+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Canberra to Brisbane Road Trip

We’ve just booked a “pay now use later” offer at SeaWorld and we will be going up at some point next year, maybe around this time of year (escape the cold!!). We will be going out of school holiday time.

Given that flying up would cost more than what we’ve paid for the 5 nights accomodation, we’ve decided we are going to make it a family road trip. Yes, I am slightly crazy as hopefully I will be pregnant by the time we go! And DSS hates being in the car. But by the time you add up airfares and hire car, it will be cheaper for us to drive, as by then we will have our larger second car that is a diesel and good on the fuel. Not to mention we can pack picnic lunches and be even cheaper that way.

I’ve already figured out that we’ll go up the coast way, and come back the inland way and I know roughly where we’ll break the trip up - hoping to only do 1 overnight stay each way. Obviously would change if I do get pregnant as I would be doing all the driving as DH can’t drive for that long.

But - aside from the Big Banana at Coffs I’m at a total loss as to what else there is on the way, both the coast and inland way, that will be interesting to have a stop at. Anything past the Central Coast I have no idea on, as I’ve never driven anywhere past there. I’ve been to Queensland 3 times in my life, and flew each time!

Any suggestions? We don’t have dates locked in yet, but will probably be August or so, not sure if that will make any difference. Not looking for things that will take a while to do - as I said we’re hoping to do the drive in the 2 days, so just roadside things that we can look at or even really cool parks that DSS will love - he will be 7 when we’re taking the trip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey love the Byron bay lighthouse is a nice stop - the most easterly point of Australia. About 3 hours from Coffs and not too far off the highway. Enjoy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shellzand For This Useful Post:

Pcos30 (06-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you are heading to Byron Bay , hop off the freeway at Lennox Head and go to Knockrow Castle. They have animals and a train , mini golf and a yummy cafe.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to granny1 For This Useful Post:

Pcos30 (06-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Canberra to Brisbane Road Trip

Inland way home (depending how inland you’re going), I would stop at Parkes. They have the radio telescope there that was the basis for the movie “The Dish”. Well worth a stop and a look. Also at Dubbo they have the Zoo there which is supposed to be good as it’s more of a safari park style than your typical city zoos. Dubbo was our stop over point when we drove to Mildura from Brisbane a few years back, it’s a full day driving, but definitely doable. If you stopped there overnight you could do the zoo in the morning and then drive home in the afternoon. Might break the long driving up a bit too.
    Last edited by MLadyEm; 06-09-2018 at 13:05.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Pcos30 (06-09-2018),SuperGranny (07-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks so much! A few ideas - we did Dubbo a few years ago, but it might be nice to do again. Maybe DSS won’t fall asleep halfway around this time lol. With Parkes husband lived there for a while, as did my sister, so we’ve done it to death. Not to mention The Dish won’t hold DSS’s attention!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh, fair enough. I’ve only seen the dish twice (once as a child, once as an adult) so it’s still a novelty