+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ready to Drink Formula

Has anyone else imported it before?
    Australia is the only country to not sell ready to drink baby formula which I find absurd.
    I'm having a C-Section and don't want to fluff about with powder for the first month, I have found a British site to purchase it from as I've seen other Aussies do but the shipping is over $80 which is insane for 12 200ml bottles of milk.
    Just wondering if anyone has done this before and where you purchased it from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I can’t help but am interested in the responses. I’ve only seen ready to drink very small bottles of formula in the hospital.
    I thought perhaps it’s because formula goes bad after a short length of time after being made and can only be used if refrigerated and even then only within 24hrs of being mixed up due to the cultures etc in formula (Midwife explained to me).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have the ready made bottles at work. Once opened they have to be refrigerated and consumed within 24hrs, so you may end up with a lot of wastage in the first few days. It also might be more time consuming if you’re having to warm up bottles rather than being able to give room temp like I know a lot of people do.

I’ve got no idea where we get them from though sorry. I’m sure it’s only a commercial supply because we use so much of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We bought a stack of 90mL bottles from the pharmacy inside the Melbourne Women’s hospital. It was something like 30 bottles for $75 in a big box. Aptimal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They make a few different sizes. 70ml, 200ml and 1L, we would use the 70ml for the first few weeks then move to the 200ml ones. Shouldn't be too much wastage and we find we waste just as much with powder anyway because you have to make up 50-100ml anyway to get an accurate measurement and it needs to also be used in 24hrs after made.
    to be honest GF2018 here in Australia we are basically told that formula feeding is 2nd best so Midwives and Doctors (and anyone who wants to put their 2c in) will give you all kinds of info on Formula that just isn't true just to try and make you think it's "too hard" and breastfeed instead.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wendlle For This Useful Post:

LoveMyWay (26-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried contacting your hospital your birthing in.

My only concern would be if you buy a large quantity and your baby doesn’t like it then your back at square one.

With my first when he went from bf to formula he liked one only so that was easy. With my second we went through 5 different types before we found one that agreed with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wendlle View Post
    They make a few different sizes. 70ml, 200ml and 1L, we would use the 70ml for the first few weeks then move to the 200ml ones. Shouldn't be too much wastage and we find we waste just as much with powder anyway because you have to make up 50-100ml anyway to get an accurate measurement and it needs to also be used in 24hrs after made.
    to be honest GF2018 here in Australia we are basically told that formula feeding is 2nd best so Midwives and Doctors (and anyone who wants to put their 2c in) will give you all kinds of info on Formula that just isn't true just to try and make you think it's "too hard" and breastfeed instead.
    Ah ok. I can’t even think what size we use as it’s been ages since have had to use it. Hopefully you can find a more local supplier then, $80 postage is a lot!! Although I guess when you think of the weight of the package it makes sense.

I don’t think it’s true that midwives/doctors give out false information - I certainly don’t, BUT because education and promotion of breastfeeding is part of our job, I guess it might be easy for people to feel like it’s being pushed on them. I will admit that I really don’t know a lot about formula feeding. Because of our job and our role, we’re actually not allowed to promote formula (not personal, not hospital but because of the World Health Organisation guidelines) so therefore our exposure to information about it is limited. Breastfeeding is hard work and anyone who thinks otherwise has obviously never breastfed, it’s definitely not always the “easy option”.

I’m not trying to cause any debate about it because there just shouldn’t be one, but breastfeeding is the biologically normal way to feed a baby so it is always going to be promoted as the “gold standard”. HOWEVER, formula of course is a completely appropriate alternative for women who choose not to BF, for whatever reason. Formula, however will never be the same as breastmilk because it doesn’t have the biological aspects of breastmilk - antibodies etc. At the end of the day, you’ve made your choice to FF and people should just respect that. If anyone tries to make you feel guilty for not BF just need to be flipped the bird.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Happymumlgm (28-08-2018),shellzand (27-08-2018),YeahYeahYeah (26-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pharmacy at the hospital where I had my DD sold the premade bottles. I noticed another hospital listed above did the same. Maybe check the pharmacy at the hospital you’re delivering at. I’ve also seen premeasured satchets at baby bunting before. Powder is easy at home though, I grabbed some premixed bottles last time to have in my nappy bag in case I got short when out though and also good when travelling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wendlle View Post
    Lol!!! It worked on me for a while

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    My only concern would be if you buy a large quantity and your baby doesn’t like it then your back at square one.
    This would be my concern. I tried ready made when we were travelling overseas as I thought it would be awesomely convenient. DD hated the couple of brands we tried (was pretty easy to find a different O.S. brand powdered formula she liked).

On the run, I would have a thermos of hot water and a bottle of cold water. To make up a bottle, I'd mix quantities to the right temp then add the powder pre-measured from a dispenser. At home I would microwave cold water to the right temp, then add formula. To heat the pre-made, the only way to do it is to use a warmer or sit in a bowl of hot water - both very slow! I tried to get DD to take room temp formula but it never worked.

Honestly, when I first saw the premade formula, especially in the bottles that you just pop a teat on, I thought it would be awesome. It just made me realise that mixing the powder wasn't much work at all.