+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Routine - 5 month old?

Hi all,

We currently have no routine or flexible schedule at all, just following bubs lead of when he wants to eat, sleep, play etc.

Wanting to slowly start to incorporate a routine if that’s at all possible at this age.

If anyone has any tips on what has worked for them I would love to hear.

I would love to have somewhat predictability over when bub will go to bed for the night so I know I can get things done after “xPM”

He is just over a week shy of 5 months, exclusively BF, BF almost 2 hourly during the day and has roughly 2 wake up feeds during the night.

He will usually have a feed around 6:30/7am but we then both sleep for a short time till around 8/8:30am obviously this doesn’t happen every day, but just so you have an idea to give me tips

Finding that my whole day is just chaos as there is no order just do what baby wants at the time and fit in what I need when he has his tiny day naps which he doesn’t do very often.

Happy if you want to ask more question to give me better advice

Thanks in advance xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

How many hours of sleep is he doing during the night? Including the short bit til 8.30am

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    How many hours of sleep is he doing during the night? Including the short bit til 8.30am
    Just looked, he averaged 10 hours over the last 6 days, falling asleep for the night anywhere between 7pm and 9pm and waking between 7am-8:30am.

During the day he averages about 2 hours 45 mins across 4-5 naps.
    Last edited by Loh4; 09-09-2018 at 14:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At that age I was roughly following this guide a friend sent to me. DD was tricky to get down for a long lunch nap but I found sticking to the max awake time helped. She was waking at least twice a night even when following this but she would always be in bed by 7. We’ve been very gentle in our approach no crying but routine alone has hugely improved our days and nights.

IMG_6591.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Loh4 View Post
    Just looked, he averaged 10 hours over the last 6 days, falling asleep for the night anywhere between 7pm and 9pm and waking between 7am-8:30am.

During the day he averages about 2 hours 45 mins across 4-5 naps.
    I’d try and aim for a 1 hour nap at 10.30am and 3pm. And aim for maybe an 8pm bedtime .
    Can one of those naps be in the car?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it just depends on your individual baby. At 5 months my DD was lucky to last 1.5 hours awake before she needed another nap. She had four or five 30 minute naps a day (she wouldn’t sleep longer than 30 mins at the time), and 10-11 hours overnight. The best thing I found was to just really try to notice the routine she was trying to put herself into, and then structure my days around that. She needed lots of naps, so often I would time outings so that she would sleep in the pram or car on the way there and back.

At about 9 or 10 months old she put herself into a 3 nap a day routine (approx 45 mins - 1hr each), and then around 12 months old she went to two long naps. I’m not sure that I could have changed her sleep pattern at any point, even if I tried. I think I would have just ended up with a tired, cranky baby.

We did help her with sleep cues, which made it easier to put her to bed at around 7.30 every night. Some things we did were always put her down in a sleeping bag (she got to the point where seeing the sleeping bag would make her yawn haha), and just a really simple feed, bath, feed, bed routine in the evening.

I hope that helps! Also, hang in there! I promise it doesn’t last forever

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I think it just depends on your individual baby. At 5 months my DD was lucky to last 1.5 hours awake before she needed another nap. She had four or five 30 minute naps a day (she wouldn’t sleep longer than 30 mins at the time), and 10-11 hours overnight. The best thing I found was to just really try to notice the routine she was trying to put herself into, and then structure my days around that. She needed lots of naps, so often I would time outings so that she would sleep in the pram or car on the way there and back.

At about 9 or 10 months old she put herself into a 3 nap a day routine (approx 45 mins - 1hr each), and then around 12 months old she went to two long naps. I’m not sure that I could have changed her sleep pattern at any point, even if I tried. I think I would have just ended up with a tired, cranky baby.

We did help her with sleep cues, which made it easier to put her to bed at around 7.30 every night. Some things we did were always put her down in a sleeping bag (she got to the point where seeing the sleeping bag would make her yawn haha), and just a really simple feed, bath, feed, bed routine in the evening.

I think this is wonderful advice, no child is the same and what works for one won’t work for the next.

I needed something to follow (even though it was loosely) because I felt lost.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Loh4 (09-09-2018),MLadyEm (09-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    At that age I was roughly following this guide a friend sent to me. DD was tricky to get down for a long lunch nap but I found sticking to the max awake time helped. She was waking at least twice a night even when following this but she would always be in bed by 7. We’ve been very gentle in our approach no crying but routine alone has hugely improved our days and nights.

Attachment 97494
    That pic is awesome, gives me a general idea might be something I can use and tweak to suit him a bit better! If there’s a chance it can help with getting him to bed by 7 every night I’d be happy. Think it would be good to have a set wake up time every day too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I’d try and aim for a 1 hour nap at 10.30am and 3pm. And aim for maybe an 8pm bedtime .
    Can one of those naps be in the car?
    We do some naps in the car, yesterday I did drive and get a coffee from McDonalds drive thru and then park out front of home while he naps and I just sit listening to music in the car haha.

I’ll give it a try, trial and error will hopefully figure out what works best for him

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post

Thank you!! Great advice, he does tend to get that I’m too tired crankiness but as soon as he gets into bed he is more upset. I’ve started trying to get him to sleep for 10-20 minutes if no luck get him out and try again shortly after once he has calmed down. No idea why he suddenly doesn’t like going into his bed. Could this even be due to being in the bassinet still and the limited space he has? Ive been putting off moving him to the cot just yet as we can’t fit it into our room, and he’s very active so will need something to stop him banging his head on the wooden frame of the cot.

I have an app that I track stuff on for DS and you can see a pattern sort of with a variance of an hour or two on some days.

Good to know it gets better yay!!

We have a sleeping bag that we recently got to transition out of swaddling, hopefully he starts to make the association that sleeping bag=sleep time.

Great point on planning trips so you are out when bub needs a sleep I never thought about that, he is a great sleeper in the car, this could work great for us, I usually just make plans for whenever and on these days it feels very chaotic.

I need to be a bit more planned on a night and get him into the routine of eat, bath, eat, sleep.

Thanks for the advice ladies, will test a few different things over the next week and see how he goes.
    Last edited by Loh4; 09-09-2018 at 21:36. Reason: Spelling error

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Loh4 For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (10-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has just fallen asleep, could not be happier, now I can eat dinner and shower at a normal hour yippee