) etc etc. And we've been approved for our home learning program for a couple of years now by the department of education. It's much more flexible than distance learning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Going to see how the meeting goes on Friday and since our psychologist and social worker will be there so hoping to get some ideas and may keep unschooling in the back of my mind if they keep saying the same bull they have all year.

We don't have a room for any tables dining or any my son has a single adjustable table and chair but it fits one book if that mainly for meals our place is teeny tiny.

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a meeting at my son's school today we had my son psychologist and an endocrine nurse (social worker couldn't make it but tbh feel the nurse helped a lot more) there and they told the school board about everything that happening to corey and they actually listened so now we are being referred to a child and adult mental health unit (or CAHMs) and we have an exclusion period for up to 5 weeks where we don't have to force my son to school and just work on his mental health which i feel will be a huge help.
    We even told them how anxiety can cause adrenal crisis (as he has adrenal insufficiency) and after corey had a big anxiety attack or meltdown and suddenly had to have a nap as his flight or fight mode just basically gave up they were shocked and the endocrine nurse did us proud and stood up and explained how his body doesn't produce any cortisol and in that flight or fight mode thats using all of his cortisol and how we have to stress dose him or if he has vomited from anxiety we have had to inject and the school board actually seemed interested about his php after that.

So after it all we are all feeling so much less stressed and more calm thankfully and now have some time to take some time out and have a mental health break which is definitely what my son's needs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumtosupermario For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (Today)