+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, thank you sooo much for everyone for the supportive and informative messages I am beyond grateful!! You are all such amazing women and so happy for you to share your stories and suggestions with me.
    I drove home from work half crying/half trying to hold back the tears but ended up bumping into my neighbour who is in her early 40's and has many friends who spent A LOT of money on egg freezing that didn't work and then ended up getting pregnant naturally in their early 40's just as you mentioned @bel2466 then coming and reading all your messages I am feeling like the egg freezing would be a waste of money at this stage ( I would be taking out an $8K loan for something that has very low odds)...again though as you said @Mod-Wise Enough waiting for Mr Right is very low, congratulations on your 2 beautiful girls and for taking the leap to do it on your own. I admire your strength.
    Tbh, I also felt very 'rushed & pushed' by Genea the fertility clinic I was going through, they wanted me to start asap and if I questioned was it worth it, they kept saying I only need one good egg but when I asked for numbers on women my age/AHM levels that froze then were able to conceive with those eggs at a later date they said it was too early to give numbers....??? one nurse told me that most women didn't come back to use their eggs and got pregnant naturally.
    Was also informed that there is a sperm doner shortage in Australia...! goes to show how many women are doing it on their own these days.
    Still unsure as to what I will do...I need to do some strong soul searching...I love love and want to fall in love and have a family but at the same time I don't want to miss my opportunity to be a mum...that would crush me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your message and sharing @Risa78 you had me in tear, I am so sorry you haven't conceived yet, but I will include you in my prayers, sometimes I believe we just have to hand it over to the universe and what is suppose to happen at that time will happen. I hope and pray your next try takes and you become a beautiful mum. I would love to stay in touch and keep up with your journey.
    Yes, you are completely right, Genea the clinic I went to definitely glossed over the success rate, when I went in there crying after finding out my AHM was 5 and being almost 39 I told them I had been reading up on the percentages of the frozen eggs actually turning into a baby and I was so broken, they told me to get off the internet and basically wanted me to start asap. Like I mentioned above when I asked for percentages of women that actually conceived from freezing their eggs in a situation like mine they couldn't tell me anything.
    I really appreciate your questions...because yeah, I would be crushed if I froze eggs and none worked when I was ready, I want to be a mum, I could do it alone, most of my friends are single mums who got pregnant young to looser guys.
    A bit of my history is I eloped young at 22 and the guy was a few years older and wanted to settle down but I wanted to party, I got to 30 and was ready to try for a baby but after a year and a half we didn't succeed then after tests found out his sperm was abnormal shape, before we could try IVF he had an affair and that was it...after 2.5yrs met another guy, 5 yrs younger and after a 2 yr relationship he told me he didn't want children...
    so yeah, guys will always screw you around but a child, I see the bonds with my friends and their kids and I want that.
    Thank you again and I wish you all the luck in the world that next cycle is the one!! x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kristybelle14 For This Useful Post:

Risa78 (01-09-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @kristybelle14,
    As a woman which is 43, I had my first child at 40, then at 41 and 42 I froze some eggs (left partner at 40 too), now I'm pregnant with twins using a donor, I can provide a few words on the topic.
    Mr right may never exist! Yes, you are right it will take time starting relationship, making sure you are on the same page, then trying. If the relationship falls apart, then you'll be battling over custody etc. Meanwhile you are loosing time, and if there are some issues they are less likely to be successfully addressed.
    If you do go down the donor path, I would recommend you have a look for a clinic which has access to an international sperm bank, such as cryobank. There are some top quality donors out there.
    Shop around for a clinic, ask about success rates. When you get to 40 (to 44), the national success rate for IVF is, 1 live birth for every 20 IVF cycles. Some clinics even bulk bill.
    Don't hesitate to ask about drugs, etc, within this forum. My experience is that too much, can result in low quality eggs. Don't rush into a transfer straight after egg collection, your hormones can be affected which can have a negative affect.
    Expect to do at least 2 rounds, the second round may yield better results.
    An antral follicle count of 13 is ok, and don't feel like you need to go on the donor waiting list. Yes, quality may be down, but, fingers crossed, you should be still able to produce some good embryos.
    Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie1 For This Useful Post:

BeachMummy40 (22-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kristybelle14 View Post
    Hi there new to this forum and so glad I found it! was struggling to find people to discuss my position with that understood.

So I'm 38 (39 in November), single (Sydney is impossible to date, just jerk after jerk). I would love nothing more to be a mum and have a family one day, didn't see myself at this point in life.

