+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When do babies sleep better with no sleep training?

Hi ladies,

I have a 15 month old who cosleeps with me for most of the night. He does have most of his naps in his cot or the car but will sleep a lot longer on/with me. Every time his sleep improves, he will catch a cold or something and it will go backwards again. With my older son, I did a bit of sleep training around 7 months and it worked so well, he's a great sleeper. But whenever I tried to do so with my youngest, he would get so hysterical I just couldn't do it. He also had some tummy issues/food intolerances as a young bub so I comforted him however I could, and he lost the ability to self settle which he was pretty good at to start with. I absolutely love our bond and our cuddles and don't regret providing what he needs, but I'm tired. And we want another baby next year so I would love for Leo to become a little more independent with his sleep.

So my question is - if you did a gentle approach with your baby/toddler, when did they actually improve??? I'm trying to hold out til 18 months but like I said I'm feeling exhausted

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 6 kids and co slept or bed shared with all.
    I’m trying to remember about sleep!
    All were bf on demand around the clock. Pretty much totally child led parenting is one way of describing. Pretty much for the same reason as you, they became hysterical if I tried to control their sleeping or eating.

My first started to sleep through at 18 months. He was a really highly strung baby. Ended up he has autism but since 18 mths he has been an excellent sleeper.
    My other asd son would have been around two and also became an excellent sleeper.

My first daughter was sleeping through but not breastfed any longer at 1. The other 3 were more difficult and 2 of them bf longer.
    I would say on average they started sleeping better by 2.5 years old.

I think that 18 mths though would be fairly average for most bf babies to start sleeping all night.

All the best!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebirdgirl For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer (07-08-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I agree - about 18 months - 20 months my co-sleeping breastfed babies sleep through the night. Currently my 21 months old sleeps from about 6.30pm - 6.30am, she might wake once for a dream feed (very quick, a minute or two) but it's no issue.
    I often think that my babes started to sleep better when I started to feed them more solids. Now, I make sure that they are very well fed before bed time otherwise they will wake hungry through the night, looking to feed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I’ve done no sleep training and my 4 yo rarely sleeps through the night. However my 6yo improved at 3 when I had her tonsils out

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like this is probably child dependant. My son literally never slept as a baby. He’d wake every 45-60 mins and did for months on end (you can read my journal, I struggled a lot, we went to sleep school and I saw a psychologist). But he gradually got better. I never slept trained and we fed on demand (just self weaned in the last week)

By around 9 months we were down to 2-3 wake ups per night, by 12 months down to one, then around 14 months he started constantly sleeping through, which for him is around 7.30pm-6am. We might get one night a fortnight where I get up to him.

For every nap and night sleep, I rocked him to sleep. Just in the last month or so he doesn’t want to sleep in my arms anymore so I pop him in the cot and he goes off to sleep by himself.

I used a very gentle approach, no sleep training and also go to him as soon as he cries. Good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Thescientist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the responses. I weaned him from breastfeeding at 11.5 months but it unfortunately didn't help (unlike with my older son who started sleeping through at that age after weaning). Definitely agree it's child dependent but was just hoping for a general idea - which you have given me! I will hold out for 18 months and reevaluate.

Thank you ♡

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ds improved around 18-20 months. Though colds etc during winter did disturb him a lot. He was sleeping 12 hrs overnight by two. Still with cosleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good question! I often wondered if the night waking would ever end. I co slept with mine until 7 months for all naps and at night until I couldn't take it anymore, and did "responsive settling" to get him in his own cot. He woke 1-3 times a night for a bf until he was 2. On his own accord, he started sleeping through after his 2nd birthday. If he's sick he'll wake up once a night and I still bf him back to sleep. It'll get better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default When do babies sleep better with no sleep training?

I think my youngest was about 18 months when he stopped wanting to be fed to sleep, 20ish months when he started putting himself to sleep and was down to 1-2 overnight wakes, and about 2 when he pretty consistently started sleeping through. (Usually around 7:15-6:30).

At 3, he still sleeps in a cot right next to our bed, but rarely needs help sleeping anymore.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer (28-01-2019)