+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need advice for IVF over 43

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I am 43 and had two failed IVF cycles started early this year. Both cycles had 5 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilised but none of them survived till day 5 for transfer ( second cycle FS added melatonin, Levlen ED and CoQ10 to improve egg quality, no DHEA was given). My FS concluded my eggs quality are poor, no worth continuing with more cycles, should be considering egg and embroy donor program. It is pretty depressing to me. I am now thinking to switch FS for a last try, I live in Perth. Anyone could recommend me a FS in Perth whom is experienced in improving poor egg quality for my age please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Those egg numbers sound pretty good to me. I don't think i ever got 5 eggs in an EPU. I now have 2 kids ☺

I'd be giving it another try if you can, after a second opinion. Maybe ask about DHEA and Day 3 transfers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Just Jaq for your encouragement and suggestion, your shared experience is really inspiring to me especially at this point of time. I suggested the same ideas to my FS but he thinks it won’t make any difference. In his opinion, day 3 transfer is an old method no one practices it now. Statistic showed if an egg can’t survive till day 5, it won’t survive in my womb even we transfer it in day 3. At our recent review, FS mentioned one of the eggs had some chromosome defeats and the last fertilise egg survived only till day 3.5 days, it is a grade B egg (not grade A). He concluded these are the signs of aged eggs, looking for donor is the way. 😪

Anyway he is willing to try out my suggestion - day 3 transfer (I haven’t mentioned DHEA to him yet) on my third round just to satisfy me or give me a closure to stop IVF. I am bit disappointed with my FS’s comments, I thought looking out for someone whom is more proactive to improve my egg quality is the way. I am currently with FSWA. I would greatly appreciate if you or any of your friends with similar experience could pm me the contact of another FS for second opinion. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What was your protocol? Which drugs and doses? Did you do the same protocol both times?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Risa, first cycle was aiming to have embroy testing; I was not given any supp to improve egg quality. Purely going through a standard straight forwards protocol. At first round, 5 eggs extracted, 3 fertilised and none survived in day 5. FS concluded it could be due to our embryos being too fragile to go through testing process hence at second round, FS abolished embroy testing. FS aimed to improve egg quality and to perform fresh transfer. Again, same number of eggs extracted and fertilised but none survived afer 3.5-4 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any FS recommendations in WA, sorry.

As i understand it, FSs have different opinions about whether embryos might do better in than out - ie whether some Day 3s might succeed in the natural environment if implanted, rather than in the culture medium until day 5.

I didn't get many embryos, and my FS essentially thought better in than out. I never got Day 5 embryos. My 2 children are as a result of Day 3 embryos!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Just Jaq, thanks for sharing your experience. Don’t mind me asking if you have been told your eggs are graded A or B? Coz I have been informed only grade A egg will develope and survive in mother’s womb. My last survival egg was grade B according to the embryologist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Bennywaj. My clinic never told me the grading, sorry. We never had embryos to choose between - there was always just the one, at best!

I think a second opinion with a new clinic might help you. Go along with a list of questions ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don’t believe the grading system. My final cycle my embryos were graded so poorly that the FS recommended not going ahead with the transfer. I insisted that we o the transfer. One of those in now my happy, intelligent, beautiful DD.

There is still a lot to learn in this area and the science is nowhere near understood.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Bennywaj  (14-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    I don’t believe the grading system. My final cycle my embryos were graded so poorly that the FS recommended not going ahead with the transfer. I insisted that we o the transfer. One of those in now my happy, intelligent, beautiful DD.

There is still a lot to learn in this area and the science is nowhere near understood.
    Yep. There are lots of once-were dodgy looking embryos running around now i reckon!

I do remember that the clinic was concerned that one of mine was a bit slow to develop. He never stops now!