I looked into freezing my eggs, my ultra sound showed 13 follicles but my tests showed my AHM level was 5 (healthy would be 10 for my age). The fertility GP informed me I would be lucky to get 5 to freeze.

I was quiet disheartened after knowing that some of them may be abnormal or die freezing, defrosting. It is a lot of money...I'm really confused.

Has anyone else been in a similar position and had success?

Thank you in advance x
    Hi Kristybelle,

Yes, I have been in your position right down to your point about finding jerk after jerk in Sydney. All lied to me in some way, they were engaged or in a relationship or even lied about wanting children just so I would see them again! Absolute time wasters and I couldn’t do it any longer.

I froze my eggs through Genea 5 years ago at 35 with low AMH. I have posted my story elsewhere on my thread.

It’s the best thing I ever did. I have a baby now through using my frozen eggs and via a known donor program and nothing else matters anymore. I am loving the break from all the bs. I can take my time and find the right one later on down the track with no pressure!

Besides, I figure most men in their 40’s will have a child or two of their own so having a new partner with a child won’t bother them!

I am now in the process of a new cycle for bub no. 2 and retrieved more eggs than I did 5 yrs ago which is interesting (41 now). We will see how that goes.

Happy for a PM if you wish!
    Last edited by BeachMummy40; 22-08-2018 at 17:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congratulations. I say go for it. Motherhood is amazing and this in my eyes is your chance to be a mum. Men come and go but miracles don’t happen often and this is a miracle.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachMummy40 View Post
    It’s the best thing I ever did. I have a baby now through using my frozen eggs and via a known donor program and nothing else matters anymore. I am loving the break from all the bs. I can take my time and find the right one later on down the track
    How great is it!! It’s so much pressure off. No need to settle for a knob. Just you and you’re awesome bubbas. I kinda feel like I made my own soul mates.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

BeachMummy40 (22-08-2018),Hetty (16-09-2018),turquoisecoast (22-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 38, single & a low AHM...is it worth freezing my eggs?

Have a look in to No. 1 Fertility in Melbourne. I know you’re in Sydney but might be worth the flight! It’s Lynn Burmeisters New clinic and she’s doing a lot of egg freezing at low cost if that’s something you decide to do.

There are lots of ways to help increase the quality of your eggs too ie supplements - egg life cycle is 100 days so I’d spend that 100 days doing all you could to help increase the quality.

You can do it!! (Whether that be freezing eggs or solo parenting)

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As someone who has been through the trenches of IVF (and I started at 30) I would really look at your options for freezing embryo’s with donor sperm. They’d be frozen in time for you, so if you didn’t want to try them now you wouldn’t have to, but if you got to 40/41 they would be ready and waiting for you to try. I’ve seen so many girls go through immense stress in their early 40’s trying to conceive and even if you met Mr Right, it takes time to know you’re both ready to try for a baby. I HATE the biological clock ticking phrase, but when you get past 38 it really is true. You’re being really smart, and keeping all your options open. I have a friend almost the same age, considering the same thing. Remember AMH, is just an indicator, I know a lot of girls with super low AMH who had no trouble at all. I know others with perfect AMH who had a lot of trouble. As others have said, you really don’t know how good your eggs are, until you actually try to fall pregnant. 4 or 5 38 Year old frozen embryo’s would give you a much better chance at a baby, than just eggs. In my humble opinion. I also know quite a few friends who’ve gone down the solo parent path at this age and have never looked back. They all said they are so glad they didn’t wait till 42 or 43 when the chances would have been so much lower.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help J

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if my opinion will be very helpful (but I'll give it anyway). I think when it comes to freezing eggs, its probably worthwhile if you're say in your late 20's/early 30's looking to preserve egg quality and not planning to get pregnant for another 5 or 10 years. But if you're already 38, perhaps you should just go for it and get pregnant sooner rather than later.

The timing will never be 100% perfect, but at some stage you just decide to take a leap of faith and find a way to make it work.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin14 View Post
    There are lots of ways to help increase the quality of your eggs too ie supplements - egg life cycle is 100 days so I’d spend that 100 days doing all you could to help increase the quality.
    Sorry to butt in, but any recommendations for supplements before you even start the egg freezing process please? I'm now only at the pre-screening tests, i.e. blood tests, ultrasound... While I have the support of my wonderful circle, I'm the first to be doing this so I'm feeling really alone with no reference point. Enter teh interwebs