+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 38, single & a low AHM...is it worth freezing my eggs?

Hi there new to this forum and so glad I found it! was struggling to find people to discuss my position with that understood.

So I'm 38 (39 in November), single (Sydney is impossible to date, just jerk after jerk). I would love nothing more to be a mum and have a family one day, didn't see myself at this point in life.

I looked into freezing my eggs, my ultra sound showed 13 follicles but my tests showed my AHM level was 5 (healthy would be 10 for my age). The fertility GP informed me I would be lucky to get 5 to freeze.

I was quiet disheartened after knowing that some of them may be abnormal or die freezing, defrosting. It is a lot of money...I'm really confused.

Has anyone else been in a similar position and had success?

Thank you in advance x

Thanks
    Reviews
    ...oops sorry I meant my ultra sound showed 13 eggs that cycle (not follicles)...sorry new to all this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sorry you’re facing this very difficult decision. An ultrasound can’t see eggs, so 13 follicles sounds right.

At 38, nearly 39 I think there’s a very good chance you’d be wasting your money. Some follicles won’t have eggs and some eggs won’t be suitable quality. Of the eggs that look normal, only a small percentage would actually be normal, if any. Sorry to have to say that. I know how hard it is to be in this position at your age.

I would save your money to have a baby with a donor egg instead if you’d consider that. It’s hard to contemplate it though until you’re content to give up on your own eggs.

I have two children conceived from donor eggs with my husband, and I know many single women who have gone this way also after being in the same situation as you.

I really wish you the best.

ETA....sorry, just realised you were looking for success stories rather than opinions. Maybe I was out of line to comment. Wishing you the best.
    Last edited by MrsErinR; 08-08-2018 at 16:41.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

atomicmama (22-08-2018),kristybelle14 (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi. This falls firmly in the realm of opinion rather than experience as well, hopefully you'll get replies based on experience too.

As a reluctant IVF veteran I just wanted to caution against extrapolating too much from other people's experience, good or bad. Just because someone succeeded or failed doesn't mean you will, it doesn't say anything about your chances. I know it can be hugely comforting to hear that someone has been through a similar experience and come out the other side happy, but.....the fact is, until you've tried to get pregnant, you have zero idea about the quality of your eggs.

If it's an option for you, and if using your own eggs is very important to you, the best chance you have would be to do IVF with donor sperm right now, without waiting for the perfect time or the perfect man.

That doesn't mean it won't work if you do freeze your eggs for later. If you do freeze though, make sure it's with the best possible lab. And freeze as many as you possibly can - the attrition rate in IVF can be horrific, and you'll need those eggs to thaw, to fertilise, to make embryos, to implant and keep growing. Some people are lucky, for others it can take many, many eggs to get there, and right now you simply don't know at which end of that scale you sit.

Hope you don't mind me weighing in, sorry if it's too forthright.
    Last edited by Kalina; 08-08-2018 at 17:06.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Happymumlgm (09-08-2018),HearMeRoar (10-08-2018),JustJaq (08-08-2018),kristybelle14 (08-08-2018),Mod-Wise Enough (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    From what i understand, embryos freeze much better than eggs.

As @Kalina said, it might be worth considering donor sperm rather than waiting to be sure you've met 'the one'. A lot of pressure to put on a new relationship too..

Good luck!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar (10-08-2018),kristybelle14 (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are on the pill it could make the quantity and quality of your eggs lower.

I think having a child is amazing and a lady i bumped into did it using donor sperm.

She was your age and it worked first go.

I think if its important to you ..get onto it right away as you produce better and more eggs now then you will if you wait.

All the best.

Butterfly Baby

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterfly Baby For This Useful Post:

kristybelle14 (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think definitely give it a shot. Better now than never. Firstly AMH is being increasingly shown to be inaccurate and not a great indication of egg reserve. Secondly a close friend of mine aged 38 had AMH of 2 did 2 cycles and froze 5 and 8 eggs respectively. She then went on to have a baby boy naturally
    Best of luck but if I were you I’d give it a go and sooner rather than later

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Opinion again here .

I found out at 31 that I had low AMH. My sister had no eggs left at 35 which was why I was tested.

I was single and had never expected to go the solo route. So I was faced with the choice of finding a partner I wanted to have kids with straight away, or go the solo route. I didn’t want that sort of pressure on dates. I didn’t want to be stuck with an annoying tool just so I could have kids. Plus even if I met a perfect guy, he either might not want kids, or could have already had them. Men in their late 30s/40s usually have some baggage.

So I became a solo mother by choice. I never imagined that would be my life. But it’s amazing. I have two beautiful girls. I parent my way with no compromise. I see so many friends struggling with relationships as raising kids are hard and requires a lot of work, when someone isn’t pulling their weight it breeds so much resentment.

You can try freezing your eggs. But what are you waiting for if you know the odds of finding Mr Right are low?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar (10-08-2018),kristybelle14 (08-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My understanding is that embryos freeze better than eggs, so I would pursue that option with donor sperm in preference to egg freezing.
    Unfortunately the thing I've found about IVF is that age is a major determinant. After 35, things go downhill, and this definitely has an impact on success rates.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some great advice above.

Unfortunately while we have the technology to freeze either eggs or embryos - embryos survive the thaw much, much better than eggs. So with egg freezing you tend to get a very big drop off from number frozen to number that thawed. Then you have the usual IVF drop offs:
    - number that fertilise
    - number that make day 3
    - number that make day 5 embryos ready for transfer or freeze
    - number of embryos that survive thaw

Until you start thawing eggs, growing them in the lab and transferring embryos you have no idea what your egg quality is like and how many 5 day embryos you will need. It might be 1 it might be 30 (hopefully not!).

Hanging out on these forums, I’ve heard a few stories of ladies who froze eggs and when they thawed them ended up with only 1 or 2 embryos which didn’t take so had to start IVF again much older. One had frozen 30+ eggs. I’ve also heard of one lady who had success with eggs frozen at 40 and is currently pregnant. So it can happen, but unfortunately not the norm.

A few questions to ask yourself...
    - how would you feel if you try to use the eggs in a few years and it doesn’t work?
    - how do you feel about donor egg as a backup option if that happens? As with low AMH now your eggs may not be viable then
    - how do you feel about not having a child?
    - if you really want a child, would being a solo mum be an option for you? If so using donor sperm and freezing embryos now would give you much better odds of success, better yet would be to start trying to conceive now. (Note: Not all clinics allow ‘freeze all’ cycles with donor sperm but some do so shop around... just ask to speak to donor team)
    - another option is to hedge your bets and freeze some eggs and some embryos

Sorry I know that is A LOT to take in and I remember being at this point a couple of years ago. But it’s important to understand the egg freezing success rates as unfortunately many clinics love to gloss over this.

There’s no right or wrong path. Just do your research and think through all the ‘what ifs’ to decide what you feel comfortable with.

About me... I’m single. AMH of 5.7 at 37. I started IVF at 38 with donor sperm. Like previous posters I hated the stress the ticking biological clock was putting on dating/relationships. So I decided to go it solo. Two years and 7 IVF cycles later I am still trying. I am the ‘bad case’ scenario and don’t want to scare you as you are not me and unlikely to be as unlucky as me

Best of luck whatever you decide.

R

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Risa78 For This Useful Post:

kristybelle14 (08-08-2018),Mod-Wise Enough (09-08-2018)